for all the complaints about tv coverage | Page 2 | The Boneyard

for all the complaints about tv coverage

Reaction Score
Consider:

The Big12 quarterfinal between #17 W Virginia & Kansas St is on ESPN+ (extra charge)

The BiG 10 final is on ESPNU (the ESPN channel on the fewest cable networks)

FS1 looks pretty good by comparison
But a lot of good games wee shifted to FS2, and no on this planet has access to that thing. Women are still getting second tier status.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Respectfully, I believe you’ve missed the point. We’re not looking for radio play by play; rather, simple things such as insightful game analysis, timely updates regarding player substitutions and which player a foul was called on would not be asking too much.

And while I’m airing my grievances (ok, I know it’s not Festivus, but I digress), I swear I must yell at the TV a couple of times each game when the idiot producer chooses to select a camera shot of a player, coach or arena reaction rather than following live game action..., infuriating!
Since the announcers hardly ever tell us, I've gotten used to watching for the reaction shot of the player who committed the foul to know who it was. :confused: ?

Reaction Score
I think it is something far more insidious than just the endless blabber, the misinformation, the lack of analysis, and the distraction. I think it is intentional and sexist and comes from the networks, SNY clearly excluded because they know who their fans are. I think it comes from their belief, perception, or notion that the women's game is not stand alone entertaining enough or good enough basketball to just "do" the game but has to be augmented with all this other irrelevant nonsense. I watch men's basketball and there is no comparison. The announcers are being told I think in the women's game not to allow for any pauses or silent periods because they don't want viewers to watch the actual game and then say " This is boring, I'm changing channels". It is insulting to our team and every other women's basketball team. Instead, as a protective mechanism, our viewers now know by feel where every mute button is on every remote in their house.

Reaction Score
I think it is something far more insidious than just the endless blabber, the misinformation, the lack of analysis, and the distraction. I think it is intentional and sexist and comes from the networks, SNY clearly excluded because they know who their fans are. I think it comes from their belief, perception, or notion that the women's game is not stand alone entertaining enough or good enough basketball to just "do" the game but has to be augmented with all this other irrelevant nonsense. I watch men's basketball and there is no comparison. The announcers are being told I think in the women's game not to allow for any pauses or silent periods because they don't want viewers to watch the actual game and then say " This is boring, I'm changing channels". It is insulting to our team and every other women's basketball team. Instead, as a protective mechanism, our viewers now know by feel where every mute button is on every remote in their house.
Actually heard from the announcers during the game between Md and Iowa: they’re scoring so fast, it’s making it hard to finish our story. Or something very close to that.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what BBallF is saying. My opinion only, BBall has evolved to uninteresting for me at the pro and men's level. They do not play basketball, they play some game known as "above the hoop and slam it down". The women's game is played as it should played. The entertainment value has increased continually over the years. As the women's game has evolved, it is even more detailed with varied offenses and defenses. I enjoy every minute of play, even if we get beat. That rare occasion points out that work is never ending, to become better at their trade. The wife and I have been regulars at the FFs, even if our kids aren't there. Of course the last time that happened was 2007. Yes, we are quite spoiled as UConn WBB fans. Let's make it 13 FFs in a row this year!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Have you watched the NFL recently, or the NBA, or men's basketball, or baseball - same mindless chatter going on all the time, and if the scoring margin is more than ten points, obviously no one will be interested in the action and we better talk faster and fill the 'lack of drama' with even more babble. And promos for every other thing the station broadcasts, and visits from former star players or celebrities. At least with baseball and football, they only have five seconds of action between 40 second periods of inaction, so they only have to break into their stories for a few seconds every minute.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of what BBallF is saying. My opinion only, BBall has evolved to uninteresting for me at the pro and men's level. They do not play basketball, they play some game known as "above the hoop and slam it down". The women's game is played as it should played. The entertainment value has increased continually over the years. As the women's game has evolved, it is even more detailed with varied offenses and defenses. I enjoy every minute of play, even if we get beat. That rare occasion points out that work is never ending, to become better at their trade. The wife and I have been regulars at the FFs, even if our kids aren't there. Of course the last time that happened was 2007. Yes, we are quite spoiled as UConn WBB fans. Let's make it 13 FFs in a row this year!
Watch Geno's interview with Doug Feinberg on another thread here. He makes a great point about AAU and it applies to the men's college game. They don't play as a team for AAU championships anymore they just play for the coaches and to be seen. So dunks, swat blocks and 3s. Fundamentals not taught. More games then practice. That's why the men's game looks the way it does and that's why a Villanova or a Virginia wins and maybe this year Gonzaga. Back door? What's that? Motion offense? No way. My nephew just finished his high school season in Jersey. He played AAU, travel, you name it. He didn't know how to take a charge when he got to his high school. For the $$$ his parents spent, no one ever showed him. The NCAA format is exciting, the quality of the basketball sucks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
BBallF - yeah, AAU is all audition for college, and really college men's games are the same - all the stars are auditioning for the pros as soon as they get on campus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom