Forget about Louisville | The Boneyard

Forget about Louisville

Reaction Score
I see no mention anywhere of Maryland. They are the Big Ten Champs and had a great year and UCONN has to beat them before any discussion of Louisville.

Reaction Score
I agree with all above. The most profound is Milford Husky. ONE game at a time. Each, folks, will be tough. This is tournament time. I don't expect MD or Louisville to roll over or even Towson St. Each has a name and a school to represent so expect them to give Geno and Uconn nothing but their best.
Thats what makes this time of year FUN.

Reaction Score
The premier matchup in my opinion... Olivia Nelson-Ododa vs. Shakira Austin. Just kidding. Williams and Mikesell could be a fun matchup. Guarding Gustafson, they had 3 players foul out who played 10, 14, and 6 minutes. Lucky for us, they won’t have Destiny Slocum.

In all seriousness UCLA is one of the hottest teams in WCBB. They aren’t big, but they put a lot of long athletes on the floor in Drummer, Onyenwere, and Burke. They wouldn’t be any easier than Maryland.

Reaction Score
Maryland isn’t a strong team. They’ve had their moments and I think it could be a tough game if they’re firing on all cylinders, but that hasn’t happened much this season. They lost to a really good Iowa team, but in the Big 10 tournament it was mostly because they couldn’t contain Megan Gustafson. I doubt they could do much more against Collier—especially if KLS is back and Crystal makes a few of her perimeter shots.

Either way, as has been said already, one game at a time. No need to rush past the first two games.

Reaction Score
Megan plays a very different game than Pheesa. But in my opinion, a team like Mississippi State would much rather see Iowa than UConn, but I think Maryland may match up a little better with UConn. It is quite remarkable to watch Gustafson. She goes to work and posts so hard before her teammate even gets her the ball, and her seal is so strong that a triple team turns into an easy layup. Pheesa’s dominance is much more versatile than just using strength to post up on the block.

If we do meet Maryland, I’ll guess:
Lewis on Dangerfield
Mikesell on Williams
Charles/Watson on Walker/Samuelson
Jones on Collier

Never know when a team will get creative (like Baylor did). Maybe they’ll try Charles on Pheesa.

Reaction Score
This.
The UCLA game could be brutal. If a miracle happens and Tennessee win, I like our chances in that game.
I can vouch for your post. UCLA is playing fantastic right now. UCLA is the most athletic team in the PAC-12, and, is playing with lots of confidence. UCLA may lose in the Albany region, but nobody is going to roll UCLA.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maryland isn’t a strong team. They’ve had their moments and I think it could be a tough game if they’re firing on all cylinders, but that hasn’t happened much this season. They lost to a really good Iowa team, but in the Big 10 tournament it was mostly because they couldn’t contain Megan Gustafson. I doubt they could do much more against Collier—especially if KLS is back and Crystal makes a few of her perimeter shots.

Either way, as has been said already, one game at a time. No need to rush past the first two games.

If you read my comments over the last month, you’ll recall me saying I expect an upset in every round in this tournament. We’ve already seen top 5 teams lose to unranked teams this year. So we know it can happen. In tournament play, every possession is important. One too many turnovers, or that easy uncontested layup that was missed could be the difference in the game.

It was for UConn the last two years. One more made free throw or field goal in regulation, and they win both games. Upsets are coming. THIS UConn team cannot afford to look past any team, or take one lightly, beginning with Towson.

As a #15 seed, Towson has nothing to lose. There’s no pressure on them or expectations to defeat a #2 seed. They can take risks and play fast and loose. Upsets are coming. UConn needs to make sure THEY are not on the wrong side of one.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
UCLA was 7-2 on the road in Pac 12 play, including wins against Tourney teams Cal, Arizona St. and Oregon. Second round matchup against Maryland could be a dandy (assuming of course both win in the 1st Round).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If you read my comments over the last month, you’ll recall me saying I expect an upset in every round in this tournament. We’ve already seen top 5 teams lose to unranked teams this year. So we know it can happen. In tournament play, every possession is important. One too many turnovers, or that easy uncontested layup that was missed could be the difference in the game.

It was for UConn the last two years. One more made free throw or field goal in regulation, and they win both games. Upsets are coming. THIS UConn team cannot afford to look past any team, or take one lightly, beginning with Towson.

As a #15 seed, Towson has nothing to lose. There’s no pressure on them or expectations to defeat a #2 seed. They can take risks and play fast and loose. Upsets are coming. UConn needs to make sure THEY are not on the wrong side of one.
Wise words, with this interjection- Geno and CD have ALWAYS prepared the team for the “unranked” opponent BETTER THAN ANYONE in this sport as evidenced by their last loss to St John’s in Feb 18, 2012.
With the NCAA committee slight of a #2 seed, I will bet my house this team wins against Towson.

UCLA is interesting in that we know Tenn has the
More raw talent that is also extremely athletic and Holly actually had a similar situation in2015-16 with an underachieving team that was 19-13 coming into NCAAT but made the Elite 8.
So while I will be at the game and rooting for UCLA, Tenn could be dangerous.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Massey has UConn by 39 over 131st ranked Towson. I suspect that for UConn it will be just like an in conference game. ;)

Reaction Score
Why did they have to put Towson of all teams with UConn? I am forced to suffer for the school 2.5 miles down the road from my house while they are dismantled by the Huskies. Ugh! I don't see a UVA vs UMBC upset like the men's draw saw last year.

Reaction Score
I see no mention anywhere of Maryland. They are the Big Ten Champs and had a great year and UCONN has to beat them before any discussion of Louisville.
I'm pretty sure Coach Freese is way less than happy to be in the Albany Regional... and potentially playing UCONN. I have NO doubt the GENO, the Coaches and the Team are taking it One Game, and ONE Day at a time! Geno clearly said... I'm focused on Towson...and will be watching film on them...then I'll look at the next game.

It's the BY who is talking about Louisville... not that we will be playing them specifically, but the Committee's decision. I am pretty sure Coach Walz has looked to the possible opponent in the Regional Final...and has thought.... Oh Boy...here we go again!!!

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Coach Freese is way less than happy to be in the Albany Regional... and potentially playing UCONN. I have NO doubt the GENO, the Coaches and the Team are taking it One Game, and ONE Day at a time! Geno clearly said... I'm focused on Towson...and will be watching film on them...then I'll look at the next game.

It's the BY who is talking about Louisville... not that we will be playing them specifically, but the Committee's decision. I am pretty sure Coach Walz has looked to the possible opponent in the Regional Final...and has thought.... Oh Boy...here we go again!!!
I think Brenda is probably more worried about Maryland possibly playing another PAC 12 team than UConn. Track record hasn't been very good lately.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Brenda is probably more worried about Maryland possibly playing another PAC 12 team than UConn. Track record hasn't been very good lately.

I hadn't even thought of that. Well at least this Pac 12 team isn't from the Northwest

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Terps lost at home to Kelsey Plum's UW team a few years back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom