OT: - Football has a new coach | The Boneyard

OT: Football has a new coach

Reaction Score
Former UCLA & NFL coach Jim Mora Jr named as the new FB coach today.

Good to get that wrapped before the coaching carousel spins even faster in December & January, and so he can get a head start on hiring and getting to know players/recruits.

Reaction Score
I think this is a different Jim Mora from the one who gave the famous "playoffs ?? rant
after his Colts lost to the 49ers.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think this is a different Jim Mora from the one who gave the famous "playoffs ?? rant
His son, as others said. The elder Mora is 86. Perhaps best known to regular fans for his playoffs rant of 20 years ago this month. But not a bad coach.

Even though the son was out here in the PAC, I really don't particularly remember him, nor his stints in the NFL. He is not a "Junior" (technically) since he does not share a middle name with his father. He is James L. Mora, his father was James E. Mora.

Reaction Score
His son, as others said. The elder Mora is 86. Perhaps best known to regular fans for his playoffs rant of 20 years ago this month. But not a bad coach.

Even though the son was out here in the PAC, I really don't particularly remember him, nor his stints in the NFL. He is not a "Junior" (technically) since he does not share a middle name with his father. He is James L. Mora, his father was James E. Mora.
He was 46-30 at UCLA 2012-17.
And 31-33 during NFL stints at Atlanta and Seattle.

Reaction Score
Will keep an open mind. My perception that the "secondary schools," like a UConn, Houston (before Tom Herman went to Texas), Cincinatti (Luke Fickell), etc. need a younger, high energy coach to attract talent.

Reaction Score
He was 46-30 at UCLA 2012-17.
And 31-33 during NFL stints at Atlanta and Seattle.

And fired by all three. A 60-year old who has been fired from all three head coaching jobs and who has no experience in the northeast. Hard to imagine a more disastrous hire. Some like Holy Cross's Bob Chesney would have made a lot more sense, assuming he would take the job.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And fired by all three. A 60-year old who has been fired from all three head coaching jobs and who has no experience in the northeast. Hard to imagine a more disastrous hire. Some like Holy Cross's Bob Chesney would have made a lot more sense, assuming he would take the job.
Paul Pasqualoni and Bob Diaco. Not even close.

All joking aside, IIRC I think fans had high hopes for Diaco, so at the time, it seemed like a good hire. PP, not so much. After a failed stint at Syracuse, fans were down on him from day 1, and rightfully so. He drove the program into the ground and then some...

Reaction Score

All joking aside, IIRC I think fans had high hopes for Diaco, so at the time, it seemed like a good hire. PP, not so much. After a failed stint at Syracuse, fans were down on him from day 1, and rightfully so. He drove the program into the ground and then some...
Into the ground? I've seen pictures of those Huskies popping up in China.

Reaction Score

PP was successful at Syracuse, before he wasn’t. He was also well-regarded in the league. GDL was his downfall.

Reaction Score
If UConn had found a young smart coach and he worked out another school will hire him away. We got a 60yo who has extensive experience around the country. Let him hire young and smart assistants who will leave if UConn succeeds. They are a lot easier to replace.

Reaction Score
His dad had the famous "playoffs rant." This is his son who is the new HC.

Reaction Score
If UConn had found a young smart coach and he worked out another school will hire him away. We got a 60yo who has extensive experience around the country. Let him hire young and smart assistants who will leave if UConn succeeds. They are a lot easier to replace.
Isn't 60 kinda young, especially here on the BY?

Reaction Score
Pretty much my exact thoughts. This is a terrible choice. He’s been out of coaching for four years. If he had upside, another school would have picked him up in that time. I would have preferred that they take a chance on someone young and hungry.

Reaction Score
FB board disagrees. Average rating is 7.7 out of 10.

Reaction Score
Pretty much my exact thoughts. This is a terrible choice. He’s been out of coaching for four years. If he had upside, another school would have picked him up in that time. I would have preferred that they take a chance on someone young and hungry.
He would have lost his payout money if he took another job in football. $3.5mill is still enough to keep me home too.

Reaction Score
Anyone young and hungry won't last long at UConn. It would be a stepping stone.

Reaction Score
Stop poisoning the well ! Our fan base is at times a horrid subset of the greater New England skepticism disease. We start with the worst scenario of why things are terrible. We have been living with terrible for years in our football program. How about we juice up the positive. Maybe coaches and then in turn players will buy in. Ask what the impact of Hurley has been in turning around the program. Try enjoying the experiences instead of criticizing at every turn !

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom