Football forum vs. basketball forum | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Football forum vs. basketball forum

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
No, I am not referring to football-first vs. basketball-first UConn fans.

I have been reading the football board a lot lately, and it occurs to me that the content there is laser focused on the topic at hand, while we here on the hoops board are like 3-year-olds with ADD after 2 bags of Fun Dip. All of our threads get derailed, and 75% of our threads have nothing to do with basketball. I am not judging or complaining. In fact, I much prefer the whimsical, why-in-the-world-are-we-discussing-this nature of the basketball board to the structured rigidity of the football board.

I am just wondering if my perception is accurate, and, if so, why? Does it reflect some fundamental philosophical aspects of the two sports, where each forum mirrors the sports it discusses? Football (and our corresponding forum) is regimented and disciplined. Basketball is creative, fast-paced, and often chaotic. Or are the moderators on the football board just more active and strict?

This is a funny and interesting post because i went to the football board for the first time ever after the Edsall thing.

Also, you making this post is actually the answer to the question: there’s more time for nonsense here because it’s more fun right now to be a BBall fan, going hand in hand with we’re all talked out on the most important topics and are relatively pleased with the direction of the program, and lastly we’re not in season.

I do agree with your premise though, without being a FB board vet.

Reaction Score
Basketball fans are:
slow clap GIF

Reaction Score
It was fun when we had competitive football teams. You had UConn to root for on tv from late August through early May. As an alum I want that back. Competitive is all we are asking.

In terms of the current laser focus on that board, I would compare it to disaster site. If you are still contemplating what needs to go into restoring a demolished building that you loved, you are not going to ask the person standing next to you who their top 5 rappers of all time are.

Reaction Score
At least there you can pretend to have hope or a future. It’s kind of like a fantasy world.
The CR board is addictive, I wasted 5 years of my life there in endless speculaction. I thought I was cured but the latest news trigged a reaction like a shot of 90 proof whiskey to a recovering alcoholic.
There is a strange high in reacting to the most mundane rumor or social media rant from individuals with zero credibility offering a mere glimmer of hope.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
UConn Football fans also hate pizza, beer, Arby’s, home improvement, stolen cars, vaccines, and dive bars.

Not true love me some Pepe's just saying, Modern is pretty doggone good too

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The CR board is addictive, I wasted 5 years of my life there in endless speculaction. I thought I was cured but the latest news trigged a reaction like a shot of 90 proof whiskey to a recovering alcoholic.
There is a strange high in reacting to the most mundane rumor or social media rant from individuals with zero credibility offering a mere glimmer of hope.
A lot has changed regarding "hope" as applies to UConn in the overall CR picture over the ensuing years. Perhaps I can best illustrate with a couple of photos...

1631336983061.png

Reaction Score
UConn Football fans also hate pizza, beer, Arby’s, home improvement, stolen cars, vaccines, and dive bars.
Wait. No dive bars? I have posted my last post there, lol.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The basketball board is like the conversation you would have with friends in a bar. It rambles in and out of various topics but generally everyone’s having a good time.

The football board it’s like the conversation you would have if you went into a bar and got a drink after being canned. It is more to the point and, at least right now, decidedly less fun. That’s understandable.

(FWIW, the CR board is like the conversation of a room full of stoned guys. “Hey man you know what would be cool…”)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When you say football forum, do you mean the soccer forum?
Good one, but there really should be a soccer forum over a football forum (EDIT - Whoops, just looked and there IS a Soccer forum?! Scrolling the topics it looks more like pro soccer than UConn Soccer).
For a lot of the old heads here like myself who were at UConn for 1AA years, soccer was possibly more popular than any other sport in numbers and definitely most popular in student enthusiasm. To explain to people why UConn isn't a football school I often mention that during my time as undergrad football was free but we rarely went into games (can't remember the name for the hill where we stood and drank?!).

Soccer on the other hand was a few dollars to get in, but very well attended and pre-Calhoun the North Goal Gang was THE sign that there was a rabid, untapped fan base at UConn willing to get behind any kind of quality sports.

Reaction Score
Based on everything going on in the world, Covid, Afghanistan, global warming, etc. I try to avoid things that are going to ultimately upset me, like the football team.

Reaction Score
I could go for a salad pizza right about now. Or matter of fact pizza in general.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom