Football Drags on UConn’s Power 5 Ambitions | The Boneyard

Football Drags on UConn’s Power 5 Ambitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not a lot new there....in fact, nothing new really unless you were questioning whether Herbst and Uconn was working to get into the B12

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think its a fair article. Its mind blowing that such a summation has been missing in the mainstream print media for years. We know why ESPN/CBS/NBC/FOX won't write anything of substance on CRA (tv conflicts/tampering!), but a basic baseline of CRA knowledge like this seems to be absent from many members of the non TV media (aka Hartford Courant/sports radio [Gresh!]), etc.

Reaction Score
"Travel Distance" is the most fraudulent of all the arguments against UConn to the Big12. Most of the programs in the Big12 are hundreds, if not thousands, of miles apart. That means airplanes for travel and since airplanes fly at 500 miles an hour, distance is a straw man argument. By definition "networks" require huge swarths of territory...that means distance is a requirement.

At least the NYT got it right about UConn being a P5 program which has inexplicably been left behind in expansion. Ok, maybe not "inexplicably" since the NYT accurately notes BC's underhanded blackballing of UConn, the constantly changing standards for ACC for expansion, and the most recent FSU/Clemson power play against Tobacco Road.

It is almost like the closer UConn gets to finally achieving a P5 birth, the more media outlets want to take one more shot at us. I suppose we should take a bitter solace UConn has become the most universally recognized unjust victim of conference expansion. When UConn finally gets a P5 invite the pundits screaming about the hypocrisy of modern college sports will be losing their best example......And when that happens the NYT will realize they were wrong when they said UConn made a "not wise" decision to upgrade to Big Time football.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Wish the Randy didn't get on the plane narrative was corrected to due to an intense hatred of the bungling Athletic Director.

Reaction Score
Wish the Randy didn't get on the plane narrative was corrected to due to an intense hatred of the bungling Athletic Director.
Great point hardcore! I just sent the author that information through his contact page.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"Travel Distance" is the most fraudulent of all the arguments against UConn to the Big12. Most of the programs in the Big12 are hundreds, if not thousands, of miles apart. That means airplanes for travel and since airplanes fly at 500 miles an hour, distance is a straw man argument. By definition "networks" require huge swarths of territory...that means distance is a requirement.

At least the NYT got it right about UConn being a P5 program which has inexplicably been left behind in expansion. Ok, maybe not "inexplicably" since the NYT accurately notes BC's underhanded blackballing of UConn, the constantly changing standards for ACC for expansion, and the most recent FSU/Clemson power play against Tobacco Road.

It is almost like the closer UConn gets to finally achieving a P5 birth, the more media outlets want to take one more shot at us. I suppose we should take a bitter solace UConn has become the most universally recognized unjust victim of conference expansion. When UConn finally gets a P5 invite the pundits screaming about the hypocrisy of modern college sports will be losing their best example.And when that happens the NYT will realize they were wrong when they said UConn made a "not wise" decision to upgrade to Big Time football.
From what I've read a few years ago, the problem is a lot of B12 campuses are not convenient to major airports, unlike many AAC schools. Of course, for an extra however many million I guess UConn would charter a lot more flights to the local airstrip when going to Stillwater or Lubbock.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'll take mostly accurate... Honestly wouldn't expect him to know the fine details of Edsall's departure, or even that B12 travel is no worse than we currently face. We live and breathe this stuff, so to us it's common knowledge.

Reaction Score
just published

5159g8PoftL.jpg

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We had Roy Kramer's( former SEC commissioner) report that said we would be left behind without the jump to football. It took a while to get the move to 1-A going due to state politics.

But CTMike is correct, the money is where football is and we are not losing $20 million a year on football, it is the overall athletic budget. Football can get us to breakeven and then some.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That was a lazy-assed piece of journalism.

He did a Google search, read four or five articles and then wrote a piece for the New York Times.

Reaction Score
That was a lazy-assed piece of journalism.

He did a Google search, read four or five articles and then wrote a piece for the New York Times.
Naw. Nocera's a pro, and his editor at the Times is Andy Das - UConn class of '92. He knows what's up.

I disagree with his analysis, but it wasn't lazy. Just wrong.

Reaction Score

It is almost like the closer UConn gets to finally achieving a P5 birth, the more media outlets want to take one more shot at us. I suppose we should take a bitter solace UConn has become the most universally recognized unjust victim of conference expansion. When UConn finally gets a P5 invite the pundits screaming about the hypocrisy of modern college sports will be losing their best example.And when that happens the NYT will realize they were wrong when they said UConn made a "not wise" decision to upgrade to Big Time football.

Actually the part of your post (in bold) is not true. Most programs in the Big 12 are close to each other and they are in the same time zone. Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor and Texas Tech are driving distances apart. Baylor and Texas Tech have been playing their games in Dallas. UT and Oklahoma always play in the Cotton Bowl (which is the middle point between the two schools). Kansas and Kansas State are close to the Oklahoma schools. Before West Virginia was invited, Iowa State was the furthest Big 12 school. Now the school furthest away is West Virginia of course. This is why it is important to find schools that are closer to WVU (if the conference decides to expand). It also goes without saying, any addition should be schools that increase the value of the conference.

I totally agree with you on the second part of your first paragraph (the one I highlighted in red).

Reaction Score
Looks like the AAC is looking at backfill.....S.Miss had 3 VIP guests of the conference at the championship game.......someones leaving soon.....according to page 118 i think on LT's...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I do agree with the writer that something has to happen soon. Connecticut has a massive budget deficit and it can not continue to fund the football program indefinitely. If the Big 12 doesn't come through, UConn will have to come up with some alternative revenue or downsize the athletic program.

Reaction Score
Looks like the AAC is looking at backfill.....S.Miss had 3 VIP guests of the conference at the championship game..someones leaving soon.....according to page 118 i think on LT's...
English please. What the hell is page 118 on LT's? Louisiana Times? Where could we see it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
From what I've read a few years ago, the problem is a lot of B12 campuses are not convenient to major airports, unlike many AAC schools. Of course, for an extra however many million I guess UConn would charter a lot more flights to the local airstrip when going to Stillwater or Lubbock.

Manhattan, KS isn't close to one either. Stillwater is only a little more than an hour from Tulsa. Lubbock, Waco & Manhattan are the worst really. Not getting major commercial flights there.

UCPusky

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber
Reaction Score
I do agree with the writer that something has to happen soon. Connecticut has a massive budget deficit and it can not continue to fund the football program indefinitely. If the Big 12 doesn't come through, UConn will have to come up with some alternative revenue or downsize the athletic program.

Completely agree with this. We always knew that the athletic deficit clock started ticking faster when we were left behind in the AAC (G5). It's now becoming very apparent when you see programs such as Rutgers and BC financially sound and comfortable while putting out terrible teams in the revenue-generating sports. I dread the return of CR Rule #1 and the last P5 bridge blows up in front of our eyes.

For the short term, I will continue to engage in Oddball's (from Kelly's Heroes) view of the situation: "Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning. Think the (P5) bridge will be there and it will be there. It's a mother, beautiful (P5) bridge, and it's gonna be there. Ok?"

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Manhattan, KS isn't close to one either. Stillwater is only a little more than an hour from Tulsa. Lubbock, Waco & Manhattan are the worst really. Not getting major commercial flights there.

Location of Big 12 schools:

2000px-Big_12_Conference_Map.svg.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Naw. Nocera's a pro, and his editor at the Times is Andy Das - UConn class of '92. He knows what's up.

I disagree with his analysis, but it wasn't lazy. Just wrong.

Nocera is usually an inch deep and I don't care who is editor is. There was nothing in that article - basic facts were wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom