For those who don't read the UConn recruiting thread - Caroline Ducharme | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For those who don't read the UConn recruiting thread - Caroline Ducharme

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
If she can drain the 3 at this level, she's playing.
Her offensive game gets a A+, but how's her defense? That's what will earn her minutes, there should be enough "O" to keep the coach from complaining abt the shooting.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Her offensive game gets a A+, but how's her defense? That's what will earn her minutes, there should be enough "O" to keep the coach from complaining abt the shooting.

Wouldn't be so certain offense isn't needed. There is still little post-up game, too many turnovers, and the only shooters are Bueckers and Makurat.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be so certain offense isn't needed. There is still little post-up game, too many turnovers, and the only shooters are Bueckers and Makurat.
With Deberry coming aboard, it'll bolster the post-up game imo, its the sight of a 6'2 "guard" getting broken down by the Park-lane type point guards, or the always moving and slashing SGs, im not Nostradamus but I see Azzi getting 15-18 pts a game...easy which should open the post even more, history has proven tht ur not gonna beat Uconn by only scoring 45-50 points a game....Woof.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I do agree abt the TOs, but they're freshmen they'll get acclimated to each other, you can see the progress from the beginning of the year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With Deberry coming aboard, it'll bolster the post-up game imo, its the sight of a 6'2 "guard" getting broken down by the Park-lane type point guards, or the always moving and slashing SGs, im not Nostradamus but I see Azzi getting 15-18 pts a game...easy which should open the post even more, history has proven tht ur not gonna beat Uconn by only scoring 45-50 points a game....Woof.

Wait till you find out DeBerry's game more resembles Azura Stevens' than Kalani Brown's.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Wait till you find out DeBerry's game more resembles Azura Stevens' than Kalani Brown's.
Sluconn, based on this post and a previous one in which you said that UConn has no post game with Olivia, you seem to hold the view that unless UConn's center plays like Kalani Brown, Aliyah Boston, or Stef Dolson, the team doesn't have the front court personnel to win an NC.

I think you are wrong about that. Who did UConn have like that in 2015 or 2016? What about 2003 or 2004, unless you think that Jessica Moore was a more satisfactory "5" player than Olivia? What about 2002? What about 2000, or do you think that Olivia is a lesser performer than Kelly Schumacher?

I thought that tonight's Marquette game was a demonstration (against a good team known for offensive rebounding) that the Huskies have the talent they need in the front court to contend with any team in the country. The game was close because UConn's guards simultaneously hit a wall, but Liv and Aaliyah played superbly and did everything that could be expected of them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think ESPN dropped her down after an injury while other sites kept her near the top 10.
I think injuries affected Caroline's drop on HG, as well as Saylor's drop. Both players were misranked.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sluconn, based on this post and a previous one in which you said that UConn has no post game with Olivia, you seem to hold the view that unless UConn's center plays like Kalani Brown, Aliyah Boston, or Stef Dolson, the team doesn't have the front court personnel to win an NC.

I think you are wrong about that. Who did UConn have like that in 2015 or 2016? What about 2003 or 2004, unless you think that Jessica Moore was a more satisfactory "5" player than Olivia? What about 2002? What about 2000, or do you think that Olivia is a lesser performer than Kelly Schumacher?

I thought that tonight's Marquette game was a demonstration (against a good team known for offensive rebounding) that the Huskies have the talent they need in the front court to contend with any team in the country. The game was close because UConn's guards simultaneously hit a wall, but Liv and Aaliyah played superbly and did everything that could be expected of them.

I'm simply responding to the notion that DeBerry is a post player when, for the most part, she is not. She's a finesse forward with some post skills who likes to be on the perimeter. As for the current team, I would argue Edwards is the only post player on the roster and will be next season too. ONO struggles near the basket unless uncontested. She's much more comfortable shooting fadeaways and jumpers.

As for winning a NC, well, there are areas that need improving this year and next. That includes a post-up game.

Reaction Score
I'm simply responding to the notion that DeBerry is a post player when, for the most part, she is not. She's a finesse forward with some post skills who likes to be on the perimeter. As for the current team, I would argue Edwards is the only post player on the roster and will be next season too. ONO struggles near the basket unless uncontested. She's much more comfortable shooting fadeaways and jumpers.

As for winning a NC, well, there are areas that need improving this year and next. That includes a post-up game.
While for some reason few comment on CD's coaching these days, I remember some of the same issues she helped Stewie with. Primarily an outside shooter on offense, by her 3rd year, Stewie could post up as well as anyone in county. DeBerry appears to be a smart player who wants to get better. She will be in a great position in that we will have other bigs and Geno will have flexibility when and where to use her.

Reaction Score

AE will post up plenty..wouldn't worry..

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I understand tht, but I'd take either style, preferably a combination of both,.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If she is draining 3's her defense will be judged on a sliding scale.

Reaction Score
I think injuries affected Caroline's drop on HG, as well as Saylor's drop. Both players were misranked
Very true, but in addition, ESPN is totally out of touch on many things regarding those players. If they are still being pursued by major programs that should tell you something and affect the ratings. If you are a very good foreign player, some attempt should be made to place them on the list in a reasonable way, or don't include them at all. Giving Nika a rating score of 90, and Aaliyah ranked only 20 something was crazy.

There is video to view, coaches and others to consult. If they wanted to come up with at least a more realistic rating they could, they just don't. Without a ballpark valuation for foreign players, the class rankings if you have a key foreign player become almost meaningless.

They also had Carolyn's height wrong by what 4 inches for the longest time. Overall I think Hoops Girls has been a weak link at ESPN. It is a shame they are the most quoted source on women's high school prospects with ESPN's reach, because at best they are way behind Prospect Nation, Blue Star and maybe ASGR as well.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
But the really important question is how does one pronounce Ducharme?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
If she is draining 3's her defense will be judged on

If she is draining 3's her defense will be judged on a sliding scale.
Sliding scale huh
So as long as she's draining a certain volume of 3s, the Coach won't mind her opponent sliding pass her breaking down the defense setting up the possibility for an easy 2? I didn't mean she can't play Uconn defense, I meant I've never seen video or posts stating that she can or can't, just seeking a little information on it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sliding scale huh
So as long as she's draining a certain volume of 3s, the Coach won't mind her opponent sliding pass her breaking down the defense setting up the possibility for an easy 2?
Yes, because 3 > 2. Her defense will have to be epically bad to sit if she's hitting threes. This program has had more than one player that wasn't a lock-down defender but never sat as long as the shots were falling.

Reaction Score
Ducharme & Saylor are a talented duo. Good to have wings with both good size & shooting ability. Both are top 5 recruits in my book.
Just because they are headed to Uconn doesn't make them top 5 recruits. Watching film on them they both have skills, but neither is a top 10 recruit.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
She reminds me of Ann Strother, tall and rangy, good shooter. Caroline is listed at 6’2”, but looks a tad taller to me. I’m shocked that there wasn’t a recruiting war for her like there was for Strother. Anyone know who recruited her besides Geno?
1617836030342.png

Reaction Score
Just because they are headed to Uconn doesn't make them top 5 recruits. Watching film on them they both have skills, but neither is a top 10 recruit.
Saylor might not be a impact player, the rotation wasn’t set when she joined the team, yet she still couldn’t find any minute, I can’t see that getting any easier next season. Yes Ducharme was injured throughout her high school career, but she also jumped from a ranking of 41 to top 5 player in her class according to ESPN, Ducharme doesn’t just have skills, but she’s also a hard worker, she’s definitely going to find minutes on the court next year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
ln the video link @Big Mick shared recently, she made a couple that looked like 26-28. Hard to say with all the extra lines on the court and the perspective.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom