for all the complaints about tv coverage | The Boneyard

for all the complaints about tv coverage

Reaction Score
Consider:

The Big12 quarterfinal between #17 W Virginia & Kansas St is on ESPN+ (extra charge)

The BiG 10 final is on ESPNU (the ESPN channel on the fewest cable networks)

FS1 looks pretty good by comparison

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Matt Buckler has picked up (or copied) the Boneyard's attitude with respect to recent TV coverage
Keep the pressure on...
Yahoo picked up his local coverage...

FS1's coverage came with a a few turnovers. The network didn't have a live halftime show. The announcing team of Lisa Byington and Sarah Kustok spent more time re-telling old stories than focusing on what was happening on the court. FS1 doesn't have the women's basketball expertise that ESPN announcers have.

Reaction Score
I am still waiting for an email reply from FS1 about there coverage of the Big East Women's Tournment.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Speaking for myself, since I have complained at least a few times. It's not the coverage. Please don't misunderstand. We know we are blessed to have the games available, especially here in Maine. It's the people given the microphone. I have NO experience and am sure I could do a better job. So, I don't want to hear that the announcers are novices or don't have the expertise of ESPN announcers. Please, just tell us what is going on, not the personal history of every athlete they can bring to mind. When I say, what's going on I mean to fill us in concerning who committed the foul, how many fouls on an individual, why is there a game stoppage, etc etc ? Simple stuff but very important to a viewer.

I'm sorry, I'll shut up now.?

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand the criticism. If you see Paige pass the ball to Nika do people really need someone to tell them Paige just passed the ball to Nika? Are all of the fans in the arena confused because there is no one to tell them what they are seeing with their own eyes?

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Ahead of any complaints, about the camera angle, talking heads talking about themselves, each other, ext. I enjoy the fact that I'm able to "watch" almost every UConn Women's game played.

As a UConn fan, after I've paid for internet access plus 1 content provider(hulu live) I get to watch the kids play whether they're broadcast on ESPN, 1, 2, 3, or U, FoxSports, 1, 2, CBSSN, and others. And SNY will be streamed out to us by someone.

How many times have we seen a game listed and decided we would like to watch only to discover no one is broadcasting the game at all, or it's behind a conference pay wall? Gee it sucks to be a fan of that team.

Reaction Score

I think this season that has been more common with the announcers either not being in the arena or further away from the court.

Reaction Score
I thought that Byington and Winters Scott did a good job on the Big 10 semifinals

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Uconn was the first women's program to get full TV coverage thanks to the local PBS station gambling and winning big. I believe it was the first to have full streaming coverage, again thanks to CPTV. And it has continued to have the best TV coverage of any women's team. Up until this break up of the BE, the university had complete control of the TV rights - that has now changed for Uconn and I believe all the P5, the BE, and the AAC. The TV rights that are being sold in the conference package now include women's basketball as well as men's and football. It has meant a somewhat fractured coverage situation with SNY still contracting with Uconn on the broadcasting of most of the regular season games, but also having to reach agreement with ESPN (the AAC) or FoxSports (BE) who own the actual rights to the broadcasts.

CPTV initially and SNY which outbid them 10 years ago really did Uconn WBB proud - SNY production values and special programming upped the ante for what WCBB could achieve in broadcasting. And SNY has remained committed, while in an rather ugly situation having lost the ability to get the broadcast rights. ESPN and especially FoxSports really just cheery pick a few games every year and primarily the conference tournament - their conference contract is about football (AAC) and men's basketball (AAC and BE) and the WCBB games are dross. I am not sure outside of Uconn if they have ever produced their own WCBB coverage of other conference teams outside the tournament. ESPN at least has a larger WCBB infrastructure/staff since they have had the NCAAs for years. They both have been happy to allow SNY to produce streaming content for them for the Uconn games.

So expecting much from FoxSport when they have so little invested and when they do not have the follow on of the NCAA tournament as ESPN has, is sort of unrealistic. Be thankful SNY has stuck around for Uconn and continues a high standard of programming of not just games but off court content as well.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I just don’t understand the criticism. If you see Paige pass the ball to Nika do people really need someone to tell them Paige just passed the ball to Nika? Are all of the fans in the arena confused because there is no one to tell them what they are seeing with their own eyes?
I'm thinking you don't watch the games. If you did you'd understand. For instance; Liv has 2/3 fouls and a whistle is blown down in the low post, we are defending. Liv is there along with another defender. The announcers are totally engrossed in conversation about some one playing BB in where ever and they just "blabber on" and don't even discuss what happened on the floor, because they are too busy showing how much they know about who cares what!! I know the game gets in the way of their conversation but HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because this happens all too often, I have my laptop with me and I have the updated box scores in front of me. Unfortunately there is a time delay between the action and the update. But, thanks to the announcers' inability to follow the action, I have no other recourse.
If I was in the arena, as you so aptly pointed out, all I would have to do is to look at the score board and the info would be there!
Do you understand THAT criticism? Head bang

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Sometimes things happen that are not obvious to the viewer and need an explanation. Most people assume the announcers are getting paid to describe the action going on in the game. That is really all I am interested in hearing.

Reaction Score
Consider:

The Big12 quarterfinal between #17 W Virginia & Kansas St is on ESPN+ (extra charge)

The BiG 10 final is on ESPNU (the ESPN channel on the fewest cable networks)

FS1 looks pretty good by comparison

The Big12 semifinals also on ESPN+.

Want to see #6 Baylor vs Texas?
One of the best teams in the country vs the future #1 WNBA pick?

Pay up.

Meanwhile, you can watch Marist vs St Peters for free.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The Big12 semifinals also on ESPN+.

Want to see #6 Baylor vs Texas?
One of the best teams in the country vs the future #1 WNBA pick?

Pay up.

Meanwhile, you can watch Marist vs St Peters for free.
B12 WBB definitely not treated well. At least the finals tomorrow will be on ESPN2. This has to be due to timing as the B12 women's tournament is competing with men's tournaments. At least the B10 had FS2 for its early rounds, quarters and semis.

Reaction Score
B12 WBB definitely not treated well. At least the finals tomorrow will be on ESPN2. This has to be due to timing as the B12 women's tournament is competing with men's tournaments. At least the B10 had FS2 for its early rounds, quarters and semis.

Sure, but other conferences have figured it out -- either finding a different partner for the early rounds or (if that's not possible) moving the tournament up a week.

ESPNU is showing lacrosse. ESPNNews is showing UFC reruns, X Games reruns, and Cornhole Championship reruns all day.

Even the A10 semifinals are on free tv (CBSSN)!

Reaction Score
I think this season that has been more common with the announcers either not being in the arena or further away from the court.
No doubt! Announcers are often watching from the stands or from a monitor. Game prep has suffered a lot with the virus protocol. Travel and games starting at odd times must be challenging for all levels of set-up. At least we get to watch from our arm chairs with popcorn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sure, but other conferences have figured it out -- either finding a different partner for the early rounds or (if that's not possible) moving the tournament up a week.

ESPNU is showing lacrosse. ESPNNews is showing UFC reruns, X Games reruns, and Cornhole Championship reruns all day.

Even the A10 semifinals are on free tv (CBSSN)!
It seems there's nothing to figure out. The B12 is getting what it agreed to with its ESPN deal which moves a lot of content to ESPN+ or what its calling Big 12 Now. Big 12 clearly okay with this.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I believe you’ve missed the point. We’re not looking for radio play by play; rather, simple things such as insightful game analysis, timely updates regarding player substitutions and which player a foul was called on would not be asking too much.

And while I’m airing my grievances (ok, I know it’s not Festivus, but I digress), I swear I must yell at the TV a couple of times each game when the idiot producer chooses to select a camera shot of a player, coach or arena reaction rather than following live game action..., infuriating!

Reaction Score
Also in terms of half time coverage ... halftime of today’s Big10 final is a report that was taped at least 2 days ago. Exact Same half time show of lobo and landers was aired yesterday.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Also in terms of half time coverage ... halftime of today’s Big10 final is a report that was taped at least 2 days ago. Exact Same half time show of lobo and landers was aired yesterday.
And the day before that, and the day before that, and I'm pretty sure the day before that. It is from Sunday, I believe. I have been watching almost all the televised games. Don't watch half-time, but watched that because of a Rutgers mention.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
So expecting much from FoxSport when they have so little invested and when they do not have the follow on of the NCAA tournament as ESPN has, is sort of unrealistic. Be thankful SNY has stuck around for Uconn and continues a high standard of programming of not just games but off court content as well.
All true. But I'm surprised by the bitching because Fox also the Big Ten network partner. Lisa Byington does tons of B1G games, and also hosted their women's sports report for a number of years.

In general, the Big Ten network's WBB coverage is as decent as anyone elses.

I do think ESPN consistently has better camera angles, etc.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
No doubt! Announcers are often watching from the stands or from a monitor. Game prep has suffered a lot with the virus protocol. Travel and games starting at odd times must be challenging for all levels of set-up. At least we get to watch from our arm chairs with popcorn.
Wow! Where did you get popcorn?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Respectfully, I believe you’ve missed the point. We’re not looking for radio play by play; rather, simple things such as insightful game analysis, timely updates regarding player substitutions and which player a foul was called on would not be asking too much.

And while I’m airing my grievances (ok, I know it’s not Festivus, but I digress), I swear I must yell at the TV a couple of times each game when the idiot producer chooses to select a camera shot of a player, coach or arena reaction rather than following live game action..., infuriating!
Your last sentence describes one of the things that irritates me the most about the television coverage. The next thing is conducting interviews while live action is taking place. :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom