For your amusement - an absolutely horrible foul call | The Boneyard

For your amusement - an absolutely horrible foul call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I think this was mentioned in passing in the game thread as it occurred but I still can't comprehend how this call was made. The Ref was standing 10 feet away with no vision obstruction. Sure it happened when the game was long decided and was meaningless to the outcome but why didn't one of the other refs go talk to her about it? Gabby is several feet away when she's tripped by her own teammate. Rather than a travel and turnover, Gabby gets a foul call. I accept refs make mistakes in the throws of a game. It's a tough job but this just seemed so incredibly obviously wrong in real time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I know for out of bounds plays they can go to the monitor. Also to review a foul to see if it's worthy of a technical or what not. But why not review if another ref sees the play differently, especially in an obvious incident like the play you linked...

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
I know for out of bounds plays they can go to the monitor. Also to review a foul to see if it's worthy of a technical or what not. But why not review if another ref sees the play differently, especially in an obvious incident like the play you linked...

Reviewing plays like that might seem like a good idea, but where do you draw the line on what's reviewed and what isn't? It could lead to endless reviews and make an otherwise exciting game tedious and boring.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting - it seemed incredibly bad at the time and even worse in slow motion - it appears she starts by stepping on Gabby's long time planted right foot, which starts to get her in trouble and then goes careening into her own players legs. One of a number of really bad calls in the game, though most of them were by the woman behind the play who in this case didn't see anything wrong.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric - refs do discuss calls that they see differently, but I do not want them reviewing foul calls. And the whistle has already blown before the ball goes out of bounds so it them becomes a mess with who gets the ball, etc. Game gets slowed down enough with whistles, don't want to extra two minute video reviews to them as well.

Reaction Score
It even looks like her Rutgers teammate who tripped her was apologizing to her at the end of the clip....?
She was saying thank you. This was AAF 101 which is Advanced Assisted Flopping. ;) We may see some of this down the road should this video go viral. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That was a pity call. The game was almost over when the Rutgers player stumbled and fell (not a flop). The ref decided that since the game was out of reach and the Rutgers player fell, she would call the foul against a Connecticut player and Gabby was closest. It happens more often than it should.
Overall, I thought the game was officiated evenly with bad calls on both sides. Like most games in WCBB.

Reaction Score
It's times like this where I would love to be sitting next to the offending official while examining the replay and ask them to explain this level of blatant incompetance.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Wowzers! I thought it was a bad call when I saw it live, but this one wasn't even close.

Reaction Score
I think this was mentioned in passing in the game thread as it occurred but I still can't comprehend how this call was made. The Ref was standing 10 feet away with no vision obstruction. Sure it happened when the game was long decided and was meaningless to the outcome but why didn't one of the other refs go talk to her about it? Gabby is several feet away when she's tripped by her own teammate. Rather than a travel and turnover, Gabby gets a foul call. I accept refs make mistakes in the throws of a game. It's a tough job but this just seemed so incredibly obviously wrong in real time.

I re-wound it to make sure I had seen it correctly, and everyone but the ref did.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Right up there with the ref who called foul #5 on Jefferson in Louisville last year when two Cardinals players ran into one another.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, Biff. That was as blatantly bad a call as I've ever seen. I thought I saw it correctly in real time; sure enough, I did. I don't recall the announcers mentioning it or ESPN2 showing a replay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom