For all those who say PP has to go, who would be his replacement? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

For all those who say PP has to go, who would be his replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
1a. Gus Malzahn-->Give this guy a blank check
***1b. Kirby Smart, DC Alabama-->Top pick in my opinion
3. Mark Helfrich, OC Oregon
4. James Coley, OC Florida State
5. Matt Campbell, HC Toledo
6. Todd Grantham, DC Georgia
7. Ken Niumatalolo, HC Navy
8. David Cutcliffe, HC Duke
9. Gene Chizik, Unemployed
10. Kirk Ferentz, If fired from Iowa
11. Todd Grantham, DC Georgia

This is my list, for starters

Why would you even list Gene Chizik, he is a lousy coach. None of those are realistic, maybe the Toledo coach.

Reaction Score
Texas A&M OC Kliff Kingsbury or San Feancisco 49ers OC Greg Roman

Reaction Score
You probably said those same things about Bill O'Brien didn't you?

No, I wouldn't have said the same thing about Bill O'Brien. Bill O'Brien spent 13 years coaching in the college ranks prior to going to the NFL and then returning to college this year. Josh McDaniels spent 1 year as a graduate assistant in the college ranks before jumping to the pro ranks. Bill O'Brien knows the college game.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'll take Bobby Petrino, I'll forgive him

Reaction Score
allie_sherman_1968_10_01.jpg

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
D Brown is not the answer. That "awesome" d gave up 34 yesterday
Absurd. Number 10 FBS defense in total yards allowed and that's playing with an offense that keeps them on the field way more than they should be. With an offense that would go 3 and out less often it is reasonable to think that they would be Top 5.

If we had an offense that was half as good as the defense, we would have won at least 9 games this year. NC State, Temple, and USF would all be easy wins. They probably beat WMU just by virtue of letting the defense catch their breath. They probably beat Rutgers based on scoring more than 3 points and keeping the D rested.

Reaction Score
That all depends on whether or not Warde and UConn are willing/able to pay what is on scale with other good programs. If we can up the head coach to $2.5M and pay our assistants quite a bit more, we might be able to lure a decent coach.

When it comes to compensation, think B1G is right. We have two problems. One, is the coaching issue, the other conference realignment. Why not kill two birds with one stone [sic].

What is the possibility of a big name coach being enough to impress our way into a B1G conference? Why not hire the absolute best and pay them the absolute highest, with the risky but possible prospect that such a hire will make us get into a major conference. Assuming the windfall in revenues from a new conference is true, pay will not be as big an issue. We need to think about how things will be, not how they are now. Tough sell, yes, but I can dream. No risk, no reward. Think B1G, right?

Reaction Score
When it comes to compensation, think B1G is right. We have two problems. One, is the coaching issue, the other conference realignment. Why not kill two birds with one stone [sic].

What is the possibility of a big name coach being enough to impress our way into a B1G conference? Why not hire the absolute best and pay them the absolute highest, with the risky but possible prospect that such a hire will make us get into a major conference. Assuming the windfall in revenues from a new conference is true, pay will not be as big an issue. We need to think about how things will be, not how they are now. Tough sell, yes, but I can dream. No risk, no reward. Think B1G, right?

Not sure we can "impress" our way Into the B1G with a coach but understand the premise and the ability to increase pay with additional conference TV revenues. In my eyes, the problem is the near term float till/if that happens. Someone has to come coco with the cash for the salary and current staff buy-outs. PP current salary is not paid using any state funds.

Reaction Score
Why would you even list Gene Chizik, he is a lousy coach. None of those are realistic, maybe the Toledo coach.

See this is the problem, we didn't try any of these up and coming coordinators the last time we were looking for a coach, went with the safe hire and look where that got us. If we offer one of those big program coordinators, we have a chance to energize the fan base and that's something we need. Gotta aim big at a time like this

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just gonna throw this out there cause his name isn't usually mentioned... How bout Eric Mangini?

Reaction Score
uconn needs a offensive minded coach so try to pry away mike leach from washington state

Reaction Score
Not sure we can "impress" our way Into the B1G with a coach but understand the premise and the ability to increase pay with additional conference TV revenues. In my eyes, the problem is the near term float till/if that happens. Someone has to come coco with the cash for the salary and current staff buy-outs. PP current salary is not paid using any state funds.

If Warde had the audacity and the means to bring in a coach with Cowher or Gruden type stature, then that would be a total game changer for us. It's mostly a fantasy, but this sort of thing does happen.

Reaction Score
If Warde had the audacity and the means to bring in a coach with Cowher or Gruden type stature, then that would be a total game changer for us. It's mostly a fantasy, but this sort of thing does happen.

I agree, a national name or former NFL coach is not taking this job unless he has been denied over and over. Besides, HCPP has shown that significant time away (let alone never having done) the college head coach is a disadvantage. IMO, we need a younger coach with a dynamic offense to put a product out on the field that will sell, that will attract talented players that will want to play in that system and win. I like McDonnell also because he is a northeast guy and would have a leg up recruiting.

Reaction Score
I agree, a national name or former NFL coach is not taking this job unless he has been denied over and over. Besides, HCPP has shown that significant time away (let alone never having done) the college head coach is a disadvantage. IMO, we need a younger coach with a dynamic offense to put a product out on the field that will sell, that will attract talented players that will want to play in that system and win. I like McDonnell also because he is a northeast guy and would have a leg up recruiting.

If you can get a copy cheap, check out "Meat Market" by Bruce Feldman. Ed Orgeron was on P's staff at Syracuse, he discussed his time up there in the book and he basically said that Syracuse didn't invest the same level of energy as the rest of the country in recruiting. He was basically a generation behind everyone else.

I can see how that might be OK for the second most prominent program in the region at that point in time, but that mentality won't cut it at UConn.

Reaction Score
That would be my fallback position. Not sure how strong a recruiter and communicator he is. Those two qualities are essential right now.

UConn could hire a recruiter like MD did, notice how their recruiting *'s went up. Brown has the fire and passion the team needs, the fans need.

Reaction Score
Either of the two Stanford coordinators. Pep Hamilton (O) Derek Mason (D). That is a program that does things the right way both on and off the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom