Florida St @ Louisville - 1/21/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Florida St @ Louisville - 1/21/18

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
FSU has lots of athletes but they make some of the worst decisions by a ranked team you will ever see. Louisville looks far better coached even if they played poorly today.

Including their coach. Letting them shoot a 3pt shot when they should have fouled with time running out was about as boneheaded a decision as you will see.

Reaction Score
The competition almost always has their best game against UConn. Everybody wants to see the circus when it comes to town. In this case, they want to see the circus come crumbling down. Still haven't figured out why USF plays so poorly against UConn. That's a matter for another day, Monday, February 26, 2018.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The competition almost always has their best game against UConn. Everybody wants to see the circus when it comes to town. In this case, they want to see the circus come crumbling down. Still haven't figured out why USF plays so poorly against UConn. That's a matter for another day, Monday, February 26, 2018.

I think teams like DePaul and USF which rely more on precision than athleticism are bad matchups with us. When our defense gets physical, precision teams cant rely on a few players to make something out of nothing.

By the way, USF is playing poorly against everybody lately and is quickly losing the status of robin to our batman. :(

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Heck that’s easy after the fact of course. Notre Dame never tried to play defense the whole game. They got somewhat close, raised their arms to not foul and ran back down the floor after a basket was made. ND played real defensive basketball and said the heck with worrying about fouling and played some transition defense against Tennessee

Yep, I agree with the idea that if you handle Durr and Hines-Allen you can neutralize Louisville's offensive. However, ND didn't get close to stopping either of them let alone both.

I'm cautiously optimistic that ND has turned the corner defensively, but those two are still a bad matchup for ND's personnel or lack thereof.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yep, I agree with the idea that if you handle Durr and Hines-Allen you can neutralize Louisville's offensive. However, ND didn't get close to stopping either of them let alone both.

I'm cautiously optimistic that ND has turned the corner defensively, but those two are still a bad matchup for ND's personnel or lack thereof.

I think the shock of being undermanned caused ND to play too conservatively on defense to the point of paralysis because of concerns on fouling out. It seemed to me that MM came in with a game plan that this was going to be an offensive game and ND could beat Louisville in a shootout. I think they have since realized you cant abandon tough defense even if there is foul trouble. Just a hypothesis.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am waiting for Muffets tweet that FSU are the best team in the nation :oops:

Funny. I was surprised to hear her say that about Louisville. It's never a good idea to judge an opponent after your team just folded like a cheap suit.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Why the optimism?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Why the optimism?

I thought the defense looked much better in the 2nd half against Tennessee and against Clemson. Of course, one has to consider the opposition, but I think the players are more comfortable in their roles in the zone scheme that Muffet has been using and are doing a better job at getting hands in passing lanes and such.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I thought the defense looked much better in the 2nd half against Tennessee and against Clemson. Of course, one has to consider the opposition, but I think the players are more comfortable in their roles in the zone scheme that Muffet has been using and are doing a better job at getting hands in passing lanes and such.

I'll have to pay attention the next time ND plays a good team. Over a beer after the Temple game a few of us Boneyarders were talking about the days when Notre Dame used to be a good defensive team. Those were the days of Novosel and Mallory.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'll have to pay attention the next time ND plays a good team. Over a beer after the Temple game a few of us Boneyarders were talking about the days when Notre Dame used to be a good defensive team. Those were the days of Novosel and Mallory.

ND FG% allowed by year:
07-08 - 39.1%
08-09 - 38.6
09-10 - 41.0
10-11 - 36.8
11-12 - 36.1
12-13 - 37.7
13-14 - 37.8
14-15 - 37.6
15-16 - 37.7
16-17 - 39.3
17-18 - 40.9

The 2011-2012 starters were Diggins, McBride, Mallory, Novosel, and Peters. So yeah those were the best defensive years for ND in the recent past but the numbers were pretty consistent on D until last year.

Not sure why the drop last year. I'd guess it had to with having less depth. The class that departed prior to last year was Mabrey1, Cable, and Huffman. Without them, Mabrey2 and Ogunbowale had to play heavy minutes and carry the scoring both of which hurt their (not amazing to begin with) D.

Mabrey1 was not good on D but Cable and Huffman were so that probably played a part as well.

This year, everyone who had a chance to be good on D had their ACL tear, so that explanation is simple enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom