Floyd, Karaban, Clingan | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Floyd, Karaban, Clingan

Reaction Score
100% hope this happens. Samson and Adama I think will compliment each other better than Whaley and Adama. Especially if Samson can develop a reliable jump shot. Samson has just as high of a ceiling as Akok but better NBA length.
The only way Samson should be starting is if he can shoot. Otherwise we will have another situation of 3 guys on the floor who can’t score more than 2 feet from the basket.

Sanogo needs 4 guys out there who can space the floor for him so when he gets doubled, he can kick it out for a 3. Or it makes teams not double him and then he can dominate inside. Karaban should be penciled in to start at the 4 right now

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I can’t watch end game.

It’s my equivalent of watching old yeller

I prefer thinking it all stops at infinity war with earths greatest hero saving us from certain doom.
I’ll always love you 3000.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The only way Samson should be starting is if he can shoot. Otherwise we will have another situation of 3 guys on the floor who can’t score more than 2 feet from the basket.

Sanogo needs 4 guys out there who can space the floor for him so when he gets doubled, he can kick it out for a 3. Or it makes teams not double him and then he can dominate inside. Karaban should be penciled in to start at the 4 right now
Fwiw Akok shot 46% from 3 this past year. Made more 3s than he did his freshman year in under half the minutes.

Reaction Score
Fwiw Akok shot 46% from 3 this past year. Made more 3s than he did his freshman year in under half the minutes.
That’s true but it’s literally the only thing he could do, and he would just be camped out in the corner. The ideal 4 is someone like a Deandre Daniels or Slater/Samuels from Nova. An efficient offense has a 4 that can create their own shot. Akok couldn’t do that last year. I hope he returns to form next season though, we need him

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That’s true but it’s literally the only thing he could do, and he would just be camped out in the corner. The ideal 4 is someone like a Deandre Daniels or Slater/Samuels from Nova. An efficient offense has a 4 that can create their own shot. Akok couldn’t do that last year. I hope he returns to form next season though, we need him

If he can block shots and hit 3s he can have a role on the team

He doesn’t need to create his own shot to have a role. He can space the floor by standing in the corner

Reaction Score

He doesn’t need to create his own shot to have a role. He can space the floor by standing in the corner
He needs to play waaaaay better defense this year. The blocks are nice but he got roasted constantly in man defense. That absolutely needs to change for him to see bigger minutes next year. I hope it was just rust and not effects from his injury. I’m not sure Hurley can go into next year expecting big contributions from him unfortunately.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Slater and samuels creating their shot was probably novas worst offense, just by the eye test. I’d much rather play a high end spot up shooter than someone like that. But if we can find a DD(second round nba pick level player), obviously that’s a step up from Akok.

Reaction Score
Slater and samuels creating their shot was probably novas worst offense, just by the eye test. I’d much rather play a high end spot up shooter than someone like that. But if we can find a DD(second round nba pick level player), obviously that’s a step up from Akok.
Slater didnt play that great but are we watching the same Samuels..? He’s been on a tear this entire tournament

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes that’s be ideal but having a high energy guy like Akok that can shoot 3s and be an elite shot blocker can work IMO.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He needs to play waaaaay better defense this year. The blocks are nice but he got roasted constantly in man defense. That absolutely needs to change for him to see bigger minutes next year. I hope it was just rust and not effects from his injury. I’m not sure Hurley can go into next year expecting big contributions from him unfortunately.
If there’s anything Hurley can do is coach defense. I feel like if Akok is getting enough minutes he’ll come around. I don’t think we’ll find a better 3 point shooter and shot blocker.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Unbelievable
no belief required.
Niels Giffey College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

after a 3 year baseline shot % of around 42%, his 4th year % jumped around 120 points, to 54%. he doubled his ppg, and did a lot of other good and winning stuff. must of been the 25 minutes per game he got, instead of the 14 minute average of his first 3 years.
in his first 3 years, niels made 30 3's in 99 games.
in his first 3 years, jalen made 44 3's in 87 games.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Yes that’s be ideal but having a high energy guy like Akok that can shoot 3s and be an elite shot blocker can work IMO.

If there’s anything Hurley can do is coach defense. I feel like if Akok is getting enough minutes he’ll come around. I don’t think we’ll find a better 3 point shooter and shot blocker.

Fwiw, advanced metrics really liked Akok’s work in his admittedly small sample size.

If he can come close to that level in more minutes he is a key rotation piece on a good team

Even gaffney was a net positive which shows how deep we are. Our top 9 guys were al positive bpms

But this team needs Hawkins to take the next step and akok to take another step forward via health

Reaction Score
no belief required.
Niels Giffey College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

after a 3 year baseline shot % of around 42%, his 4th year % jumped around 120 points, to 54%. he doubled his ppg, and did a lot of other good and winning stuff. must of been the 25 minutes per game he got, instead of the 14 minute average of his first 3 years.
in his first 3 years, niels made 30 3's in 99 games.
in his first 3 years, jalen made 44 3's in 87 games.
If I recall correctly, Niels credited his summer time on the German national team with his improved shooting and overall play

Reaction Score

Problem is minus some off man shot blocks his defense wasn’t very good at all. Physically ridden off the blocks most of time he needs to get stronger. And standing in the corner is pretty easy to defend. There needs to be so much more from him if he is to get more minutes and while I like the kid not sure of what to expect. I thought the jump would’ve been this year.

Reaction Score
Problem is minus some off man shot blocks his defense wasn’t very good at all. Physically ridden off the blocks most of time he needs to get stronger. And standing in the corner is pretty easy to defend. There needs to be so much more from him if he is to get more minutes and while I like the kid not sure of what to expect. I thought the jump would’ve been this year.
We saw pictures of a “pumped up Akok” last summer. Remember the comments of how muscular he has become but it was a joke. I don’t think it’s in his capability to transform his body to the strength he would need at that position. Naturally skinny dude. That said he can still get rebounds and make shots but he’s going to get pushed around which will limit his minutes and use ability.

Reaction Score
Fwiw, advanced metrics really liked Akok’s work in his admittedly small sample size.

If he can come close to that level in more minutes he is a key rotation piece on a good team

Even gaffney was a net positive which shows how deep we are. Our top 9 guys were al positive bpms

But this team needs Hawkins to take the next step and akok to take another step forward via health

Sorry but “net metrics” showing any positives on Gaff show the reliability of those. And Akok needs to bring much more to the table in order to get any more minutes. Hate to say it but as little as we saw of Samson he has the better ceiling for next year.

I’m not against a solid portal play in this position as well.

Reaction Score
I honestly have no idea what to expect from Floyd. I feel like I usually have a pretty good handle on freshman coming in but for whatever reason just have come up with nothing on him.

Karaban I expect to contribute a lot, we desperately need his shooting with the guys we have coming back.

Clingan I expect to get minutes like Samson Johnson this year. Hopefully some more in the early season games than Samson got, but it's going to be an adjustment for him and we have Sanogo
Karaban is the real deal, I expect him to be first off the bench and maybe some starts later on. As for Clingan, Hurley can’t screw around with Clingan as a freshman, like Ollie did with Josh and Hurley continued doing. The kid is the real deal. Clingan needs to get thrown into the fire, with Moore, Young, and Hurley teaching along the way, doing that will pay big dividends later on. Floyd can shoot it, so he will see major minutes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Yes. This place is delusional about his D. His man was open outside, because he so often had to rotate to cover the rim because the 5 was not in the paint and somebody else‘s man got by them. It’s why he had so many blocks. He rarely got a block on his own guy. His defense was fine. He’s the ideal 4 with Sanogo, and I expect Johnson to do similar things as well.

Reaction Score
Yes. This place is delusional about his D. His man was open outside, because he so often had to rotate to cover the rim because the 5 was not in the paint and somebody else‘s man got by them. It’s why he had so many blocks. He rarely got a block on his own guy. His defense was fine. He’s the ideal 4 with Sanogo, and I expect Johnson to do similar things as well.
I’m sorry but just no. He consistently got lost on switches and screens, allowing incredibly easy baskets and got pushed around in the paint. I’m hoping it was rust because the switching/screen issue is clearly mental and not physical, but there’s a reason he very rarely saw the floor this year. His defense was basically unplayable when combined with his limited offensive game. I’d love for him to come back next year and be a key contributor but I think Hurley would be making a big mistake counting on major minutes from him.

Reaction Score
Samson’s minutes will be determined by his defense. That’s the way DH rolls.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but just no. He consistently got lost on switches and screens, allowing incredibly easy baskets and got pushed around in the paint. I’m hoping it was rust because the switching/screen issue is clearly mental and not physical, but there’s a reason he very rarely saw the floor this year. His defense was basically unplayable when combined with his limited offensive game. I’d love for him to come back next year and be a key contributor but I think Hurley would be making a big mistake counting on major minutes from him.

Does he have to clean up certain aspects of his D? Absolutely, but that applies to almost everyone. He did some things well, especially the weak side help, and in his limited time he knocked down threes which was something we really need.

Reaction Score
We saw pictures of a “pumped up Akok” last summer. Remember the comments of how muscular he has become but it was a joke. I don’t think it’s in his capability to transform his body to the strength he would need at that position. Naturally skinny dude. That said he can still get rebounds and make shots but he’s going to get pushed around which will limit his minutes and use ability.
I think Akok’s inability or unwillingness to put the ball on the floor really hurts his chances to play more. Did he once this season take more than 2 bounces before giving the ball up?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

It’s necessary that whoever is playing the 4 can be relied on to score when they get the ball in the post or for an open jumper. Playing Whaley at the four was a detriment on offense

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom