For everyone who wanted Chong to not start | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For everyone who wanted Chong to not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gee, just a day ago I was reading how Saniya was a detriment to the team because of her conservative passes -- and Oh yeah, her 5:1 A:TO ratio was a negative.:rolleyes:

Better yet was the Boneyard Coach who wanted Bent playing big minutes vs. Maryland.:rolleyes:

And butler to start instead of Chong

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's why I'm glad Geno is coaching and not the Boneyard. Having one or two great games doesn't mean a freshman should start over a senior.
I am reminded of one of your most enlightened post which said : Paraphrased: Statements like Geno knows best and he's won 11 championship (actually 10 at the time ) are conversation killers. We are all glad Geno is coaching the the team. Freshmen Crystal starting over Senior Saniya is a very legit lucky debate IMO and should not be based ( as you said in yet another enlightened post) on just one game.
Least we forget that there was a whole thread dedicated to the proposition that Freshmen Saniya should be starting over Sophomore MoJeff at the PG.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
3-5, 10 points, 5 assists, 0 TOs

UConn needs Chong, no more so than on a night like tonight. Dropping her from the start lineup does nothing for her confidence.

And as CD showed, she's a frosh. She will have her moments, like tonight, when she's not fully there.

Without her we lose to Maryland in tonight's game. She made some YUGE shots when they were badly needed, and did a lot of intangibles very well.

Reaction Score

UConn needs Chong, no more so than on a night like tonight. Dropping her from the start lineup does nothing for her confidence.

And as CD showed, she's a frosh. She will have her moments, like tonight, when she's not fully there.
I think CD is taking her sophomore slump early.

Reaction Score
Crystal turn will come. She's only a frosh and being Geno's PG is the toughest job in WCBB.
Since she's taking her sophomore slump early she'll be really ready next year.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Chong lost her starting role, if I recall correctly, for defense lapses against Stanford in their last loss. I've always liked her on the offensive side of things; tonight I was more impressed with her defensive play. I think it's been solid all year.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Not one of Dangerfield's turnovers were as critical as Nurse's two at the end of the second quarter that let MD close the gap before half time. I'm tired of hearing people complaining about FRESHMAN mistakes when at the same time upper class players make the same mistakes. Should they be called sophomore or junior mistakes? However, I know Nurse made up for it with the rest of her play and yes, Saniya should be allowed to start AND play significant minutes if she continues to play as she has been, imo. I agree that removing her from the starting lineup would hurt her confidence. Her good play this season and her dedication to this team has, imo, earned her the playing time she is getting,

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not one of Dangerfield's turnovers were as critical as Nurse's two at the end of the second quarter that let MD close the gap before half time. I'm tired of hearing people complaining about FRESHMAN mistakes when at the same time upper class players make the same mistakes. Should they be called sophomore or junior mistakes? However, I know Nurse made up for it with the rest of her play and yes, Saniya should be allowed to start AND play significant minutes if she continues to play as she has been, imo. I agree that removing her from the starting lineup would hurt her confidence. Her good play this season and her dedication to this team has, imo, earned her the playing time she is getting,
I agree... partially. I agree with the part about the players class should not be part of the discussion/decision on who starts. Consider that the last time Saniya -a Sophmore was removed from the starting lineup was in favor of a Freshmen-Kia and that Senior Kiah Stokes was replaced by a RS Sophomore-Morgan.
I disagree that a player's confidence should in anyway factor into a decision of who starts. KLS, Gabby, & Napheesa were all removed starters during last season- All seem to be doing just fine.
The best thing to do is focus on ability and results to determine who starts, these are UCONN WCBB players-ALL a capable of having a good, great or poor game.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with all the praise - what surprises me is how many people get team dynamics wrong - every coach would love to have an Olympic type roster, though I suspect few could actually handle one for a season (too many egos and stars to cater to over a 35+ game season - 8-9 games in a WC/Olympics is short enough to make it work.) But the best professional teams and college teams usually have a few starters that don't star, they are the ones who provide the stability and the platform for the stars to shine. The Paul Silas type players who have little flash but are fundamentally sound, or Kalana Greene, Kelly Faris, Kiah Stokes, Maria Conlon, etc. etc. Gabby can be brilliant on this team because Saniya has her back and allows the team to weather the turnovers that brilliance creates.

We have had a thread discussing whether Saniya will score 20 points in a game this season, and the real answer is, it doesn't matter, because she still has only lost one game in her three plus year career at Uconn, and her presence on the team especially this year has made a difference in the 135-1 record.

We had another thread lamenting that we didn't get the rebounding Samuelson, and it is the same sort of answer - if you have five rebounding players on the court, you never get fast breaks and you give up a lot of them at the other end.

The Patriots have a famous mantra 'Do your job' and the implied continuation is 'Trust your teammates to do theirs'. All successful teams can be summed up with that mantra, and perhaps as importantly 'Know your job'. Uconn thrives on that kind of trust, responsibility, and knowledge. And we all recognize in other teams, when those simple ideas are not being followed - we may criticize individual players in other ways, but mostly it comes down to them not knowing or doing their job, or trusting their teammates to do theirs.

And the bad coaches are generally the ones that cannot or do not teach their players the roles they need to play, or don't demand that they stick to those roles and trust their teammates. There is a reason the Uconn coaches emphasize willing passers in their recruiting - it speaks to their ability to trust teammates and to know what their roles are.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I disagree that a player's confidence should in anyway factor into a decision of who starts. KLS, Gabby, & Napheesa were all removed starters during last season- All seem to be doing just fine.
Agree with the rest, but not this. You can ignore a player's psyche if you are never going to need them, but if their performance is necessary to your team's success then you cannot. IF not starting Saniya created the kind of meltdown in her confidence that she has had in previous years, this team would be in serious trouble, much more serious than keeping her in the starters role with a somewhat short leash.

If equation became: Start Saniya and perhaps score a few points less during the first four minutes of a game, versus not starting her and losing her as a viable player off the bench, then you start Saniya. Two years ago, the answer was start Kia because ultimately the team did not need Saniya off the bench - because they had Moriah and others. This year ... they NEED Saniya and she is delivering.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Dare I say that Saniya played a solid game tonight? :). Nothing flashy, just playing solid defense, hitting open shots (Maryland sagged off of her), and taking care of the ball. Just what we need from her.
She probably could (should) have taken a few more shots. She was the one being left open. I'd like to see her take a few more 3's when she's open like that.

Reaction Score

As I said in another thread, I think Chong strengthened her grip on the starting PG position with her performance last night.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with all the praise - what surprises me is how many people get team dynamics wrong - every coach would love to have an Olympic type roster, though I suspect few could actually handle one for a season (too many egos and stars to cater to over a 35+ game season - 8-9 games in a WC/Olympics is short enough to make it work.) But the best professional teams and college teams usually have a few starters that don't star, they are the ones who provide the stability and the platform for the stars to shine. The Paul Silas type players who have little flash but are fundamentally sound, or Kalana Greene, Kelly Faris, Kiah Stokes, Maria Conlon, etc. etc. Gabby can be brilliant on this team because Saniya has her back and allows the team to weather the turnovers that brilliance creates.

We have had a thread discussing whether Saniya will score 20 points in a game this season, and the real answer is, it doesn't matter, because she still has only lost one game in her three plus year career at Uconn, and her presence on the team especially this year has made a difference in the 135-1 record.

We had another thread lamenting that we didn't get the rebounding Samuelson, and it is the same sort of answer - if you have five rebounding players on the court, you never get fast breaks and you give up a lot of them at the other end.

The Patriots have a famous mantra 'Do your job' and the implied continuation is 'Trust your teammates to do theirs'. All successful teams can be summed up with that mantra, and perhaps as importantly 'Know your job'. Uconn thrives on that kind of trust, responsibility, and knowledge. And we all recognize in other teams, when those simple ideas are not being followed - we may criticize individual players in other ways, but mostly it comes down to them not knowing or doing their job, or trusting their teammates to do theirs.

And the bad coaches are generally the ones that cannot or do not teach their players the roles they need to play, or don't demand that they stick to those roles and trust their teammates. There is a reason the Uconn coaches emphasize willing passers in their recruiting - it speaks to their ability to trust teammates and to know what their roles are.
Was thinking about this specific to teams this year - there are a few like Ohio State and Louisville who seem to be trying to achieve this idea (obviously not Olympic talent, but lots of quality players) and struggling to define roles and play consistently well. MD seems to be doing a better job of it so kudos to Brenda. And I would actual say that I think SC and Baylor are having some similar issues, and perhaps ND as well - the first two lost their floor generals so the struggles are more expected - senior point guards have a large role in controlling the traffic floor on offense and keeping a team of strong personalities balanced. ND is a little more surprising because Allen hasn't been able to wrangle her charges into a really organized unit.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As I said in another thread, I think Chong strengthened her grip on the starting PG position with her performance last night.
And deservedly so. I've never been a member of her fan club but she's doing a great job letting the game comes to her, recognizing when to shoot and drive. She showed she belonged out there in a big spot.

Reaction Score
And deservedly so. I've never been a member of her fan club but she's doing a great job letting the game comes to her, recognizing when to shoot and drive. She showed she belonged out there in a big spot.
3-5, 10 points, NO TO!!! Not bad!!!!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong has earned her spot on this team. She has been through a lot playing behind more talented players and playing a supportive role, going through injuries both long term and short term as well as periods of inconsistency, staying loyal to the program when truth be told she could have gone elsewhere and gotten starter minutes, she is most experienced part of the senior leadership along with Tierney Lawlor and finally she is healthy, playing well while enjoying her last year of eligibility on a team that has a short bench. We should all be thankful that this year we have a healthy, productive Saniya Chong.

Reaction Score
What troubles me is the fact that Dangerfield's slump began after her concussion. She hasn't been the same player since. Hope it's just freshman slump.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong has earned her spot on this team. She has been through a lot playing behind more talented players and playing a supportive role, going through injuries both long term and short term as well as periods of inconsistency, staying loyal to the program when truth be told she could have gone elsewhere and gotten starter minutes, she is most experienced part of the senior leadership along with Tierney Lawlor and finally she is healthy, playing well while enjoying her last year of eligibility on a team that has a short bench. We should all be thankful that this year we have a healthy, productive Saniya Chong.
+1000

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

Saniya - for the second year in a row inserting the dagger vs maryland. A true terrapin toppler!
upload_2016-12-31_11-55-33.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What troubles me is the fact that Dangerfield's slump began after her concussion. She hasn't been the same player since. Hope it's just freshman slump.
She lost a ton of momentum. It will come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom