OT: - Folk and Acoustic: Post Your Favorite Artists, Groups, and Songs | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Folk and Acoustic: Post Your Favorite Artists, Groups, and Songs

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My favorite folk band for the last 50 years is Steeleye Span. Here's one of my faves of theirs.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's one from Planxty, an Irish traditional supergroup. This is called the Raggle-taggle Gypsy, but it's the same song that Steeleye (and Sandy Denny) did as Black Jack Davy and Cathal McConnell did as The Dark-eyed Gypsy. The instrumental tacked on was probably written by harper Blind Rory O'Cahan in the early 17th century.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Janis Ian is probably my favorite modern "folk" singer-songwriter. Here's a live version of Stars, the title song from her "comeback" album, recorded when she was a grand-old 22 or 23. The intro that's cut off from this says (from memory) that she wrote this thinking of a star who can't go anywhere without encountering fans, hecklers, etc. She doesn't say it, but she did go through some of that when she was 15-16.

She's a shy person, and had great difficulty playing for a crowd. It really says something about her that she could absolutely put herself out there, as in this performance.

Reaction Score
This Richard Thompson song......I play it over and over, such a beautiful lament on lost love:

Reaction Score
Jackson Browne made it famous, but Danny O'Keefe wrote it- maybe the best song ever about life on the road for a starving artist:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom