For the most part I liked what I saw last night | The Boneyard

For the most part I liked what I saw last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...once they upped their intensity in the second half.

Hamilton is the real deal. He has a great handle for a kid his size and can shoot, pass, rebound...he can do it all.

It's clear that this is Boatright's team and is making his mark as UConn's next great guard. Reach-around-bandit II. :)

SC Jr gives this team a mature guard who can knock down 3s.

Facey continues to have a knack for finding rebounds. He needs to get a tad stronger and gain some confidence in his offense. I like what I've seen from him.

Samuel who doesn't love this kid. Plays hard all the time, is a very smart lead guard and has worked really hard on his J which has steadily improved from day 1.

I'm not going to go through the entire roster, but did want to end with one player that I had high hopes for, had hoped he'd have a hot start, but hasn't. That's Phil Nolan. We heard a lot of good things about him during the off-season and he looked good during the First Night's scrimmage. He simply hasn't done much offensively thus far and I'm concerned that he's struggling with his confidence offensively. It's obviously early, but the fact that KO gave the majority of the 4-5 minutes to Facey and Amida, 24 and 28 respectively compared to just 7 for Nolan, granted he had 3 fouls, tells somewhat of a story. Now maybe he's struggling with some injury that I'm not aware of, but I thought he'd be getting the majority of the PT at the 4 and slide over to the 5 when Amida needed a blow or when in foul trouble. Since he and Brimah are the only two that can play the 5...maybe the Rock can fill in a few minutes if needed due to his girth...I can see KO trying to manage his minutes to make sure the team has both of them available down the stretch in the 2nd half. Getting back to my point, I'd like to see Nolan get more scoring opportunities and make good on them. Having a few bigs that can finish in the paint keeps defenses honest and getting high percentage baskets is always a good thing.

With that said, the heaving offensive lifting is going to come from the guards and Hamilton. That's clearly no mystery. There's a ton of offensive firepower from Boat, Hamiltion, SC Jr, Purvis, Calhoun and Samuel. Getting points from our bigs off of nice set-ups will simply make this team out very tough team to defend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geez DM I'm guessing if you ask Boat if he minds reach-around-bandit as a nickname he would probably not agree all that much.......but damn he's good at that huh?

Reaction Score
Shortest post in Dogmania history. Are you feeling alright?

I think @champs99and04 has officially taken the crown for longest posts. I don't mean it in a bad way since I appreciate what they both have to say. But he wrote a post a couple days ago that probably would've taken 45 minutes to read :)

Reaction Score
Shortest post in Dogmania history. Are you feeling alright?
My smart phone was acting dumb and it kept on putting my cursor at the top of the post, so I had to save it and finish it off on my laptop. I had hoped to do that before many would notice and begin to reply. Even with my additions, it's not that long. I've been noticing a lot of long posts from many members of the yard these days. So, I'm no longer the major culprit of the long post.

With all this said, I'm going to try to keep my posts shorter. yeah, that will last a few weeks. ;)

Reaction Score
I think @champs99and04 has officially taken the crown for longest posts. I don't mean it in a bad way since I appreciate what they both have to say. But he wrote a post a couple days ago that probably would've taken 45 minutes to read :)
I noticed that. I had tears of joy running down my cheeks with pride. :) What's funny is that when I'm reading a thread that has too many long posts I start to skim, so I understand why many don't like the long replies. I'm trying to do better with my replies, such as this one.

Reaction Score
Geez DM I'm guessing if you ask Boat if he minds reach-around-bandit as a nickname he would probably not agree all that much..but damn he's good at that huh?
I'm not a fan of that nickname, but couldn't resist resurrecting that one that someone...I can't remember who...gave Bazz a season or two ago. We all had a good laugh on that one, but there's no denying that RB had 2 or 3 really nice reach around steals from behind last night. Once this team upped their pressure, intensity and D, the game changed. They just need to learn to play that way from the tip and they'll win a lot of games this season. Of course, they need to get a feel for how the officials are calling the game so that they don't get into early foul trouble at key positions.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Geez DM I'm guessing if you ask Boat if he minds reach-around-bandit as a nickname he would probably not agree all that much..but damn he's good at that huh?
Grand theft rustler (pilferer?, purloiner?, burgler?, looter?)
Ball Breaker
cat burglar
defensive despoiler
heartbreak thief

Reaction Score
dude you need glasses after last night if you could not see that newrip has no j, check other post that explained cup release vs finger tip release

only good from this: newrip will be in Storr for at least soph and maybe jr yrs in Storrs

Reaction Score
dude you need glasses after last night if you could not see that newrip has no j, check other post that explained cup release vs finger tip release

only good from this: newrip will be in Storr for at least soph and maybe jr yrs in Storrs
I was going to reply when you first wrote this, but now is as good as any. DHam went 3 for 3 from deep today. He arrived at UConn with a rep of being a very good deep shooter. Freshman, regardless of their rep or skills, are going play inconsistently out of the gate.

I'm sticking with my initial assessment. And I see just f'in fine with my glasses. Maybe you need a pair of your own.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
there was no rep from 3; newrip shot very poorly from 3 his entire high school stint

you dude do not check archives and seem to believe talking heads

however, newrip shot 46% fg overall his senior yr after very poor overall shooting junior yr and an overall acceptable fg % soph yr

but newrip release borders on purv/omar style not at point of release but in terms of rotation

you dude have probably never been in bright lights releasing rainmakers in anger

the pure shooter knows where hoop is at all times instinctively and needs nil time to jack it up (review wes b archives) due to only needing the blink of the eye speed to drop the rainmaker from the rafters

newrip not only has poor rotation but is aiming it; danke merci beaucoup bon soir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom