Florida Fans Aren’t Happy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Florida Fans Aren’t Happy

Reaction Score
I agree with you. Let them celebrate. Wouldn't care if it was the other way around.
Yeah, with how mediocre we've been, beating any ranked opponent even if half their team was injured deserves excitement.

I equate it to when teams would go nuts celebrating beating us in 2016-2018 when we werent ranked and already understood to be quite poor as a team. To those fans, they're beating "UConn" which means something regardless of how UConn is. Like if Duke was miserable 2 years from now with no coach K (I can dream can't I?) and Wichita state beat them early in the season, they'd be thrilled because they beat Duke, period. To us, this was "we beat a 15 ranked team, period"

Reaction Score
Florida will be better than us in March. They have a lot of new players and need to build chemistry. This will be a good win. Their fans are bandwagon jumpers and have little experience watching how basketball teams develop over the course of a season. They're used to football where players redshirt and only upperclassmen in years 3-4-5 play.
Maybe maybe not. if you are counting on their freshman to improve let's see how AA and JB develop.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe maybe not. if you are counting on their freshman to improve let's see how AA and JB develop.

I hope we can be better than them but I think they have more talent and the chemistry just hasn't come together for them yet. JB (and JG when he gets healthy and acclimated) will be a real talent boost for us though. No matter who is better, a rematch in March would be fun.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, we aren’t that team. The one where if you lose to them, you chop the coach. That’s UConn football, not UConn basketball. Wrong sport, Gators. Thinking with the football brain again.
For what it's worth, I think I had "UConn football: making you want to fire your coach since 1999" for my sig for a while.

Reaction Score
Not to take anything away from yesterday's win, but Florida did not look very good. Maybe they'll get it together as the season goes along but they didn't look like the top 10 team they were expected to be.

I remember reading this from Kyle Boone of CBSSports before the season. I wonder if he wishes he could take this back?

Underrated

No. 6 Florida: We're going to look back and wonder how Florida began the season ranked outside the top five. After winning 20 games last season and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, Mike White returns the talented backcourt of Andrew Nembhard and Noah Locke, as well as versatile forward Keyontae Johnson. He also brings in Kerry Blackshear, the most impactful grad transfer in the sport, as well as a top 10 recruiting class led by five-stars Scottie Lewis and Tre Mann. The Gators have the goods to go all the way.

Prediction on final AP ranking: No. 2

pj

Reaction Score
Not to take anything away from yesterday's win, but Florida did not look very good. Maybe they'll get it together as the season goes along but they didn't look like the top 10 team they were expected to be.

I remember reading this from Kyle Boone of CBSSports before the season. I wonder if he wishes he could take this back?

Underrated

No. 6 Florida: We're going to look back and wonder how Florida began the season ranked outside the top five. After winning 20 games last season and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, Mike White returns the talented backcourt of Andrew Nembhard and Noah Locke, as well as versatile forward Keyontae Johnson. He also brings in Kerry Blackshear, the most impactful grad transfer in the sport, as well as a top 10 recruiting class led by five-stars Scottie Lewis and Tre Mann. The Gators have the goods to go all the way.

I'll bet on Florida as a Sweet Sixteen team. Kyle Boone would surely tone that down, but I don't think he'd give up on Florida.

Reaction Score
Florida fans not happy? They DO realize, I hope, they were playing UConn, four time NC UConn? They weren't playing Vanderbilt or Georgia or LSU, they were playing UConn. They have no reason to be upset. In fact I respect Coach Mike White for scheduling up . . . a tough, OOC game. FLORIDA FANS AREN'T HAPPY . . . what arrogance.

Reaction Score
First, the rankings out the gate are always very topsy-turvy and Florida is vla young, talented squad. Blackshear did not have a great game as well. My Florida friend stated his Gators are not living up to the hype. Early season, yes, but later in the season I bet they are a hard team to deal with.

Our boys put up a hell of a fight Sunday and took a hard fought win. We very easily could have wonked and played like we did against St. Joes, and didn't. That's a credit to us.

I don't watch UF that much but they've just dropped thier last two. I assume thier (good) coach will whip them into shape just as Hurley did for us against them, for the Charleston series. Everybody is gonna drop a game early, you just don't want to drop all of your OOC big games, ranked or not. I am sure the Gators will rebound from this. If I am not mistaken we were ranked under Ollie in the initial weeks and dropped out if the rankings and actually stayed there but I could be wrong.

As for us celebrating too much after a November win, I bet those Florida fans would have done the same exact thing if they beat us when we visited Gainesville when we were in strong shape and they were looking to climb the ranks and on the hopeful up and up. I've also seen a pretty raucus UConn crew go into the St. Johns game in MSG in the OBE and we were pretty jubilant afterwards, so go figure.

Moving forward, I am curious to see how they, St. Joes, and us play in Charleston. If we eneded up playing UF again and won, I would hopefully hope we don't fall back off the cliff as we've done in the past.

Now on to the Buffalo game and I'll be ready to cheer us on again.

Let's go Huskies!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn't Florida ranked around the same now as they were when we beat them in 2014? And didn't they go on a big winning streak after the loss?

Reaction Score
Maybe. But it has been a really rough couple of years, 3 really tough seasons in a row. From the past three seasons, Uconn only has the cuse win to hang their hat on. So, other than last year's Cuse victory, this was the first really big victory. The kids should celebrate and have a little fun with this, they are pumped, they are fueled by the fans. the fans, especially who were there, need this just as much.
Its been a long time since we rock and rolled

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Scottie Lewis and Tre Mann are better players at this point - hands down - and will be very tough to handle in February and March - Lewis is special and could be a 1 and done
AA is definitely going to be a really good player but does not have the offensive skills of Lewis
Let's see how JB plays at this level vs older and more physical players - I've seen him in practice and he is good but UConn doesn't have the big guards like many other teams do and what he will be facing

Reaction Score

Underrated

Florida reminds me a lot of our 2012 team. Very young, a lot of early season hype, plenty of individual talent, but the pieces just fit together horribly and never really got it together after some early losses.

I think they'll hang around the bubble and be a Quad 2 or maybe Quad 1 win for us, certainly a good win, but not necessarily the feather in the cap that beating Florida 6 years ago turned out to be.

Reaction Score
Overreacting? Did you visit the 'yard after St. Joe's, but before and after yesterday? We could teach them a thing or two about overreacting.
FIFY. It’s early, yet we all hope yesterday’s favorable outcome helps string together an extended series of improved performances and positive reactions.

Reaction Score
They actually had a decent amount of fans at Gampel today.

Heard a couple of them on the way out complaining how much UConn fans/team celebrated after the win. Thought it was much for a Nov game.

Just silly. You don't like how a team celebrates beating you -- don't lose to them. Simple enough.

Reaction Score
Just silly. You don't like how a team celebrates beating you -- don't lose to them. Simple enough.
I couldn' agree more. Besides, the better team won. In a best of seven series, UConn wins 4-2. Florida was not impressive, nor were they against Florida State.

Reaction Score
I hope we can be better than them but I think they have more talent and the chemistry just hasn't come together for them yet. JB (and JG when he gets healthy and acclimated) will be a real talent boost for us though. No matter who is better, a rematch in March would be fun.
it might be sooner down in Charleston

Reaction Score
Yeah..Fire the guy who is responsible for bringing in the talent. They just need to play together to get a recognition of each others moves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom