Flopping... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Flopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It was a total flop. Off balance? No way.
Bottom line, there was no contact. Also bottom line, there wasn't nearly the number of flops that kept Baylor in the game that this thread might lead one to believe

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Bottom line, there was no contact. Also bottom line, there wasn't nearly the number of flops that kept Baylor in the game that this thread might lead one to believe
I didn't get that impression from this thread.

I saw few flops and a few that weren't successful.

Dolson tried to screen Sims in the first half. There was contact as Sims brushed by and after she was clear of Dolson, she threw her head back ( a la Kemba) and tried to draw a foul.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
A new BoneYard milestone...The Flopping Thread.

Biff should make an animated gif.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The bad calls went both ways. I watched the game again today, and the calls on the Baylor post player (forgot name) that went out with two quick ones at the beginning of the game were very questionable, as were several of the calls on UConn. As Ice said, it was a poorly officiated game.

That said, Mulkey's daughter spent more time on the floor than on her feet. I started counting each time she fell and then gave up because she did it so much it was distracting me from watching the game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The bad calls went both ways. I watched the game again today, and the calls on the Baylor post player (forgot name) that went out with two quick ones at the beginning of the game were very questionable, as were several of the calls on UConn. As Ice said, it was a poorly officiated game.

That said, Mulkey's daughter spent more time on the floor than on her feet. I started counting each time she fell and then gave up because she did it so much it was distracting me from watching the game.

Which foul hurts more, the ones on Abuke? Or the ones on Dolson? I vote Dolson.

I think the lousy call on Banks hurt more as well.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Which foul hurts more, the ones on Abuke? Or the ones on Dolson? I vote Dolson.

I think the lousy call on Banks hurt more as well.

in your corner, dude. all bad calls hurt, especially the ones against us

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
in your corner, dude. all bad calls hurt, especially the ones against us
I know!!!! You always are!

I'm always amazed how fast people reply to posts.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A flop is a flop. It is trying to game the system and there is no place for it.

The point regarding last night's game is there weren't very many plain old flops. Someone who didn't watch the game might get the impression from this thread that flopping was rampant. It wasn't. And my second take on a RE-watch of the game is that the reffing was generally no worse than most women's games, which should not be taken to mean I think it was great. In fact, the refs basically got out of the way in the 2nd half.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It wasn't only because the calls stopped after the phantom elbow to the face and the video was reviewed with 4" of clearance and the bloom was off the rose.

Reaction Score
Those of you who didn't see many flops need to watch the game again, for a third time. Sims and Robertson were on the floor like a coat of wax, sorry to say. Yes, we committed fouls, but there were key fouls that put UConn in a tough situation. Sims's three on Brianna's foul was a joke. She was falling back as she shot the ball. There was no contact. That said, we still won at their place. Way to go Huskies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Sorry, but it is not good officiating when they call a bunch of touch fouls in one half and basically none in the second half. How are players supposed to adjust to that?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
pap - I really felt part of that was the review of the last flop of the first half - the 'flagrant?' foul on KML. Got to be a bit of an eye opener to realize you just got made a total fool on national TV by a college kid.
Somehow it would be nice to be able to assess a 'Flagrant Bad Acting Job' technical, but I suspect already overmatched officials would screw that one up too. Part of the problem is players get off balance all the time and fall to the ground with or without help from opponents so a player going to the ground is not necessarily a flop. The ones that should be called are the ones that take drama to the extreme, with arms flailing head snapping around and body prat falling as if hit by a mack truck. And that can happen after actual fouls - not a good enough picture to tell if either KML or BB touched Sims on those two threes, but it looked like Tyson had just landed an uppercut on her one each time.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
pap - I really felt part of that was the review of the last flop of the first half - the 'flagrant?' foul on KML. Got to be a bit of an eye opener to realize you just got made a total fool on national TV by a college kid.
Somehow it would be nice to be able to assess a 'Flagrant Bad Acting Job' technical, but I suspect already overmatched officials would screw that one up too. Part of the problem is players get off balance all the time and fall to the ground with or without help from opponents so a player going to the ground is not necessarily a flop. The ones that should be called are the ones that take drama to the extreme, with arms flailing head snapping around and body prat falling as if hit by a mack truck. And that can happen after actual fouls - not a good enough picture to tell if either KML or BB touched Sims on those two threes, but it looked like Tyson had just landed an uppercut on her one each time.

You can bet that Mulkey put that thought in the ears of the officials before the game started.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
You can bet that Mulkey put that thought in the ears of the officials before the game started.
And perhaps Geno had something to say on the way to the locker room at halftime.

Reaction Score
[That said, Mulkey's daughter spent more time on the floor than on her feet. I started counting each time she fell and then gave up because she did it so much it was distracting me from watching the game.[/quote]

Well, MacKenzie is a big name is shoulder. Just sayin.

Reaction Score
There was a very funny one in the second half (flop, no foul called) when Moriah was running past a pick by Baylor's center near the top of the key, and Moriah was six feet past her when the very big center _slowly_ fell to the ground.

I didn't think Baylor got any advantage from the flopping after the refs reviewed the video of KML's elbow foul. I figure it was just obvious from that what was going on.

It seemed strange that the announcers never commented on it, but I suppose they felt it would reflect badly on the women's game. I think it reflects worse on the game to pretend it isn't happening.

Reaction Score
There was a very funny one in the second half (flop, no foul called) when Moriah was running past a pick by Baylor's center near the top of the key, and Moriah was six feet past her when the very big center _slowly_ fell to the ground.

I remember that play...my wife and I noticed it when we watching the replay...that play really confirmed for me that the flopping was part of the game plan for Baylor. As I said in my original post, it's time to consider technicals for players caught doing this. The official would have to be pretty sure to call a technical, but a few technicals here and there and it would stop pretty quickly. When I first posted about this, I thought it might have been Maj Forsberg who was duped the most, but after watching the replay Dickerson got fooled at least twice as well. One was the absurd call against Mosqueda-Lewis near the end of the first half. There was also another lame attempt to flop by Sims in the second half that went uncalled. I really believe that when the officials were reviewing the Mosqueda-Lewis foul was the point that they realized they were being played.

As pap49cba said 'It is trying to game the system and there is no place for it.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom