For those who criticize Sue Bird... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For those who criticize Sue Bird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What did Geno say awhile back? Something like "Sue Bird is the best point guard in the world" or something like that?

Yeah, the word "legend" may apply here. Glad I got to see her play last season in person and look forward to seeing her again next year.

Reaction Score
The Bird-Whalen debate is interesting, comparing two players with different styles. It reminds me of two outfielders from years past, Dusty Baker and Bill Virdon. Dusty made some spectacular catches, many because he broke the wrong way on a hit ball and had to recover to make the play, Bill on the other hand broke the right way when the ball was hit and was always standing waiting for the ball to come down. So who would you rather have on your team? They both caught the ball, it was more exciting to watch Dusty, but you were more confident watching Bill. To me the Whalen-Bird controversy is similar, they are both outstanding point guards, but they certainly have contrasting styles of play. I have more confidence in Sue because of all the things she does so well, but Whalen is more exciting to watch.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I am amazed as always at how the floor looks when Sue is coming down with the ball...there is something so clean about how she runs the floor, the plays beautifully executed and the word that comes to mind when I think of the offense with Sue at the helm is "smooth"

Now, when watching the game the other day, one of the announcers - I think that it was Rebecca referred to Whalen as a "bull in a china shop". There is no question that she is fun to watch barreling down the floor with a "get the hell out of my way" look on her face during her "take no prisoners" journey to the hole, but a beautifully executed offense is not what I see when she is on the floor.

Different strokes.....that's all it is

Reaction Score
Only the IGNORANT criticize Sue Bird! For lack of a better analogy and this is from a Red Sox fan, she is the Derek Jeter of Women's Basketball and has set a standard for excellence, and character that few can match!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue will be in the Naismith HOF, not just the WBB HOF. She is arguably the most respected player in the WNBA. She is the conductor to the orchestra. The spacing and passing are best when Sue is on the floor. She doesn't always get the assist, but she often makes the prior pass or the one before that. Even Diana listens to Sue.

Among the starting unit, Sue was the 5th scoring option. Look at who else was on the floor. Possibly the best offensive player ever--Diana--was the 4th scoring option. Sue does things that don't always show up in the box score. One thing that Sue does very well is win. Her record in the past 15 years is matched only by Diana and soon to be Maya.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
mhshuskies said:
To those that criticize Sue Bird:

[user edit]!!!!!!

whoa, dial it down there, big fella..

:p

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Do you Sue Bird enthusiasts really think that Geno will have her as the starting PG at the 2016 Olympics? That is the interesting question.

My guess is in the negative. I expect that Whalen will start or at least get the most minutes, Sims will be her primary backup, and Sue will get some minutes but primarily be a mentor and bench coach. If they have a narrow lead in the last 5 minutes and need to protect it, then Sue could come in to do that.

Sue's role will be somewhat similar to Caroline Doty's role on the 2012-13 UConn team. She started and played a few minutes, then yielded to Bria, Kelly, and Moriah. But she was active on the bench as a de facto coach.

If Tamika Catchings is on the team (which she will be -- and should be -- if she wants to be and is not injured), her role will be similar.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Do you Sue Bird enthusiasts really think that Geno will have her as the starting PG at the 2016 Olympics? That is the interesting question.

My guess is in the negative. I expect that Whalen will start or at least get the most minutes, Sims will be her primary backup, and Sue will get some minutes but primarily be a mentor and bench coach. If they have a narrow lead in the last 5 minutes and need to protect it, then Sue could come in to do that.

Sue's role will be somewhat similar to Caroline Doty's role on the 2012-13 UConn team. She started and played a few minutes, then yielded to Bria, Kelly, and Moriah. But she was active on the bench as a de facto coach.

If Tamika Catchings is on the team (which she will be -- and should be -- if she wants to be and is not injured), her role will be similar.
That will depend on how Sue continues to heal and how her body holds up. If Sue As noted her gifts are different than Whalens and the team benefits from the diversity.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I love Sue and Catch, but I will be curious to see the 2016 team. I am just not sure USA will want to create such a huge turnover following 2016 for a new coach - if Sue and Catch are on that team, the 2018 team will likely have 4-6 new to USA national team players. I do not remember when there has been that percentage of rookies on a national team. The others I anticipate would be gone - some combination of: DT, Whalen, Fowles, Parker, Angel, Augustus, Dupree. Some of those will not be on the 2016 team already, but those that are on that team will be hard pressed for the 2018 team - age injury and competition wise. Specific to guards - if Sue is on the 2016 team that would be three guards changes, for Catch that would be 4-5 wing/forwards.

Reaction Score
Bird and Whalen will be 36 and 34 respectively in 2016 so IMO it is unlikely both will be on the team for transition/continuity reasons leading to 2018. A changing of the guard( no pun intended) is probably wise both in the short and long term. Given the prolific scoring ability and the speed of USA posts and wings the point guards of future USA teams don't need to be scorers but ideally have speed, outstanding ball handling skills and be an excellent distributor of the ball. Not sure Diggins or Sims fit that mold as they historically have been compelled to think shoot first. Courtney Vandersloot's game strikes me as ideal but not sure she can get there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bird and Whalen will be 36 and 34 respectively in 2016 so IMO it is unlikely both will be on the team for transition/continuity reasons leading to 2018. A changing of the guard( no pun intended) is probably wise both in the short and long term. Given the prolific scoring ability and the speed of USA posts and wings the point guards of future USA teams don't need to be scorers but ideally have speed, outstanding ball handling skills and be an excellent distributor of the ball. Not sure Diggins or Sims fit that mold as they historically have been compelled to think shoot first. Courtney Vandersloot's game strikes me as ideal but not sure she can get there.
I think there are at least 4 guards ahead of her including Sims, Diggins, Robinson, January, and McBride. Add in Whalen, Bonner, Taurasi, and Delle Donne, and I don't see Courtney ever really seriously being considered for a US National team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think there are at least 4 guards ahead of her including Sims, Diggins, Robinson, January, and McBride. Add in Whalen, Bonner, Taurasi, and Delle Donne, and I don't see Courtney ever really seriously being considered for a US National team.

McBride is not a point guard and not direct competition for Sloot.

FWIW, I doubt Sloot will ever make a USA team, even for a minor tournament, BUT you could certainly do worse for a pass-first point guard. If only she could shoot the 3 better. She shot 37.5% but I think that's probably an anomaly resulting from a small sample size.

Outside shooting is one are where Bird has a clear advantage of Diggins, Whalen and many other PGs.

Reaction Score
Catch is my guest on this week's podcast (up later today).

She clearly has heard the playing time debate, and emphatically put to rest the idea that the players care about who is starting, who is putting off the bench when they are wearing that uniform. Great to listen to.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Catch is my guest on this week's podcast (up later today).

She clearly has heard the playing time debate, and emphatically put to rest the idea that the players care about who is starting, who is putting off the bench when they are wearing that uniform. Great to listen to.

During pool play our seats were behind the benches so I was able to watch the interaction of the players on the Team USA bench. I'm pretty confident Lindsey Whalen could not have cared less that Sue Bird was in the starting lineup and she wasn't. The same can be said for the other bench players. This is a fan thing and it's silly.

Reaction Score
During pool play our seats were behind the benches so I was able to watch the interaction of the players on the Team USA bench. I'm pretty confident Lindsey Whalen could not have cared less that Sue Bird was in the starting lineup and she wasn't. The same can be said for the other bench players. This is a fan thing and it's silly.

Couldn't agree more....still can't believe the cries of UConn bias in the whole thing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

My short answer to your first question: Yes.

I assume that Sue is as healthy as she is now, which is not a given. Sue is the one who leads and orchestrates. With the rest of that lineup, Sue is exactly what the team needs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
McBride is not a point guard and not direct competition for Sloot.

FWIW, I doubt Sloot will ever make a USA team, even for a minor tournament, BUT you could certainly do worse for a pass-first point guard. If only she could shoot the 3 better. She shot 37.5% but I think that's probably an anomaly resulting from a small sample size.

Outside shooting is one are where Bird has a clear advantage of Diggins, Whalen and many other PGs.
Correct, but Sims, Diggins, January, Robinson, Whalen, Bird and Taurasi are all ahead of her and can all play the 1. the other players i mentoned (McBride, EDD, etc) play the 2 but the point is with that many 1's ahead of her no way does she every make the team. In my opinion.

Reaction Score
2 year is a very long time in BB. Why don't we just enjoy the FIBA championship and the exciting 2014 season coming up in a few weeks. And by the same token, forget about the miserable FB season we just had. One thing is for sure, we all will be older when the 2016 Rio game comes around and so will all our favorite players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom