Fixing UConn's dreadful offense | The Boneyard

Fixing UConn's dreadful offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all knew that there were going to be some unavoidable growing pains on this end; losing an all-world point guard, in addition to two marksman forwards, is going to leave a considerable dent in any offensive attack. But I would wager a guess that most, if not all UConn fans, were hopeful that the offensive output to date would register much further along the growth chart.

Per KenPom, UConn ranks 135th in offensive efficiency, a mark that would be the second lowest the program has recorded since Pomeroy began tracking data in 2002. If you prefer conventional numbers, UConn ranks 223rd in America, and if you're searching for another method, your local doctor is probably more than happy to confirm your high blood pressure levels.

As previously stated, there is definitely an experience and continuity deficit that had to be accounted for in any preseason projections. This isn't especially surprising to me, even if that doesn't necessarily make it less frustrating.

But when you score the ball less efficiently than schools like Grand Canyon, Tennessee Tech, and Idaho, inexperience can no longer be used as a crutch. And for all of the moaning about recruiting, teams with significantly less talent than what UConn has at its disposal are racking up points. Surely, it would be nice to see an uptick on the trail, but at some point, you have to look at the coaches.

No, you can't blame the coaches for Brimah dropping entry passes, Cassell bricking threes, or Samuel charging through traffic because he can't do anything else. And I'm not in a position to provide any solutions, otherwise I'd be coaching my own team.

Here's what I do wonder, though: Ollie has been adamant since inheriting the keys to the program that he wanted to play a certain way. Recruits - particularly guards - have come away from visits convinced that all Ollie wants to do is run, run, and run. He did everything short of sending out a blimp. He wants his guards to get the ball and push it, and this season, with a roster seemingly suited to do so, it appeared this would be the inaugural installment of the brand of basketball he wanted to play.

Yet, UConn ranks 246th in adjusted tempo, and is currently the slowest Husky team since Pomeroy began tracking data in 2002. Watching the games live, it's even worse than those numbers indicate - they play at a glacial pace, and it can sometimes be tough to watch.

Not helping my argument: UConn has won two titles in the last four years playing slow it down basketball, and oftentimes the discipline instilled by playing that style paid dividends on the biggest stage.

I'm perplexed that it has carried over to this season for a few reasons, though. For starters, it's just easier for offensively-challenged teams to score in a free-flowing settings. You stop overthinking the game and instincts prevail. Structure is good, otherwise you wind up like St. Johns. But over-structure can sometimes be detrimental to development, and an aggressive pursuit of favorable match-ups shouldn't be confused with recklessness.

Watching even one Golden State Warriors game can provide a valuable manual on the virtues of up-tempo basketball. Most teams limit their fast-break attack to exclusively odd-man opportunities; Golden State will pursue transient three-on-three chances while big men lag behind the break, confusing opposing defenses with crossing-action in the open court that produce mismatches in the wrong places. Playing three-on-three is easier than five-on-five for obvious reasons: you can score simply by beating the initial defender off the dribble rather than having to methodically exploit sophisticated half-court defenses.

Take a parallel from another sport, Oregon football. It isn’t necessarily the content of the offense that bewilders opponents, it’s that their pace forces defenses to process, identify, and adjust to various formations in a fraction of the time they're accustomed to having. In basketball, many of those principles apply to the open court: you aren’t able to revert to your default defense, and instead you must make difficult, instinctual reads that stray outside your comfort zone.

For whatever reason, Ollie appears hell-bent on playing two bigs at virtually all times. If that is going to be the case, there is no reason not to run. Brimah’s rebounding has come under scrutiny many times on here, and for good reason, but he is taking the ball from the backboard at a higher rate recently. He has averaged 9 rebounds per 40 minutes in his last seven games, which, while not ideal, is a step in the right direction. Moreover, Facey and Hamilton are strong rebounders for their positions, meaning the front court should be able to control the boards against most teams without assistance from the guards.

There are many problems that are currently plaguing this group, and many of them are of the sort only time can solve. I think no less of Ollie as a coach today than I did after the national title, and any skeptic could have forecasted the impending step back to reality. Obviously I know a lot less about basketball than the guys on the staff, but as a distant observer, something seems off about this team. Nearly every win has been a grind, and although I generally roll my eyes when I hear something along these lines, I’ll say it anyway: it doesn’t look like they’re having fun playing basketball. Maybe a lot of their problems can be cured by minor tweaks, maybe something more drastic is in store. Whatever the case, I’m excited to see how they are addressed Thursday against a tough conference opponent.

Reaction Score
Take a look at this article. generally speaking teams that play at a slower pace win more than teams that play at a faster pace. In last years NCAA tournament slower paced teams were 44-22 and had amost twice as many upsets. I'm sure Ollie is aware of this. I'm guessing the reason is slower paced teams probably give up less transition points and turn the ball over less.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12165997/college-hoops-going-sluggish-pace

Reaction Score
You can't "run" just because you rebound. You need to have bigs who can throw an outlet pass with authority. We have none as we can see. Hamilton at least can grab a board and take it out of the pack looking to make something happen. But others can't throw the ball to half court, and don't even look to because they are basically awful passers. You can blame the coaching staff for recruiting people who can't throw an outlet pass and need to hand the ball off, but you can't blame them for believing they have the right guys and they can eventually learn how to throw a 30 foot pass.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It seems to me that the Huskies are trying to go uptempo whenever they can, but they are just not good enough yet "valuing the ball." Their inexperience leads them to making turnover after turnover that comes, in part, from trying to play so fast. The thing that confuses me some about KO is that he does not seem to be wanting them to slow down, which means we are going to continue to have a lot of turnovers until the team gets better with handling the ball and making the right decisions under pressure. DHam handing off to Boat is a bit of a slowing down, but it just seems that the game is too fast for a lot of our guys and KO wants them to get better at playing really fast even with the cost it entails. We are really missing a second point guard to help break pressure and attack zone defenses.

Reaction Score
You can't "run" just because you rebound. You need to have bigs who can throw an outlet pass with authority...

But to make the crisp pass, you need to know an outlet ready to receive. Having to look around or put the ball on the floor gives up the speed. Since we usually keep a third man back to help secure the rebound, it makes it difficult to establish outlet position, and still have the "numbers" to run.

Reaction Score
We all knew that there were going to be some unavoidable growing pains on this end; losing an all-world point guard, in addition to two marksman forwards, is going to leave a considerable dent in any offensive attack. But I would wager a guess that most, if not all UConn fans, were hopeful that the offensive output to date would register much further along the growth chart.

Per KenPom, UConn ranks 135th in offensive efficiency, a mark that would be the second lowest the program has recorded since Pomeroy began tracking data in 2002. If you prefer conventional numbers, UConn ranks 223rd in America, and if you're searching for another method, your local doctor is probably more than happy to confirm your high blood pressure levels.

As previously stated, there is definitely an experience and continuity deficit that had to be accounted for in any preseason projections. This isn't especially surprising to me, even if that doesn't necessarily make it less frustrating.

But when you score the ball less efficiently than schools like Grand Canyon, Tennessee Tech, and Idaho, inexperience can no longer be used as a crutch. And for all of the moaning about recruiting, teams with significantly less talent than what UConn has at its disposal are racking up points. Surely, it would be nice to see an uptick on the trail, but at some point, you have to look at the coaches.

No, you can't blame the coaches for Brimah dropping entry passes, Cassell bricking threes, or Samuel charging through traffic because he can't do anything else. And I'm not in a position to provide any solutions, otherwise I'd be coaching my own team.

Here's what I do wonder, though: Ollie has been adamant since inheriting the keys to the program that he wanted to play a certain way. Recruits - particularly guards - have come away from visits convinced that all Ollie wants to do is run, run, and run. He did everything short of sending out a blimp. He wants his guards to get the ball and push it, and this season, with a roster seemingly suited to do so, it appeared this would be the inaugural installment of the brand of basketball he wanted to play.

Yet, UConn ranks 246th in adjusted tempo, and is currently the slowest Husky team since Pomeroy began tracking data in 2002. Watching the games live, it's even worse than those numbers indicate - they play at a glacial pace, and it can sometimes be tough to watch.

Not helping my argument: UConn has won two titles in the last four years playing slow it down basketball, and oftentimes the discipline instilled by playing that style paid dividends on the biggest stage.

I'm perplexed that it has carried over to this season for a few reasons, though. For starters, it's just easier for offensively-challenged teams to score in a free-flowing settings. You stop overthinking the game and instincts prevail. Structure is good, otherwise you wind up like St. Johns. But over-structure can sometimes be detrimental to development, and an aggressive pursuit of favorable match-ups shouldn't be confused with recklessness.

Watching even one Golden State Warriors game can provide a valuable manual on the virtues of up-tempo basketball. Most teams limit their fast-break attack to exclusively odd-man opportunities; Golden State will pursue transient three-on-three chances while big men lag behind the break, confusing opposing defenses with crossing-action in the open court that produce mismatches in the wrong places. Playing three-on-three is easier than five-on-five for obvious reasons: you can score simply by beating the initial defender off the dribble rather than having to methodically exploit sophisticated half-court defenses.

Take a parallel from another sport, Oregon football. It isn’t necessarily the content of the offense that bewilders opponents, it’s that their pace forces defenses to process, identify, and adjust to various formations in a fraction of the time they're accustomed to having. In basketball, many of those principles apply to the open court: you aren’t able to revert to your default defense, and instead you must make difficult, instinctual reads that stray outside your comfort zone.

For whatever reason, Ollie appears hell-bent on playing two bigs at virtually all times. If that is going to be the case, there is no reason not to run. Brimah’s rebounding has come under scrutiny many times on here, and for good reason, but he is taking the ball from the backboard at a higher rate recently. He has averaged 9 rebounds per 40 minutes in his last seven games, which, while not ideal, is a step in the right direction. Moreover, Facey and Hamilton are strong rebounders for their positions, meaning the front court should be able to control the boards against most teams without assistance from the guards.

There are many problems that are currently plaguing this group, and many of them are of the sort only time can solve. I think no less of Ollie as a coach today than I did after the national title, and any skeptic could have forecasted the impending step back to reality. Obviously I know a lot less about basketball than the guys on the staff, but as a distant observer, something seems off about this team. Nearly every win has been a grind, and although I generally roll my eyes when I hear something along these lines, I’ll say it anyway: it doesn’t look like they’re having fun playing basketball. Maybe a lot of their problems can be cured by minor tweaks, maybe something more drastic is in store. Whatever the case, I’m excited to see how they are addressed Thursday against a tough conference opponent.
When you don't shoot well you better get offensive rebounds. And we don't.

Reaction Score
We just don't use the pick and pop play this year. We lost three of the best pick and pop players in CB. They accounted for almost 200 three's and 400 free throws made last year. NG, DD and SN were the offense all shooting over 40% on three's and 73, 79 and 87 at the FT line. I can't remember seeing a pick and pop by a forward this year. We have a high screen offense with penetration and kick out to our forwards but no pick and pop. I am hoping Facey can grow into a pick and pop player like DD but right now he never looks for that shot.

Our offense has had a complete over haul this year and the results are we are still learning to adjust to the players we have.

Reaction Score
Last night I was watching the replay of the USF game and was thinking how relatively uncoordinated and non-fluid the offense looked compared to last year. Then I compared mpg across years.

The only remaining member of last year's team with starter's minutes is obviously Boat. The next highest mpg last year for a player this year was Brimah, who was 6th, with 16 mpg Behind Bazz (35), DD (29), Niels (25), Boat (32) and Kromah (22).

Other returning players are Nolan (14), Omar (13), Samuel (9), and Facey (5), three of whom have seen significant minutes increases.

And then you have four players who either haven't played game-speed D1 ball in a year (Purvis), or ever (DHam Lubin and Cassell).

All with a brand new lead guard. This team is relatively young and just isn't as experienced playing together as Bazz, Boat, Niels, and DD were. The 5 listed above with the most points last year were all upperclassmen. This year we have two contributing upperclassmen Boat and Omar. This is why I think we could be seriously dangerous the next couple years.

Reaction Score
Although I am not sure what "adjusted tempo" means.....

part of the slower pace of our games is dictated by the fact that teams need a long time to break down our defense. They often get to their second and third option and then reset. Our defense burns a lot of the clock. This reduces the number of possessions yet has little to do with our offense.

Is this factored into adjusted tempo?

Reaction Score
We just don't use the pick and pop play this year. We lost three of the best pick and pop players in CB. They accounted for almost 200 three's and 400 free throws made last year. NG, DD and SN were the offense all shooting over 40% on three's and 73, 79 and 87 at the FT line. I can't remember seeing a pick and pop by a forward this year. We have a high screen offense with penetration and kick out to our forwards but no pick and pop. I am hoping Facey can grow into a pick and pop player like DD but right now he never looks for that shot.

Our offense has had a complete over haul this year and the results are we are still learning to adjust to the players we have.
In Facey's defense, he really doesn't get many looks, perhaps due to the nature of the offense you just described. We need to chill out on the turnovers that lead to easy baskets that keep other teams close and our shot count low, and hit free throws. The shooting is finally coming along.

You take away 6 of Sunday's 16 turnovers, we're talking about a 72-49 type game here.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Last year Ollie gave up on Omar, benched him. He put Daniels into the center spot during the run.
Hopefully, Ollie will go through the films and begin to make adjustments. At this point player development has to be somewhat suspended for victories. I would like to see Brimah in constant motion on offense looking for lobs, setting picks and using his baby jumper.
He should only be fed only when he has a much smaller player under the hoop.
DHam has to stop with his out of control full court jaunts and use the dribble sparingly in the half court to create space.
Boat is Boat.
Omar seems to know his role.
Purvis needs to stay under control.
Nolan should only play in emergencies ditto Lubin.
Starting DHam at Pf and using Facey as backup center and PF might be tried.
Practice free throws.
Saw Wade, for Miami, hand the ball over to the ref at the end of the twenty four second clock rather than toss up a fast break.
The ball should just go to Boat and let him create while making sure he is in position to play defense.
Squeaking out victories one possession at a time is the only way this team will win.

Reaction Score
If it were up to me, they would run at every opportunity. I don't think there are many teams that can stay with Boat, Purvis, Hamilton, Facey and Brimah. I cant stand watching games that end with scores in the 50's or low 60's. The winning % is extremely high when UConn scores over 70 points. Run mofos run.

Reaction Score

Great insight and thanks for the post. But I think the common denominator for successful Uconn teams over the years is experience. Young teams just do not win consistently unless you have 10 high school all-Americans on the roster. Uconn has had a few but we do not recruit like Duke and Kentucky. When we have been successful it is because we have a team that is predominantly juniors and seniors.

Last year we had seniors Napier, Giffey and Kromah along with juniors Boatright and Daniels. They played the lion's share of the minutes. But even with that team, we did not become a great team until March. This year we have one senior - Ryan Boatright, two juniors - Omar Calhoun (who in terms of playing time is really a sophomore) and Phillip Nolan (no comment). The rest of the team is sophomores and freshmen. We should have seen this coming but we experienced irrational exuberance.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Last season the offense was at it's best when NG and DD were playing the 4 and 5 positions. It bogged down frequently with AB or PN in the line up. The problem isn't coaching. The problem is that Facey, Brimah, Nolan and Lubin all lack basketball instincts at this point to create on offense (other than Facey's ability to get an occasional offensive rebound). And as good as Hamilton is he is still only a freshman and not as good defensively as either Niels or DeAndre. People were counting on Brimah's development to overcome the loss of NG and DD. He has shown moves he didn't have last season but he's still too mechanical or lost to be consistently effective.

I'm not sure how the coaches can be blamed for recruiting at this point. There is still the hangover from the NCAA bogus APR sanctions and JC's health/retirement issues. My concern starts with next seasons recruiting and years following.

Reaction Score

That's not true, I've seen Boat run it with DHam a number of times

Reaction Score
Nice op but I think you answered it yourself. If you want to win in the post season, you play slow. These players will be back and hopefully improved, so it's best they learn how to play, and win, this way.

Reaction Score
That's not true, I've seen Boat run it with DHam a number of times

Sorry I could've remember a few of them, compared to hundreds last year. 20-30 every game if not more.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the responses. I understand the coaching staff can't just flip a switch and get the team to suddenly become a well-oiled machine in the open court, but here's the thing: if the presence of Facey isn't going to open up the airways on the break, he shouldn't be playing as many minutes as he is at the four. You need to somehow, find a way, to construct a competent offense, and in my mind, you can do that in one of two ways: shifting Hamilton to the four, or forcing the issue before the defense can get set.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the responses. I understand the coaching staff can't just flip a switch and get the team to suddenly become a well-oiled machine in the open court, but here's the thing: if the presence of Facey isn't going to open up the airways on the break, he shouldn't be playing as many minutes as he is at the four. You need to somehow, find a way, to construct a competent offense, and in my mind, you can do that in one of two ways: shifting Hamilton to the four, or forcing the issue before the defense can get set.

your point is valid, and i can guarantee Ollie has been eying this adjustment for some time. (its been noted he has an analytic team giving him info on his best 5 man lineups, production wise and other important data. Thank god we don't have a stubborn coach, KO is a guy ready to make a change on a dime. the omar starting move was terrific.)

its strange but i think if cassell were a better athlete he would help tremendously on offense. He is one of the guys who isn't afraid to make the right skip pass, he is also a terrific inbound passer. His offensive IQ is very very nice ( his jumpshot isn't there because his legs aren't there; he needs to work on his body. mechanics are fine and he often takes the right shots). What cassell has, purvis lacks, and vice versa. Purvis needs to be a more assertive playmaker on transition/semi transition oppurtunites. You see this a lot in the nba - semi transition- really moving the ball up the court and playing 3v3 instead of 5v5. I also think purvis becoming the lob thrower overall playmaker will take tons of pressure of d ham ; i would like to see hamilton get into a rhythm as a shooter. IMO hamilton can be an outstanding shooter, he has terrific mechanics but it really hasn't translated yet. Hamilton is pretty sound defensively for his age so i wouldn't mind seeing him get more tick at the 4

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team has major flaws that the coaching staff should and does try to control. We're not a great shooting team, don't rebound well, turn it over too much, can't make free throws, inexperienced/young, low BB IQ, foul prone, etc.

So, it's all about game management, not making too many mistakes, or taking unnecessary risks. Thus, it will be a grind it out, ugly, and strategical approach for this team, this year. Any other way would probably result in disaster for this team.

Hopefully, this formula will work and get this team to the tourney - where anything is possible especially for UConn!

Reaction Score
But to make the crisp pass, you need to know an outlet ready to receive. Having to look around or put the ball on the floor gives up the speed. Since we usually keep a third man back to help secure the rebound, it makes it difficult to establish outlet position, and still have the "numbers" to run.

You will notice Purvis and others leaking out a lot, we have no one to throw that pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom