For what it is worth | The Boneyard

For what it is worth

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

Reaction Score
The new rumor on the wv rivals site is that we are headed to the big 12 along with south Florida. If true, great. But I will believe it when I see it.

Reaction Score
The new rumor on the wv rivals site is that we are headed to the big 12 along with south Florida. If true, great. But I will believe it when I see it.

I know this is infinitely better than the AAC but ugh! and puke.

Reaction Score
I will add that South Florida to the B12 actually makes a ton of sense.

In fact, if I were a betting man, I'd say they have the best chance of finding an out. The huge WINNER in what transpired this week is USF.

Very hard to believe that Barf guy missed that.

Reaction Score
lol. So we were going to the ACC, then the Big 10, then the SEC, and now the Big 12.

Hope springs eternal I guess. We're going to the AAC and staying there. For at least a long, long while.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Seems absurd to me. USF gives them nothing. UConn gives them an eastern team for WVU to play...in theory. In reality, Storrs is not close to Morgantown. Cinci would make much more sense for them as a midwestern school. Unlike the B1G, markets don't really matter to the B12.

Reaction Score
The B12 taking us makes sense in that it gives them a foot down in NY. Texas likes going big and in this country New York is as big as it gets.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The B12 taking us makes sense in that it gives them a foot down in NY. Texas likes going big and in this country New York is as big as it gets.

That's ridiculous. Texas doesn't give a rat's ass about NY. Nobody in NY will follow teams from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa and they know it. They have no chance of being relevant there. Markets don't matter to the Big 12. They have no network and no plans for one. Content is king. Brands matter. If they look at UConn it's because we're the best brand available. That's why they took WVU...strong football brand. BYU would be a strong brand. UNLV would be a good brand. USF? UCF? Nobody knows them. They are irrelevant. Even Cinci has no brand power...their best edge is location in the midwest. I am originally from Big 12 country and make no mistake, they have no fondness for the east coast. None. Most of the fans are pissed that they took WVU and went that far east.

Reaction Score
You have to sell Texas on any expansion. You can almost be guaranteed we will play Texas in NY more than once if invited to the B12. Texas cares about New York television sets just as much as everyone else does. They bring money. The Big12 brought in WVU, if they are going to expand in the east why ignore NY? You get Hartford as a bonus.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Seems absurd to me. USF gives them nothing. UConn gives them an eastern team for WVU to play...in theory. In reality, Storrs is not close to Morgantown. Cinci would make much more sense for them as a midwestern school. Unlike the B1G, markets don't really matter to the B12.
They are just trolling Cincy fans.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
After this year it is truly not going to matter what conference we are in. Beginning in 2014, the BCS no longer exists. The football playoff is set up for 10 years. and the only thing that I am 93.692% sure about is tournament expansion. It will not stay 4 teams for very long. It will soon go to 8 and evenutually include all conference champions.

Reaction Score
After this year it is truly not going to matter what conference we are in. Beginning in 2014, the BCS no longer exists. The football playoff is set up for 10 years. and the only thing that I am 93.692% sure about is tournament expansion. It will not stay 4 teams for very long. It will soon go to 8 and evenutually include all conference champions.

It won't matter other than we will be $20-30 million per year in income behind all the other majors, but that's no big deal.

Reaction Score
lol. So we were going to the ACC, then the Big 10, then the SEC, and now the Big 12.

Hope springs eternal I guess. We're going to the AAC and staying there. For at least a long, long while.

And liking it goshdarn it!!!

Reaction Score
What really sucks is that had the ACC taken UConn, the B12 would have probably added UL and UC and everyone other than Mike Aresco would have been happy.

UL going to the ACC kind of took away the B12's most logical expansion candidate and unfortunately for Cincy they are not as attractive an addition without UL.

CR really has played out the apocalyptic scenario for UConn

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It won't matter other than we will be $20-30 million per year in income behind all the other majors, but that's no big deal.
Unfortunately, this cannot be helped. I'm talking about the product on the field/court. Win games, get into the tournament, and hopefully get a couple more high profile wins. Same thing in basketball. The money issue sucks, but it is what it is.

pj

Reaction Score
What really sucks is that had the ACC taken UConn, the B12 would have probably added UL and UC and everyone other than Mike Aresco would have been happy.

UL going to the ACC kind of took away the B12's most logical expansion candidate and unfortunately for Cincy they are not as attractive an addition without UL.

That is why the ACC took Louisville. Florida State preferred Louisville because it forced the Big 12 to bid for them. ESPN liked it because they had first refusal on AAC so was able to get Louisville and UConn rights, if the ACC took UConn then Louisville to Big12 loses a property for them.

UConn needs to create some competition for itself by getting involved with Fox.

Reaction Score
Not much difference between a flight from Austin to Hartford than Tucson to Seattle or Miami to Boston. The B12 adding UConn is no more of a logistical issue than many of the other CR moves made so far.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

It happened earlier than that. Pitt was a perfect fit for the ACC. The Big 12 had a very logical expansion block to WVU, Pitt, Cinci and Louisville, all of which are geographically coherent. The ACC should have added UConn and Rutgers long ago. If it had UConn and Rutgers now, instead of Pitt and Louisville, it would be better off. It would control the NY market.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not much difference between a flight from Austin to Hartford than Tucson to Seattle or Miami to Boston. The B12 adding UConn is no more of a logistical issue than many of the other CR moves made so far.

How about the women's vollyball team on a bus?

Reaction Score
How about the women's vollyball team on a bus?

If we're getting $20 mil a year from TV revenue in the Texas Ten, the extra expense for women's volleyball and M/W soccer (just about the only sports that would be affected) will be a drop in the bucket.

Reaction Score
It happened earlier than that. Pitt was a perfect fit for the ACC. The Big 12 had a very logical expansion block to WVU, Pitt, Cinci and Louisville, all of which are geographically coherent. The ACC should have added UConn and Rutgers long ago. If it had UConn and Rutgers now, instead of Pitt and Louisville, it would be better off. It would control the NY market.

Yes, Pitt (believe it or not) was a critical and valuable piece in conference realignment. I know that there seems to be some people on this board that believe that the ACC wanted to bring in Syracuse and UConn as opposed to Pitt, but trust me, Pitt held a ton of cards here: an AAU school with a lot of tradition located in a good TV market and one of the best football recruiting areas in the northern half of the US (western Pennsylvania). In a world where Penn State didn't exist, Pitt would have been a shoe-in for the Big Ten. The Big 12 didn't want to just add WVU and/or Louisville alone. HuskyHawk nails it that the Big 12 was looking at adding Pitt, WVU, Cincinnati and Louisville all as a unit, with Pitt being considered the most valuable piece in that puzzle. Whatever people might think of the ACC, John Swofford is NOT dumb. He knew that he had to act immediately if the ACC ever wanted Pitt (and they deemed Pitt to be a much more valuable piece than other Big East candidates), so that's what spurred the Pitt/Syracuse expansion in September 2011. The ACC ended up blocking the Big 12 with that move and did it yet again when it added Louisville this past November. For a period of time, the ACC might not have been able to hold off attacks from the Big Ten or SEC, but they definitely made sure that the Big 12's options were marginalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom