Florida Boneyarders (you non-UConn fans, too) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Florida Boneyarders (you non-UConn fans, too)

Reaction Score
Every thing is closed down this morning, as it should be. Our community closed down all buildings, restaurants and activities as of 3 PM yesterday.

We have lived here for 8 years now. The first thing you learn in Florida is that hurricane preparation is a year round activity. Sooner or later you will have a hurricane hit in your area. Never take a hurricane lightly. Evacuations on mobile homes is now maditory.

This is not our first rodeo. Our homes can withstand a Cat 3. We have been thru two Cat 2's with no problems. Preparartion should always be done in advance. Grocery shopping was done Saturday. We have jugs of water should we need them. Out lanai is set for the winds. Nothing that can be picked up by the wind is out.

Milton keeps shifting so the torm track keeps changing. Last night we were south of the predicted track and Milton was a Cat 2. This morning we are north of the storm track and Milton is predicited to be a Cat 1.

I am the team leader for our CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) for our community. We are sponsored and trained by Polk County Fire Rescue. Our job is to train and prepare for situtations such as this. We activated on Sunday morning is preparation for Milton.

Stay safe Floridians.
Everyone who moves to Florida (or lower Georgia) should start planning for a hurricane before you make the actual move.

Praying for Florida and particularly our Floridian Boneyarders

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Multiple tornado warnings in Central Florida. Milton is still 90 miles offshore

IMG_3211.jpeg

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Checking in from Land O Lakes (no, not the MN one). Tub filled, plenty of drinking water (and wine?), ready to eat canned goods, cash, cars topped off, batteries charged, ongoing ice making, constantly refreshing weather.com. Now we wait. Stay safe y'all!

Last edited:

YKCornelius

Yukon to my friends
Reaction Score
Riding out the storm in New Tampa, 25 miles inland at 51' feet elevation in a community built 35 years ago to withstand a direct Cat 4 hit. Been volunteering with Hillsborough County filling sandbags for the elderly all week (my back keeps telling me that I am now one of the elderly) and will be assisting our HOA with removing debris and any downed trees during the aftermath. Prayers to all who were affected by Helene and who will be impacted by Milton.

Reaction Score
Riding out the storm in New Tampa, 25 miles inland at 51' feet elevation in a community built 35 years ago to withstand a direct Cat 4 hit. Been volunteering with Hillsborough County filling sandbags for the elderly all week (my back keeps telling me that I am now one of the elderly) and will be assisting our HOA with removing debris and any downed trees during the aftermath. Prayers to all who were affected by Helene and who will be impacted by Milton.
Any 35 year old Trees in the community?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Best thoughts to all. A longtime, now somewhat distant friend of my wife's is in the Sarasota area and has been evacuated since the last storm, her building wasn't damaged but no elevator to her 5th floor condo. Hoping to avoid any further damage.

Stay safe.

Reaction Score
Checking in. As of 11 PM, I still have power, but it's been "blinking." Today was on-and-off rain and wind from the hurricane's bands. More rain is supposed to come later tonight and tomorrow morning. I just hope the oak tree in my front yard survives and doesn't get blown over (into my garage or my neighbor's). :eek: Be safe, everyone!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
An early good morning from LOL, where I think the worst passed us by midnight, as that's when I finally fell asleep. Thankfully no power loss, the lanai is a bit flooded, and it will be interesting to see whether there is any damage outside when daylight hits. I hope everyone else has also made it thru with little or no impact.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ian made landfall as a Cat 4. Katrina was a Cat 3 when it made landfall. In both cases the majority of the damage resulted from storm surge rather than wind, although wind damage should not be discounted.
Since we live about 30 miles west of the Gulf inland and about 12 north of the I a m not gonna spell since I call it the cooloochatcie river the Wind from Ian was tremendous and was so strong it was bending my sliding glass doors and sat over us for at least 1 1/2 hrs. Very scary. Milton was as they say as nothin burger. No sustained winds and some rain. The only scary thing was last their was Tornadoes within 2 miles from our house. The storm surges and rivers overflowing their banks are the problem without states changing the building codes to prevent any new construction near waters in this country without raising the height of the living area. Fire breaks around forest surrounding communities. We have to take Climate change seriously.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The lake in town is over its banks but our house is OK. We had some scary moments with wind gusts up to 85 mph and a couple tornado warnings for areas just a mile or two away but some of the scariness was due to its hitting us after dark. Things are always scarier in the dark.

Reaction Score
I think my situation is good based on feedback I am getting from The Villages area. I am not there now, but the path of the hurricane further south reduced the impact there to more like a tropical storm. That path was also a major advantage for my brother in Palm Harbor who was in an evacuation zone but decided to ride it out.

If the storm went north of him it could have been very bad from a surge standpoint, but since it went a little south of Tampa that wasn't a factor. He had minor issues with a couple of windows, but nothing significant and amazingly never lost power. He said the main fear was he had sliders that were making a lot of noise bending and had him fearing they might break, but I believe he had sliders that met the current hurricane standards in Florida.

Thanks to Husky Nan and the many others who provided good information and advice. This forum was a valuable asset to those potentially affected by Milton.

Reaction Score
I still haven't heard from my friend who had evacuated. I am praying she wasn't in an area affected by one of those tornados.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom