Football forum vs. basketball forum | The Boneyard

Football forum vs. basketball forum

Reaction Score
No, I am not referring to football-first vs. basketball-first UConn fans.

I have been reading the football board a lot lately, and it occurs to me that the content there is laser focused on the topic at hand, while we here on the hoops board are like 3-year-olds with ADD after 2 bags of Fun Dip. All of our threads get derailed, and 75% of our threads have nothing to do with basketball. I am not judging or complaining. In fact, I much prefer the whimsical, why-in-the-world-are-we-discussing-this nature of the basketball board to the structured rigidity of the football board.

I am just wondering if my perception is accurate, and, if so, why? Does it reflect some fundamental philosophical aspects of the two sports, where each forum mirrors the sports it discusses? Football (and our corresponding forum) is regimented and disciplined. Basketball is creative, fast-paced, and often chaotic. Or are the moderators on the football board just more active and strict?

Reaction Score
Maybe because it's not basketball season?

I would also guess that the football board attracts a more selective group of posters vis-a-vis the subject matter. You've gotta be pretty into UConn football to seek out a message board dedicated to perhaps the single worst team in Division 1. UConn basketball is a much more prominent brand so you get casuals like Chief stopping by.

Reaction Score
If anyone is still a UConn football fan willing to post on the board, they're probably laser-focused on UConn football. The product has been nearly unwatchable for years.

The basketball board has more young fans, new fans, and people that are just generally interested in UConn because of the popularity of the team.

It's also not bsaketball season.

Just a guess.

Reaction Score
I spend a lot of time on both boards. The football board is definitely more on topic. There is a ton of stuff to talk about related to the football program right now, so it is particularly focused. We haven't really even gotten into a serious discussion on coaching targets yet.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
How anyone can regularly post on the football board is beyond me, hard to think of a more horrific train wreck to be obsessed with.

I don’t think the fans on the basketball board are lessor fans. Being whimsical irreverent and quirky on the football board would be like trying to pick up women at a funeral. You could, but it’s much too sad and pathetic for the average person.

Reaction Score
I spend a lot of time on both boards. The football board is definitely more on topic. There is a ton of stuff to talk about related to the football program right now, so it is particularly focused. We haven't really even gotten into a serious discussion on coaching targets yet.
You mean the pinned thread with 32,000 views is just the preamble?!

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
What does this have to do with pizza?
UConn Football fans also hate pizza, beer, Arby’s, home improvement, stolen cars, vaccines, and dive bars.

Reaction Score
You mean the pinned thread with 32,000 views is just the preamble?!
That’s gone. But no, I don’t consider that serious. Eventually there will be some leaks and rumors about actual candidates, budget etc. That will trigger a real discussion. Right now, we have no idea what price range we will be looking in.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
How anyone can regularly post on the football board is beyond me, hard to think of a more horrific train wreck to be obsessed with.

I don’t think the fans on the basketball board are lessor fans. Being whimsical irreverent and quirky on the football board would be like trying to pick up women at a funeral. You could, but it’s much too sad and pathetic for the average person.
Because some folks are more interested in football, UConn football in particular. I don’t understand how that hasn’t sunk in yet- must be the H2O in RI.
I am more interested in men’s basketball but have been a season ticket holder for both for decades. I enjoy both boards but find the football board more civil - by far

Reaction Score
I’m a part timer on the football board. I get all pumped up for the start of the season then I usually leave after an 0-2 start ….sucks but did someone say pizzaaaaa???????

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
Conference realignment board?
At least there you can pretend to have hope or a future. It’s kind of like a fantasy world.

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
Because some folks are more interested in football, UConn football in particular. I don’t understand how that hasn’t sunk in yet- must be the H2O in RI.
I am more interested in men’s basketball but have been a season ticket holder for both for decades. I enjoy both boards but find the football board more civil - by far
God bless you. I’m a Mets and bills fan so I assure you I do understand suffering but still being a hardcore fan. It’s just UConns football team over the last decade is a whole other level. Like Jets level.

Reaction Score
No, I am not referring to football-first vs. basketball-first UConn fans.

I have been reading the football board a lot lately, and it occurs to me that the content there is laser focused on the topic at hand, while we here on the hoops board are like 3-year-olds with ADD after 2 bags of Fun Dip. All of our threads get derailed, and 75% of our threads have nothing to do with basketball. I am not judging or complaining. In fact, I much prefer the whimsical, why-in-the-world-are-we-discussing-this nature of the basketball board to the structured rigidity of the football board.

I am just wondering if my perception is accurate, and, if so, why? Does it reflect some fundamental philosophical aspects of the two sports, where each forum mirrors the sports it discusses? Football (and our corresponding forum) is regimented and disciplined. Basketball is creative, fast-paced, and often chaotic. Or are the moderators on the football board just more active and strict?

Didn't you just post about the "Readability" of this board?

First it was the grammar, now it's about staying on the main subject.

What's next in your English Composition bag? You cork sucker you

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My take is that the men's hoops board is the proverbial village green. It's the main attraction and the place where most UConn fans will come first and discuss whatever is on their mind. After all, we are a basketball school, so that's where the most action is.

All the other forums are simply cults :D

Reaction Score
At least there you can pretend to have hope or a future. It’s kind of like a fantasy world.
I believe delusional is the word you're looking for.

Reaction Score
Maybe because it's not basketball season?

I would also guess that the football board attracts a more selective group of posters vis-a-vis the subject matter. You've gotta be pretty into UConn football to seek out a message board dedicated to perhaps the single worst team in Division 1. UConn basketball is a much more prominent brand so you get casuals like Chief stopping by.
At first read I thought “Perhaps” is any overly optimistic even hyperbolic word choice.
Although on second thought you said D1 and that includes all of he FCS schools. So I Apologize.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom