For what it is worth | Page 9 | The Boneyard

For what it is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Look I am being honest whether you want to believe it or not most Syracuse fans don't feel a football rivalry with UConn. Your fanbase hasn't traveled to the Dome in great numbers and the Dome hasn't soldout for this "rivalry" to require Dr. Gross to feel the need to schedule you guys when we are in the ACC. Is Rutgers going to schedule UConn when they go to the B1G?
Unfortunately, teams scheduling anyone who's a "rival" is going to die off very soon. It doesn't matter if Syracuse views us as a rival or not, that's not a reason to not schedule us. Starting in a year, when the playoff system starts up, the only games teams will schedule will be ones that help their strength of schedule. This is where UConn will be hurt with it's conference schedule but so far, we're proving that we can schedule the OOC games with quality opponents. I must say though, I wouldn't be shocked that if we don't end up with you guys in the ACC, we'll be playing again in the future. The killing off rivalries or even playing teams that you have a slight history with (referring to UConn/'Cuse) is going to cause a lot of disinterest in college football down the road. I won't be shocked to see either OOC games popping up that are regional games or even realigning the conferences again. Just like no one is lining up for our AAC slate, I bet a lot of ACC fans are not lining up to see Syracuse, let alone travel up there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It was a 2-2 in football no? I'm pretty sure it was.

Maybe. I started to dig through the games and I think you are right there was a 2:2 at one point, but I think the basketball games were tied to a 2:1.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe. I started to dig through the games and I think you are right there was a 2:2 at one point, but I think the basketball games were tied to a 2:1.

Al I know is that it was too many games against an uninteresting opponent. Don't want to see them on the schedule again for at leat 5-6 years. Doesn't even get us exposure in a decent recruiting ground.

Reaction Score
Al I know is that it was too many games against an uninteresting opponent. Don't want to see them on the schedule again for at leat 5-6 years. Doesn't even get us exposure in a decent recruiting ground.

People better get used to this kind of scheduling given the huge problems UConn now has with income. Uconn needs 1 and 1s. It can't give games away without a huge payday. The program will go bankrupt. It needs schools that want to travel to Conn.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
People better get used to this kind of scheduling given the huge problems UConn now has with income. Uconn needs 1 and 1s. It can't give games away without a huge payday. The program will go bankrupt. It needs schools that want to travel to Conn.

A 2-2 with Buffalo? If it was a 2-1 that would be different. Four games is too much in any event. Play Wyoming, play Miami OH, play Bowling Green, play Louisiana Lafayette or LA Tech, Play UNLV. Buffalo is among the worst choices.

Reaction Score
A 2-2 with Buffalo? If it was a 2-1 that would be different. Four games is too much in any event. Play Wyoming, play Miami OH, play Bowling Green, play Louisiana Lafayette or LA Tech, Play UNLV. Buffalo is among the worst choices.

1-1. I don't see the difference with all the schools you are listing. I imagine travel would be much more expensive as well, and they already make those trips. I bet UMass and Buffalo are going to be regulars for the sole reason they are close by and really the only northeast schools looking to schedule a game. Wyoming as recruiting territory?

Reaction Score
1-1. I don't see the difference with all the schools you are listing. I imagine travel would be much more expensive as well, and they already make those trips. I bet UMass and Buffalo are going to be regulars for the sole reason they are close by and really the only northeast schools looking to schedule a game. Wyoming as recruiting territory?

I dont mind a long-term series with UMass as we have tons of history with them in football, they are right next door and they make for good fan banter. I think UConn fans have Buffalo fatigue and rather not play them for the next decade.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Boise State didn't get to be 'Boise State' by playing a lot of stupid games all over the country. They play one high profile BCS game a year... that's it. They play a bunch of mid level teams on the west coast, one major BCS team, and their conference schedule. It's a myth that they're playing the old John Chaney Temple schedule.

The Boise State model is basically this dominate your leage, play one high profile game, schedule a bunch of winnable games. You go 12-0, 11-1 and you're in the debate. You don't do that by flying across the country to play a non-AQ team. (Boise State and BYU being the obvious exceptions)

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, teams scheduling anyone who's a "rival" is going to die off very soon. It doesn't matter if Syracuse views us as a rival or not, that's not a reason to not schedule us. Starting in a year, when the playoff system starts up, the only games teams will schedule will be ones that help their strength of schedule. This is where UConn will be hurt with it's conference schedule but so far, we're proving that we can schedule the OOC games with quality opponents. I must say though, I wouldn't be shocked that if we don't end up with you guys in the ACC, we'll be playing again in the future. The killing off rivalries or even playing teams that you have a slight history with (referring to UConn/'Cuse) is going to cause a lot of disinterest in college football down the road. I won't be shocked to see either OOC games popping up that are regional games or even realigning the conferences again. Just like no one is lining up for our AAC slate, I bet a lot of ACC fans are not lining up to see Syracuse, let alone travel up there.

Texas will schedule Texas A&M when Texas wants to renew that rivalry. Missouri and Kansas will schedule each other once Kansas is ready to play Missouri again. West Virginia and Pitt will schedule each other when each is ready. Syracuse and UConn will schedule occasionally, when its mutually appropriate. College football interest will never die in the South never, and the Northeast has never really cared about college football as the Eagles, Jets, Giants, Patriots are indefinitely more popular than any local college team.

The college playoff system is actually going to help you get games as the B1G/Big XII teams will be playing 9 conference games, the SEC/ACC will be playing 8 conference games and the selection committee is going to look at whom you have played when determining the 4 playoff teams. All the power conferences leagues are going to want to play better non-conference schedules while maintaining 7 home games. UConn/Cincinnati/Boise State/BYU/South Florida type teams a clear step up from MAC/Sun Belt schools and will be able to probably choose which power conference teams they want to play.

As far as the ACC goes Syracuse has already played Florida State, Virginia, Wake Forest, Boston College, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Pittsburgh at the Dome since 2002. Only, Duke, Georgia Tech, Clemson haven't played us since 2002, and I don't think its going to be that different for them.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
For a reason why it would be good for Syracuse- lots of alums in CT, OOC trip closer than most conference games.

Hey, it's a reason.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Wyoming is probably better than Buffalo as a recruiting ground. But certainly the Louisiana schools and Ohio schools are much better. I think we need to use our schedule to inform the country that UConn plays football, especially in B1G country and Big 12 country. I don't mind UMass as a truly local rival, but Buffalo? Buffalo fatigue has definitely set in.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Put together the best schedule you can in each sport that your revenue goals will allow by any means necessary.

If that means a one-off neutral site, 2-1, or guarantee game against a historic program, then do it. Just don't turn the Rent into a home for JV opponents.

In BB, it means no PC games at all. OOC slots are too precious right now. Unless you use them to replace an AIC type game, then it's fine.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Put together the best schedule you can in each sport that your revenue goals will allow by any means necessary.

If that means a one-off neutral site, 2-1, or guarantee game against a historic program, then do it. Just don't turn the Rent into a home for JV opponents.

In BB, it means no PC games at all. OOC slots are too precious right now. Unless you use them to replace an AIC type game, then it's fine.

This literally makes no sense to me. If you're traveling and giving up home games, then the Rent becomes a home for JV opponents. The only way to beef up the home schedule is with 1 and 1s. If you want to ignore the Rent and beef up the total schedule, only then do you go for one-offs and 2 for 1s.

Reaction Score
For a reason why it would be good for Syracuse- lots of alums in CT, OOC trip closer than most conference games.

Hey, it's a reason.
Frankly, playing Syracuse doesn't get me excited at all. I'd rather play Boise, BYU, etc.

Reaction Score
UConn did a bizarre deal with Buffalo where they got a 2:1 in football, a 1:1 in men's basketball and at least hosted Buffalo in women's basketball. They almost dumped the men's basketball game - it was like the second game
of the season if my memory isn't failing me.
Wasn't the buffalo game a consolation for a tourney we hosted early in he year and needed a last minute replacement team when some one dropped out? I think here was somehing funky w that series.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This literally makes no sense to me. If you're traveling and giving up home games, then the Rent becomes a home for JV opponents. The only way to beef up the home schedule is with 1 and 1s. If you want to ignore the Rent and beef up the total schedule, only then do you go for one-offs and 2 for 1s.

Colloquially, just the tip.

Reaction Score
The title of the thread is FWIW.

Quite often the question is what is MBB or WBB worth? Well we now know what a good hockey program can be worth.

B1G Hockey teams will get $2 million more per year.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2013/4/29/4283628/big-ten-hockey-payout-tv-contract

I think UConn's value to the B1G is pretty obvious from a content standpoint. If hockey can generate 2m per school for them, we can certainly bring big dollars for our sports programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom