Forever Dunk | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Forever Dunk

Reaction Score
Yeesh. I almost jumped off my couch. It’s Espns dunk of the day- obviously
I had my head down for a second and only heard the sound of the dunk and was still amazed. Then I assumed he did it off two feet from near the basket. When I saw what it actually was, I was in total shock!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Honest question to the older heads of the boneyard from a class of '18 grad whose only seen Shabazz and afterwards , is the above hyperbolic? How does this kid compare to the "greats" during their freshman years?

So I go back to a few years before JC.

Here's my take.

Bouk was a 30-60 range recruit. Some of his numbers were to missing some AAU time.

Coming in to the program there have been dozens of recruits in that range. Some, like Ben Gordon or Day Allen we were told were way under ranked. Bouk seems to be in the group.as far as hype as freshmen.
Donyell, Rip, El Amin, Drummond, Caronimo, Charlie V and a few others had higher rankings and we're expected to dominate, be AA's and great pros.
I"d also add it's not just the player's skillset it is the style of play en vogue on the NBA.
Certain players who played years ago and were okay have great games for today's NBA.
I'll close with this. I'm less worried trying to make sense of Bouk and his place in Husky lore and geared more towards enjoying his game and what it can lead to for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
So I go back to a few years before JC.

Here's my take.

Bouk was a 30-60 range recruit. Some of his numbers were to missing some AAU time.

Coming in to the program there have been dozens of recruits in that range. Some, like Ben Gordon or Day Allen we were told were way under ranked. Bouk seems to be in the group.as far as hype as freshmen.
Donyell, Rip, El Amin, Drummond, Caronimo, Charlie V and a few others had higher rankings and we're expected to dominate, be AA's and great pros.
I"d also add it's not just the player's skillset it is the style of play en vogue on the NBA.
Certain players who played years ago and were okay have great games for today's NBA.
I'll close with this. I'm less worried trying to make sense of Bouk and his place in Husky lore and geared more towards enjoying his game and what it can lead to for the Huskies.
To be fair, Drummond has been crushing it in the league.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
To be fair, Drummond has been crushing it in the league.

I never said he wasn't. I said Drummond was a much more highly rated recruit than Bouk and was expected to be a dominating force in college and the pros.

Reaction Score
Honest question to the older heads of the boneyard from a class of '18 grad whose only seen Shabazz and afterwards , is the above hyperbolic? How does this kid compare to the "greats" during their freshman years?

The league, the style of play today and lots of other factors make that a tough question.

So many variables come into play: Quality of the other teams in the AAC compared to the OBE, fewer great players on this UConn team which makes JB more of a focus than he might have been in other times and the greater focus on defense in the OBE, especially in the six foul era. All these factors effected playing time, and how easily a freshman was able to adjust to the college game.

The major one being the Old Big East was a much tougher league from top to bottom, fouls weren't called on some of the stuff we see being called today, and defense was high on the agendas of all the teams.

So most of our great freshmen were worked into the lineups with less pressure to be "the guy" right away and and less pressure to make the plays necessary to win games.

Finally, JB really is special in how he moves, how high he can jump, how much he seems to see, how much he seems to understand the game, and (true to his nickname) seems so smooth and "effortless" so often. He glides and doesn't seem to have to make an extra effort to get up to get a rebound or throw down a dunk. We were at the ECU game and he really skied for some rebounds or to keep a ball alive several times. Ten rebounds besides his assists, etc. and the whole crowd was stunned by his dunk, even all the ECU fans around us. They all recognized and appreciated how special he is.

Long run, will he be better than Ray or Rip or Ben or Emeka or ? We'll probably know more in 2020-21 and in the next 15 to 20 years in the league.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Anyone else more impressed by the outback dunk he had when he was on the ground for the shot?

Reaction Score
That's just a reminder of how many special players we have had over the years.

Reaction Score
That Tony Robertson dunk doesn't get enough credit. He let out an entire season of frustration on BC with that dunk.

I watched waiting specifically for that Tony Robertson baseline tomahawk dunk!

Reaction Score
And Stanley was just nasty on many occasions.
Sticks was the best I’ve seen as far as being consistent. Every time he dunked it was a highlight.
But Bouk is special. Beginning of the season, weren’t some posters here wondering if he was athletic enough? Just got to hope he doesn’t show too much and the nba does a Don Corleone, makes him an offer he can’t refuse, and we miss out.Head bang

Reaction Score
Andre Jackson and Bouk next year together......WOW!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom