Former UConn Assistant Patrick Sellers Named Head Coach at CCSU | The Boneyard

Former UConn Assistant Patrick Sellers Named Head Coach at CCSU

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
For those that don’t know: Patrick Sellers - Assistant Men's Basketball Coach - Staff Directory - Fairfield University Athletics

He brings a wealth of experience to the Fairfield program, serving as a college basketball coach since joining the Central Connecticut State University staff for the 1999-2000 campaign. During his time at Central Connecticut, the Blue Devils made two NCAA tournament appearances in 2000 and 2002.

Sellers accepted a position as an assistant coach at the University of Massachusetts for the 2003-04 season before taking an assistant coaching job at the University of Connecticut from 2004-10. While with the Huskies, he was instrumental in recruiting Jeremy Lamb, Tyler Olander, and Shabazz Napier who provided the foundation for the 2011 and 2014 national championships.

Reaction Score
About as good of a hire as they’re going to get. They really went the opposite direction of Donyell this time. Sellers has a great basketball mind and knows how to run a college program, but probably isn’t going to bring in the level of talent that Donyell could.

Will be interesting to see if they try to push for some international recruits.

Reaction Score
Excellent on all fronts. Capable assistant coach who has earned his first head coaching gig. Plus, you have the alum status too. Relatively speaking, a home run hire.

CCSU returns three players, two of which are pretty decent players (Ian Krishnan and Zach Newkirk), so plenty of space for Sellers to make some moves.

Stinks to start recruiting in May, but if he nabs a D1 grad transfer or two that will help CCSU have a chance to get out of the NEC gutter. I'll be rooting for them and will try to catch a game at SHU this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Best of luck to Coach Sellers. He picked a tough row to hoe. Hard to win there but Central is a nice little campus and the folks there do care about the team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Anytime someone who has paid his due and has been a very capable assistant gets the chance to take the controls its a great thing
Especially someone with strong UConn ties
Patrick is a quality person
Best of luck Coach

Reaction Score
Good luck to Patrick I believe he will do a really good job for the local Blue Devils. Has paid his dues as a solid hard working assistant for years it’s his time.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Patrick I believe he will do a really good job for the local Blue Devils. Has paid his dues as a solid hard working assistant for years it’s his time.
Thrilled to death for coach sellers
Absolutely the nicest best guy, love when good things happen to good people
Been friends w him since he was coaching at ST.Thomas Aquinas!
So happy for him.

Reaction Score
Thrilled to death for coach sellers
Absolutely the nicest best guy, love when good things happen to good people
Been friends w him since he was coaching at ST.Thomas Aquinas!
So happy for him.
Pat is a great guy. When I was a senior at aquinas he was there coaching under Jerry D and he was great to me when I started my journalism career covering ccsu with some of howie s great teams. If you saw him out, always willing to chat and is a really nice person. He got a raw deal at UConn, but was vindicated. Good for him.

Reaction Score
Pat is a great guy. When I was a senior at aquinas he was there coaching under Jerry D and he was great to me when I started my journalism career covering ccsu with some of howie s great teams. If you saw him out, always willing to chat and is a really nice person. He got a raw deal at UConn, but was vindicated. Good for him.
After doing some research he really beat out some impressive applicants interested in the position
Good for him and CCSU, u got a good one.
Good luck Coach Sellers

Reaction Score
All of the above is true. While he got a raw deal on the NCAA thing, his loyalty is respected in the coaching profession.
Stand up guy, know about a lot of the crap that he became the fall guy for.
He never defended himself w me but so many others cane to his defense w me.
Really respected how he handled the adversity.
I know it wasn't easy for him, he loved being at UConn. Still remember how pumped he was when he got hired there

Reaction Score
I'm an Aquinas guy too.

Reaction Score
Happy to hear this. I never met Pat but I had a class with Rod. Rod was a great guy when I knew him, very down to earth. It doesn’t surprise me to read so many good things about Pat.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Happy to hear this. I never met Pat but I had a class with Rod. Rod was a great guy when I knew him, very down to earth. It doesn’t surprise me to read so many good things about Pat.
Agree with what you said about Rod. I had 2-3 classes with him over the years and he was genuinely just a good dude. Even once the players became "stars" on campus he didn't change who he was in person.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After doing some research he really beat out some impressive applicants interested in the position
Good for him and CCSU, u got a good one.
Good luck Coach Sellers
Yup. Grant Billmeier, Kelvin Jefferson, Steve Curran, and TJ Sorrentine are all gonna get their shots at the D1 level. Really tough to pass up Billmeier.
As a CCSU fan, I’m obviously rooting hard for Pat—great guy, very well-respected, extremely hard-working and articulate, and a CCSU-grad. ??

Reaction Score
Yup. Grant Billmeier, Kelvin Jefferson, Steve Curran, and TJ Sorrentine are all gonna get their shots at the D1 level. Really tough to pass up Billmeier.
As a CCSU fan, I’m obviously rooting hard for Pat—great guy, very well-respected, extremely hard-working and articulate, and a CCSU-grad. ??
Kelvin Jefferson that coached at Hyde? And yes Bielmeier from what I heard can recruit and is real relatable with kids. My young boy Q McKnight that played at Seton Hall was real fond of him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom