Former UConn guard Alterique Gilbert finds success, ‘living his best life’ at Wichita State | The Boneyard

Former UConn guard Alterique Gilbert finds success, ‘living his best life’ at Wichita State

Reaction Score
Dom Amore: Former UConn guard Alterique Gilbert finds success, ‘living his best life’ at Wichita State

Alternate access

As he goes through the season, Gilbert stays in touch with former UConn teammates and checks out the Huskies when he can, such as the Villanova game last week.

“Of course. We made that commitment once we stepped on that campus,” he says. “That was a brotherhood for life. That’s just a great feeling to have, being way out here in the Midwest, knowing I have UConn ties is a comforting feeling.”

Reaction Score
He gave us four years. He fulfilled his verbal commitment, through a lot of crap and disappointment. I have nothing but respect for the young man, and if we play WSU in the tourney I will be rooting for him personally.

Vance Jackson, on the other hand ....

Reaction Score
He gave us four years. He fulfilled his verbal commitment, through a lot of crap and disappointment. I have nothing but respect for the young man, and if we play WSU in the tourney I will be rooting for him personally.

Vance Jackson, on the other hand ....

I'm happy to see that things are working out well for Alterique.

No need to take a gratuitous shot at Vance Jackson though. He transferred years ago, and given the circumstances, it was totally understandable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I absolutely am rooting for him. No one has been more star-crossed than Gilbert. He’s overdue for some breaks. It sounds like he’s in a good place mentally, which is great.

Always a husky.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hurley was probably the perfect coach for that time of AGs life. Hurley’s impact on the bball aside, he’s a coach that seems to really care about his players and positively impacting their lives.

AG deserves all the success he can. He’s earned it.

Reaction Score
I know there are more important things in life that COVID has affected and caused harm to, but I hated it caused the cancellation of the NCAA tournament and the NIT, although it was the right thing to do.

I really wanted to see Rique and Vital play in the postseason games. Rique earned that right as he was playing good ball coming off the bench. I am glad I made the trip from Boston to Storrs to see them play on Senior Night against Houston.

Reaction Score
Hurley was probably the perfect coach for that time of AGs life. Hurley’s impact on the bball aside, he’s a coach that seems to really care about his players and positively impacting their lives.

AG deserves all the success he can. He’s earned it.
Plus Hurley battled his own demons in college so I'm sure he was empathetic to Gilbert's struggles and could relate.

Reaction Score
I'm happy to see that things are working out well for Alterique.

No need to take a gratuitous shot at Vance Jackson though. He transferred years ago, and given the circumstances, it was totally understandable.

Gratuitous? Yes. Unfair? While I respect your opinion, I beg to differ. This is a player who was given a much bigger role than his play deserved due to various injuries, and spent his year here worried that his role wasn't big enough and publicly whining about it. I don't wish him poorly in life, but would I take pleasure in beating the crap out of his current team? Yes, I would.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being part of Husky Nation is a lifetime membership. He played hard every minute. Tough breaks tough kid. He should be remember as the one who stayed when others bailed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Gratuitous? Yes. Unfair? While I respect your opinion, I beg to differ. This is a player who was given a much bigger role than his play deserved due to various injuries, and spent his year here worried that his role wasn't big enough and publicly whining about it. I don't wish him poorly in life, but would I take pleasure in beating the crap out of his current team? Yes, I would.
Ollie told him to "get in the gym" when he asked how to improve his game. Every kid that transfered out of that toxic situation deserves a pass. Not like he took any shots at the school on his way out.

Reaction Score
Ollie told him to "get in the gym" when he asked how to improve his game.

I know this is boneyard legend at this point but other than, I guess, Vance saying this, how do we know this is true?

I don’t wish ill on the kid at all, but I’m the furthest thing from a recruiting junky and even I was aware that Vance Jackson had stage parents and an over inflated sense of his abilities before he stepped foot on campus. I’m not surprised in the least he’s at his third program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ollie told him to "get in the gym" when he asked how to improve his game. Every kid that transfered out of that toxic situation deserves a pass. Not like he took any shots at the school on his way out.

What nonsense. Tate George was once hanging around Calhoun’s office talking about how to make himself better. Calhoun said something like “The guards at Seton Hall are in the gym working on making themselves better.”

This kind of urban myth because we hate Ollie in hindsight is worthless. There is a time to have serious discussions with your coach about how to improve, and there are times to shut up and work your butt off. Neither you nor I have any idea from that story which of those times it was.

Reaction Score
Hope he gets to play on a nice european beach for a couple few years before a nice long coaching career. Great guy and very good player at his peak

Reaction Score
Just saw that Wichita State has a Net of 67 even after upsetting Houston.

"A significant addition to the conference schedule of the Wichita State men’s basketball team could be announced as early as Thursday, according to American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco in an interview with The Wichita Eagle."

"On Wednesday, Aresco told The Eagle that the AAC will prioritize its bubble teams — WSU, SMU and Memphis — with its scheduling decisions the final two weeks of the regular season and attempt to give those three teams the best opportunities."

AAC commissioner on Wichita State basketball schedule | The Wichita Eagle (kansas.com)

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Man, AG leaving with his chin up and nothing but good things to say about the UConn program and we the fans isn't enough for some of you? That kid gave everything he had. Might not have been what you were hoping for but he gave it all.

He never got a chance to have a great family life as a kid but was still brave enough to open up about his mental health struggles publicly. And we still have some people here trying to tear the young man down?

F^ing disgusting some of the takes on here. He doesn't live in Storrs anymore but he's still UConn family.

Reaction Score
Nothing but respect for AG. That kid was a true warrior for us. Even tho he had a limited time at UConn, he always came to play, always leaving it all on the court. Wish him nothing but the best throughout the rest of his career. Husky for life!

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What nonsense. Tate George was once hanging around Calhoun’s office talking about how to make himself better. Calhoun said something like “The guards at Seton Hall are in the gym working on making themselves better.”

This kind of urban myth because we hate Ollie in hindsight is worthless. There is a time to have serious discussions with your coach about how to improve, and there are times to shut up and work your butt off. Neither you nor I have any idea from that story which of those times it was.
I'm positive this has been reported on officially. If not I'll take the L. But do you really think KO was invested in these kids development? Do you think it was a coincidence 3 top 70 recruits transfered in one off-season? We know Ollie stopped trying, this isn't a disputed topic.

Reaction Score
I'm positive this has been reported on officially. If not I'll take the L. But do you really think KO was invested in these kids development? Do you think it was a coincidence 3 top 70 recruits transfered in one off-season? We know Ollie stopped trying, this isn't a disputed topic.

Reaction Score
This has been discussed extensively. The fact that he's been with 2 other programs and still has not "got in the gym" is all you should need to know.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom