Former 'Cuser BJ Johnson | The Boneyard

Former 'Cuser BJ Johnson

Reaction Score
He transferred to LaSalle after two seasons. Last night he lit up URI for 29/23 in an OT loss.

He was really good too bad he turned it over at the end of the game with an awful decision trying to dribble through a double team.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
He was really good too bad he turned it over at the end of the game with an awful decision trying to dribble through a double team.
Hard to imagine a guy that skinny dominating the glass.

Reaction Score
Hard to imagine a guy that skinny dominating the glass.

If he got 23 rebounds against us the "anti-Ollie" brigade would blame it on the fact he's not teaching during practice how to box out blah blah blah. Hence my post elsewhere about being careful what you wish for. Hurley had no answer to keep him off the boards, but hey they want him so you won't hear anything. He's the new shiny toy so they say! Hope so I really do if that's the choice.

Reaction Score
Saw him in person a few weeks ago (Richmond vs. LaSalle). He is insanely athletic with a lot of bounce. Looked like the only pro prospect on the floor and really stood out

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Saw him in person a few weeks ago (Richmond vs. LaSalle). He is insanely athletic with a lot of bounce. Looked like the only pro prospect on the floor and really stood out
He went to Kobe Bryant's HS (Lower Merion). He'll have to beef up a bit to make it in the pros. He won't rip down 23 boards in that league(not in one game, anyway).

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
If he got 23 rebounds against us the "anti-Ollie" brigade would blame it on the fact he's not teaching during practice how to box out blah blah blah. Hence my post elsewhere about being careful what you wish for. Hurley had no answer to keep him off the boards, but hey they want him so you won't hear anything. He's the new shiny toy so they say! Hope so I really do if that's the choice.
Hurley has 4 guards on the floor at all times and they’re still a much better rebounding team than UConn, not to mention just a flat out better team all around. Every team has players go off against them, the difference is URI is actually winning games consistently.

Reaction Score
Hurley has 4 guards on the floor at all times and they’re still a much better rebounding team than UConn, not to mention just a flat out better team all around. Every team has players go off against them, the difference is URI is actually winning games consistently.

Pretty sure I know that. Also that great rebounding team was down 29-12on the boards at halftime to a very small LaSalle team. I said he gets them to play hard and they win in the A10. Hell we wouldn't win in the A10 under Ollie I know that but this just might not be the answer, that's all I'm saying.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I had a way way way way bigger problem with Rhode Island fouling up 3 in situations where they shouldn’t.

I’m all for using it in the right spot but up 3 with 1.9 in the backcourt gives them life.

Not sure I’ve seen a team make two in a row they tried to miss.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I had a way way way way bigger problem with Rhode Island fouling up 3 in situations where they shouldn’t.

I’m all for using it in the right spot but up 3 with 1.9 in the backcourt gives them life.

Yeah, that was crazy. I'm still not sure the first attempted miss(at the end of regulation) really hit the rim.
Agreed--you're pushing your luck by repeatedly fouling to stop the 3. At some point just play D.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, that was crazy. I'm still not sure the first attempted miss(at the end of regulation) really hit the rim.
Agreed--you're pushing your luck by repeatedly fouling to stop the 3. At some point just play D.

In OT they fouled too early the first time and too late the second time.

Reaction Score

I tend to agree that you should play it out there, but I don't think it's a big deal one way or another. Assuming the clock was stopped, 1.9 seconds is enough for a pretty decent look.

Reaction Score

Yeah I am still wondering why they said it hit the rim brother swami. At first glance I was sure it didn't then it became evident if you looked at it long enough you may find a change of ball rotation with a glance, but reality says they didn't have enough evidence to change it. I thought the behind the basket view told us NO. Tough call either way.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I know that. Also that great rebounding team was down 29-12on the boards at halftime to a very small LaSalle team. I said he gets them to play hard and they win in the A10. Hell we wouldn't win in the A10 under Ollie I know that but this just might not be the answer, that's all I'm saying.

It took me a little longer to buy Hurley's stock than others, but in the last twelve months or so he has left me very little to criticize. They absolutely should have knocked off a really good Oregon team in the round of 32 last year (I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't his fault), and given how wide open that tournament ended up being, they could have had a realistic shot at winning the whole thing.

I'm not sure how good they are this year because the A-10 is really down. But when you watch them play they do all of the things that well-coached teams do, by and large. Granted, those things can change quickly (we remember how well-coached the first couple Ollie teams were), but given his track record of turning around I think three programs now, I think you have to acknowledge that this guy can coach.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
It took me a little longer to buy Hurley's stock than others, but in the last twelve months or so he has left me very little to criticize. They absolutely should have knocked off a really good Oregon team in the round of 32 last year (I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't his fault), and given how wide open that tournament ended up being, they could have had a realistic shot at winning the whole thing.

I'm not sure how good they are this year because the A-10 is really down. But when you watch them play they do all of the things that well-coached teams do, by and large. Granted, those things can change quickly (we remember how well-coached the first couple Ollie teams were), but given his track record of turning around I think three programs now, I think you have to acknowledge that this guy can coach.
As I recall they had a 2nd-half lead against Oregon but tried running the clock too early. The Ducks caught 'em.
I checked the URI roster and noticed most of the good players (Matthews, Dowtin, Terrell) were offered scholarships by some strong programs--yet Hurley got them all. Evidently he's a pretty good recruiter.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've heard that one of the knocks on Hurley is that he isn't a great in-game coach. Not bad, but amazing either. If he does all the other stuff well, then that's OK.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
My point was that you can’t draw a conclusion off of one game just because they didn’t win by as many points as projected.

There’s risk to any coaching hire for sure, Hurley has as good of a chance as any realistic hire. Geographically similar recruiting grounds, and he’s doing more with less, which is a necessity in the AAC. He now has the public perception of being a rising star which will aid him too.

You’re obviously within reason by having doubts, but I’m not sure what better options are there for us (assuming there will be a new coach).

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
My point was that you can’t draw a conclusion off of one game just because they didn’t win by as many points as projected.

There’s risk to any coaching hire for sure, Hurley has as good of a chance as any realistic hire. Geographically similar recruiting grounds, and he’s doing more with less, which is a necessity in the AAC. He now has the public perception of being a rising star which will aid him too.

You’re obviously within reason by having doubts, but I’m not sure what better options are there for us (assuming there will be a new coach).
Would an up-and-coming coach want to take over a program that's under investigation?

Reaction Score
Would an up-and-coming coach want to take over a program that's under investigation?
Probably not all of them, but Hurley wants the job. I think he’s ours if we pay him the money he wants/could get elsewhere.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As I recall they had a 2nd-half lead against Oregon but tried running the clock too early. The Ducks caught 'em.
I checked the URI roster and noticed most of the good players (Matthews, Dowtin, Terrell) were offered scholarships by some strong programs--yet Hurley got them all. Evidently he's a pretty good recruiter.
They were offered but not going to play a lot
With some kids it's playing time and by offering PT right away doesn't make one a great recruiter
Hurley has done well this year but again, it's the A10 and his OOC success isn't that impressive
But they will be in the tournament and UConn won't

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom