Football Viewership in 2013 | The Boneyard

Football Viewership in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...ge-football-tv-ratings-2014-texas-am-missouri

The Rutgers TV market was so powerful that they placed behind the worst UCONN team in at least 15 years, in terms of TV viewership. Given SU and their powerful brand are not on the list I would assume they didn't even have three rated games.
Its not RU or their TV ratings that will get UConn into the B1G but our own so take heart in that! I don't know why we keep worrying about RU whose already in and we could use some B1G friends ? It is what it is. Hell RU's fan's were in revolt over the teams underachieveing this yr and keeping KF in place! Not a good yr for comparisons as both team's FB disappointed there base !

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Its not RU or their TV ratings that will get UConn into the B1G but our own so take heart in that! I don't know why we keep worrying about RU whose already in and we could use some B1G friends ? It is what it is. Hell RU's fan's were in revolt over the teams underachieveing this yr and keeping KF in place! Not a good yr for comparisons as both team's FB disappointed there base !

we can't compare the tv ratings of a uconn team started 0-9 to that of a rutgers bowl team? please.

Reaction Score

Rutgers underachieving this year? When have they ever over achieved?

Here's a bet I will win. I'll bet you UConn wins more games in 2014 than Rutgers does. Name you bet amount.

Reaction Score
Noticeably absent team from this list. Hint, their name rhymes with Shmearacuse. They're also New York's Team.

Reaction Score
Rutgers underachieving this year? When have they ever over achieved?

Here's a bet I will win. I'll bet you UConn wins more games in 2014 than Rutgers does. Name you bet amount.
Would be unfair bet and you know it with RU's schedule next yr so don't go too far out on a limb.I would certainly hope UConn has a 8 win season next yr or I'd be real diassapointed !! My guess is RU will win 5 next yr ? Find another sucker for that bet !!About the underachieving....check out RU's talent and recruiting classes over the last few yrs then they're record.... you telling me they "overachieved"? Few if any AAC teams have that kind of talent on there rosters. Maybe the "ville"?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we can't compare the tv ratings of a uconn team started 0-9 to that of a rutgers bowl team? please.
I agree that was my point! Personally Im not one of those guys that worry's about the ratings, I just watch the local team's and don't look at it like a race/contest.

Reaction Score
But, the carriage fee won't be high if you don't have ratings/interest.

I don't believe the B1G was ever banking on Rutgers "popularity" alone. Instead, they'll draw from the multitude of B1G Alum residing in New Jersey as well as general viewer interest generated from national brands such as Michigan and Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the B1G was ever banking on Rutgers "popularity" alone. Instead, they'll draw from the multitude of B1G Alum residing in New Jersey as well as general viewer interest generated from national brands such as Michigan and Ohio State.

There's much greater fan interest and density in Eastern PA and the BTN hasn't managed to crack that nut, so I'm skeptical.

Reaction Score
There's much greater fan interest and density in Eastern PA and the BTN hasn't managed to crack that nut, so I'm skeptical.

I want to be careful that I don't overstate the following, but Eastern PA is where I think Rutgers actually helps BTN's cause a little.

Generally speaking, I still think the B1g needs more than just Rutgers to capture New York. If UCONN goes to the ACC, then I think it becomes much more challenging for them, especially if the ACC figures out a way to hold the basketball championship in New York. Imagine UCONN, Syracuse, Notre Dame, PITT, Louisville along with Duke and UNC. So, B1G, wake up, block this move. . .

Reaction Score
I want to be careful that I don't overstate the following, but Eastern PA is where I think Rutgers actually helps BTN's cause a little.

Generally speaking, I still think the B1g needs more than just Rutgers to capture New York. If UCONN goes to the ACC, then I think it becomes much more challenging for them, especially if the ACC figures out a way to hold the basketball championship in New York. Imagine UCONN, Syracuse, Notre Dame, PITT, Louisville along with Duke and UNC. So, B1G, wake up, block this move. . .

Eastern PA is solid PSU. Rutgers doesn't help. The flow of fans is reversed. It's Philly people who buy homes in NJ, and not vice versa. South Jersey has much more reasonable real estate than Eastern PA.

Reaction Score
Eastern PA is solid PSU. Rutgers doesn't help. The flow of fans is reversed. It's Philly people who buy homes in NJ, and not vice versa. South Jersey has much more reasonable real estate than Eastern PA.

Perhaps. I guess I wasn't careful enough in not overstating. . .Having said that, I do have a few friends that are Rutgers grads living in Princeton and other areas in South Jersey (really mid Jersey) that have roots, property, school ties, etc. that spill into Eastern Pennsylvania.

Reaction Score
Rutgers will get a ratings boost next year regardless of their on-field performance as this move by the B1G was aimed at increasing TV revenue, i.e. getting the large B1G alumni base in the NY (and DC) markets to demand to be able to watch their school on TV (or in person) beat the snot out of Rutgers (and Maryland).

Reaction Score
Rutgers will get a ratings boost next year regardless of their on-field performance as this move by the B1G was aimed at increasing TV revenue, i.e. getting the large B1G alumni base in the NY (and DC) markets to demand to be able to watch their school on TV (or in person) beat the snot out of Rutgers (and Maryland).

BTN is already on TV in NY and DC. Those alums already have access. The question is whether they can drive interest enough to jackup the carriage fees. But there are not enough B1G alums in the area to do that.

Reaction Score
It's more about trying to get on the basic tier vs whatever that they are at right now - so not quite true that it's a carriage fee play, although that's part of it as well.

Reaction Score
It's more about trying to get on the basic tier vs whatever that they are at right now - so not quite true that it's a carriage fee play, although that's part of it as well.

It amounts to the same thing. You need interest and ratings.

Reaction Score
No comments about #38 on that list? This board likes to tell us that they are not a relevant TV market but how a team that was 2-10 last year is #38 on this list kind of throw a monkey wrench into that argument.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They have a lot more leverage in NYC than they do in Eastern PA.

You may have heard of a little network called YES. You might note that there is a significant amount of common ownership between YES and BTN.

So Eastern PA doesn't much matter.

Reaction Score
Is it possible Texas may never recover from A&M getting an SEC slot? Just asking.

Very interesting list. Even the "mighty" Big 12 is not ahead of the ACC and Pac-12 in viewership. If I am recalling correctly, before PP we were in the top 50.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have a lot more leverage in NYC than they do in Eastern PA.

You may have heard of a little network called YES. You might note that there is a significant amount of common ownership between YES and BTN.

So Eastern PA doesn't much matter.

So, break it down. Is YES raising their carriage fee from $3.50 to $4.50 (after you eliminate the current BTN carriage fee in the low .10-20 range)?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, break it down. Is YES raising their carriage fee from $3.50 to $4.50 (after you eliminate the current BTN carriage fee in the low .10-20 range)?

I have no idea how they are going to neogotiate, but they have a hammer in NYC they don't have in Eastern PA - so the fact they haven't been successful there might not be predicitve. It's going to be a war though. The NFL Net and MSG were much more desireable stations and were drawn out battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom