OT: - For those you who have insured jewelry, I need some help. | The Boneyard

OT: For those you who have insured jewelry, I need some help.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Need to insure an engagement ring. However, I don't own a home or rent currently. (no I'm not homeless). But will in the future, (Next summer, when we move for residency). How exactly do I go about insuring my fiance's engagement ring without it costing all the money in the world? Are places like jeweler's mutual legit?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Maybe you can combo it with car insurance if you have that? I am not sure of a way to do it without lumping it into your assets of your home. Congrats though!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Need to insure an engagement ring. However, I don't own a home or rent currently. (no I'm not homeless). But will in the future, (Next summer, when we move for residency). How exactly do I go about insuring my fiance's engagement ring without it costing all the money in the world? Are places like jeweler's mutual legit?

I use Jewelers Mutual for a number of pieces. Yes it's legit. I went with them after comparing the available premiums and deductibles against my homeowners' insurance.

I note that the store I bought my now wife's engagement ring gave a generous estimate for insurance purposes, which would be helpful in the event it gets stolen or lost--but is not so helpful in terms of the premium.

And mazel tov, by the way!

Reaction Score

I used Jeweler’s Mutual until I bought my house. They are a legitimate option.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It’s not overly expensive - we use State Farm.

If others have had a good experience with Jeweler’s Mutual, I see no reason why you should not go for them if the price is right.

But do whatever you’re going to do as soon as you can.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
+1 Jeweler's Mutual. I wasn't able to get the ring in the renter's insurance, so until we buy, I'll keep Jeweler's Mutual.

We insured ours the same day we got it at the jeweler. Didn't want to walk out of the place without it insured.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Same... also used jewelers mutual initially. No issues.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
here i am paying travelers like a sucker

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reminder - I really need to get some of my wife's jewelry covered.

And for the record, I see a lot of people saying Jeweler's Mutual is legit, but has anyone ever filed a claim with them? It's easy for them to take your insurance money, but do they deliver on the other end?

Reaction Score
The State of Connecticut Insurance Department shows one complaint against Jewelers Mutual in 2016 that was closed as "Unjustified".

Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company
01/28/2016
03/18/2016
Commercial Multi-Peril

Unfair Claims Practice
Unsatisfactory Offer
Contract Provision
Unjustified
$0.00
Closed

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't own a home or rent currently. (no I'm not homeless). But will in the future
Since others have answer your insurance question I will just ask "Does your finance know that you plan to be homeless?"

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom