Flopping... | The Boneyard

Flopping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
last night illustrated the need for WCBB to take a look at what FIFA did in soccer. When they changed the rules to allow the officials to yellow card a player for flopping, much of it stopped, In WCBB they need to allow the officials to T up a player who clearly flops. It would stop very quickly. There was so much of it last night from Baylor from so many different players, especially in the first half, that it's clear that they spend a lot of time working on it and it needs to stop. I haven't watched the replay yet, but off the top of my head it seemed like Maj Forsberg was particularly susceptible to being duped.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Many of the flops were called by the official to the back of the defender. A person who has no idea how much if any contact was made.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
How many "flops" were called fouls last night? (Thought the foul Bria drew on Sims was a "flop" - as in, physical drama highlighting physical contact)

I'm also thinking if it's an issue, I wonder if it could be a "reviewable" thang -- even after the game.... team starts next game with a technical or a foul on the flopper....

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I once went to a Broadway play that flopped because that's what the critics said. Bad call by the critics because audiences loved the play. Those in charge often can't tell when something's a flop and when it isn't. Technical foul on them.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
How many "flops" were called fouls last night? (Thought the foul Bria drew on Sims was a "flop" - as in, physical drama highlighting physical contact)

I'm also thinking if it's an issue, I wonder if it could be a "reviewable" thang -- even after the game.... team starts next game with a technical or a foul on the flopper....

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I am normally really skeptical of these complaints about 'flopping' or more often 'bad ref calls' but last night was pretty unbelieveable. That has to be part of their game plan. Some of those 'knock downs' were truly deserving of an Oscar.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
They must have old Bill Laimbeer tapes in Waco....

Reaction Score
I think the calls on Dolson continue to be a problem. Yes she does commit fouls every now and again, but it seems like borderline or not so borderline cases they just give the foul to the 6-5 kid, because you know she's the big bully on the court and the rules are there to protect against that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Kept going through my mind last night.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Investigative reporting has now revealed the special coach Kim brought in, especially to help the Bears hone their defensive technique ...

Reaction Score
Question, which of the 2 team's should have their nick names be changed to the "FLOPPERS' ? Notre Dame or Baylor!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I once went to a Broadway play that flopped because that's what the critics said. Bad call by the critics because audiences loved the play. Those in charge often can't tell when something's a flop and when it isn't. Technical foul on them.
"Springtime for Hitler", mebbe?

Reaction Score
Robertson flopped anytime anyone came near her and Sims took a few as well. It was hard to watch.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I don't understand. If the NBA can target this sort of charade why hasn't the ncaa wbb committee followed suit? Some of the acting performances rival anything Meryl Streep has done on the big screen...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
"Springtime for Hitler", mebbe?

Actually, Springtime for Bob Dylan, otherwise known as The Times They Are A Changin. The New York Times reviewer trashed it, which killed it and the reviewer was plain dumb. We actually saw the last performance and the cast at the end rather good naturedly made reference to the review. The play was plotted around Dylan's songs, which made for a little stretch at times, but it was lively and fun and did something the reviewer totally failed to account for. It brought a whole new generation of people to Dylan's song writng greatness in a few hours. The reviewer was more of a flop than the play.

BTW, I just watched a replay of the game and I think the "flopping" aspect has been overstated. The worst call was probably one where there was actual contact, and that was the charge called on Dolson for foul 3. That was a clear blocking foul, but there was contact. I think the foul by Banks on Sims for her second 3 point foul was a flop, but Banks put herself in a bad spot. There weren't more than a couple of outright flops - no contact at all. I'm not sure I'd exactly call the swinging elbow foul called on KML a flop. I think Robertson might have been off-balance and fell, meaning she put herself in that situation.,but there was zero contact. . The second half was played pretty cleanly, not that many whistles, and 2 of Baylor's fouls came in the last couple of minutes when they fouled on purpose. The other things that jump out in the replay are 1) 99% of Sim's shots were off-balance, bad shot selection, that maybe aren't so contested by other teams, 2)KML and BS missed a bunch of shots they typically make (credit Baylor for rushing them a bit) 3)MJ was every bit as good as she seemed to be and 4)KS settles our rebounding down.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
To the girl who blew over from the wind of KML's elbow...it would have been great if a ref didn't make a call and told her to gain some weight.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'd exactly call the swinging elbow foul called on KML a flop. I think Robertson might have been off-balance and fell, meaning she put herself in that situation.,but there was zero contact.

It was a total flop. Off balance? No way.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I thought the 'stars' we're supposed to get the benefit of the doubt on judgement calls. That's the way it always seemed to work with Pohlen, Diggins and, yes, Griner (this last was added for ETT's benefit :)).

I just recall Geno's various rants about how the team was averaging X fouls per game and suddenly they decided to commit 3X fouls just for the hell of it.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So daughter flops and mother flips (out). I never saw Kim play so I'm not sure if she was ever known for that act at LA Tech. Definitely an ace at flipping off a jacket nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom