Fixing the problem | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fixing the problem

Reaction Score
I enjoy your optimism as always. However, in my opinion, this team has passed the point of no return are destined to achieve limited success in the BE and the NCAA Tournaments. The Team at the beginning of the year is not the same Team at this point. If they had a healthy Team going into the Big East, with Paige, Azzi, and, perhaps, Ice (no one knows what kind of contribution she can make), thing would be significantly different from what they are now. Past injuries to Dorka, Caroline, and Lou, yes, Lou who hides her aches and pains, as well as Aubrey and Edwards may have been mitigated with a full Team instead of a short one. I also contend that Nika plays under duress and does not show it. But that is just Nika. Let's face it, Patterson and Amari and Ines have not been significant.

As much as I would like to see exciting and positive results, it ain't going to happen. What bothers me is that next year PB and Azzi may be injured again with season ending if not career ending injuries to their legs. Hate to be pessimistic, but it looks like everything came together, ( the sun, the moon and stars ) to destabilize the most successful womens basketball program.
Agree. The team is what it has shown throughout the season. Turnover prone and not smart. Can they regain their cohesiveness, focus, and mojo, maybe, but likely not. Last year's squad showed inconsistency too, specifically in scoring. 3 games for BE and 6 for NCAA...tall order for this year's squad.

Reaction Score
Per Geno's comments, players selectively listen and are thus, selfish. Players have to buy in. If not, there's discord. As BB states..."do your job".

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
The problems we are facing are fixable. Some of the posts I've read have mentioned tons and tons of problems. To fix them it all comes down to one thing. Working on the fundamentals. Lack of practice and lack of scorers have got us into bad habits. At this point we have a few days off and we need to get back to working on the basic fundamentals and executing them the right way. When you look at us at the beginning of the season we were scoring alot of points. Aaliyah looked like an AA and Lou was lights out and Caroline and Azzi were seeing minutes. Those were are scorers. What happened was when Caroline and Azzi went down opponents made the adjustments and lets face it UConn lost 2 prolific scorers and that's why they struggle to score.

To fix it we need to go back and start from scratch. We've gotten into some bad habits due to the fact we have a short bench and really no time off to practice. Go back to basics. We have through Friday to work on executing the basics and getting back to where we were. Then we play on Saturday. We have the players we just have gotten off track and need to get back on track. It doesn't matter now why we got off track what matters is we now have time to fix it and we haven't had time to do much of anything over the past few weeks.

We need Caroline and Azzi back. They are the scoring punch we lost. Their presence on the floor makes a huge difference on how opponents will defend us. It also gives us more ball handlers and more scoring options and we've lacked scoring since Caroline and Azzi went down. Thats the reason we have had a hard time scoring over 70 pts. They should cure that problem. It should also help us make a statement that we're back.

Many fans feel we may not win the BET. Thats a legitimate concern based on how we've struggled. We now have the time off we've needed and we will have Caroline back and Azzi should see some minutes too. Right now it doesnt matter why. We cant focus on why things went sour. We need to focus on getting back to the team we were and we have 4 days to do that. We still have the talent. Now we will have the scorers back that we lost to injuries. They should all be back this weekend. I expect to see a different team this weekend. Dont expect miracles either. It will take time. These 4 days off give us the time we needed. With everybody on board we can win the BET.

The next step is the NCAAs. I would think if healthy we will be back looking like we did early in the season. The NCAAs begin March 15. That gives us over 2 weeks to regroup. BTW those first 2 games are at Gampel. We have plenty of time to work on fundamentals. It shouldn't take to long. We've struggled to score 70 pts a game. Our defense has kept us in games. We will have Caroline and Azzi back and that should help us with our scoring. These next few days gives us time to clear our minds, reset, rest and work on what we haven't been able to work on due to all the travel.

I remember playing sports and my coaches always said when things aren't going right take a few days off and to fishing or a movie just get your mind off the game. Then go back and start working on the fundamentals and it will come back. Your mind and body know what to do they just need you to get away from it for a while. You know what? It always did. We now have time to regroup and get back to basics and I am confident that we will look like UConn again.
We have this, who needs the coaches.

Reaction Score
You never have much good to say about Caroline! She's in the game (as best she can be based on everything she's gone through this season) and she gives us a few minutes of what the real Caroline can do. Unfortunately, that's all she has to give. Your negativity towards her is difficult to understand based on everything she's gone through this season. Would you prefer coach simply bench her?

Reaction Score
When Aubrey goes to the bench the offense gets a little better but the defense doesn't. If Azzi does play in the BE and NCAA it takes the top defender off Lou which should help her offense and Azzi has the size and strength to play through contact. Fact is UCONN still has more talent that all but a handful of teams and a better coach than any of them. They will not go out early and NO ONE wants them in their bracket especially as a 3 seed.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
When Aubrey goes to the bench the offense gets a little better but the defense doesn't. If Azzi does play in the BE and NCAA it takes the top defender off Lou which should help her offense and Azzi has the size and strength to play through contact. Fact is UCONN still has more talent that all but a handful of teams and a better coach than any of them. They will not go out early and NO ONE wants them in their bracket especially as a 3 seed.
Re the Aubrey/Caroline debate on who should start, the advantage of AG starting is that it sets a defensive tone on the best/most dangerous player. Having Caroline come off the bench gives the team a second wind type of offensive boost, and the same would happen if Azzi came off the bench.

Reaction Score
Re the Aubrey/Caroline debate on who should start, the advantage of AG starting is that it sets a defensive tone on the best/most dangerous player. Having Caroline come off the bench gives the team a second wind type of offensive boost, and the same would happen if Azzi came off the bench.
Boils down to defense vs offense. IMHO you won't lose if the other team doesn't score.

Reaction Score
Ok, thanks for explanation. Nika has certainly improved her entire game, including her present ability to hit 3s. I don't want to make excuses for Caroline's lower percentage, but I certainly could (for both years here). I don't think she will ever be at 100% this season, or even 75% except for short spurts. It irriates me when people don't get that. I do so hope Azzi can make it back and the teams as a whole can stay as healthy as possible in order to make a run at the crown.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
.To fix it ...
CD should be the game day coach Everyone will play and the game won't be lost due to a boneheaded bottle throwing technical foul. And UCONN will win by 25+ points.

Reaction Score
Nika has a very slow release on her 3. Caroline is much more of a threat having been the National high School 3 point shooting champion over Azzi.

Reaction Score
Geno summed it up. 1) Players doing things they are not good at (e.g. a "big" dreaming of playing like a PG ) and
2) Just not doing what the coaches ask. These two things are more about mindset and not about "basics."

If players don't listen closely and reap the genius of the best coach in basketball, then don't expect a turnaround.
Exactly. That is why he is so pessimistic. Reminded me of "Playoffs? Playoffs?". They are just not following instructions.

Reaction Score
The problems we are facing are fixable. Some of the posts I've read have mentioned tons and tons of problems. To fix them it all comes down to one thing. Working on the fundamentals. Lack of practice and lack of scorers have got us into bad habits. At this point we have a few days off and we need to get back to working on the basic fundamentals and executing them the right way. When you look at us at the beginning of the season we were scoring alot of points. Aaliyah looked like an AA and Lou was lights out and Caroline and Azzi were seeing minutes. Those were are scorers. What happened was when Caroline and Azzi went down opponents made the adjustments and lets face it UConn lost 2 prolific scorers and that's why they struggle to score.

To fix it we need to go back and start from scratch. We've gotten into some bad habits due to the fact we have a short bench and really no time off to practice. Go back to basics. We have through Friday to work on executing the basics and getting back to where we were. Then we play on Saturday. We have the players we just have gotten off track and need to get back on track. It doesn't matter now why we got off track what matters is we now have time to fix it and we haven't had time to do much of anything over the past few weeks.

We need Caroline and Azzi back. They are the scoring punch we lost. Their presence on the floor makes a huge difference on how opponents will defend us. It also gives us more ball handlers and more scoring options and we've lacked scoring since Caroline and Azzi went down. Thats the reason we have had a hard time scoring over 70 pts. They should cure that problem. It should also help us make a statement that we're back.

Many fans feel we may not win the BET. Thats a legitimate concern based on how we've struggled. We now have the time off we've needed and we will have Caroline back and Azzi should see some minutes too. Right now it doesnt matter why. We cant focus on why things went sour. We need to focus on getting back to the team we were and we have 4 days to do that. We still have the talent. Now we will have the scorers back that we lost to injuries. They should all be back this weekend. I expect to see a different team this weekend. Dont expect miracles either. It will take time. These 4 days off give us the time we needed. With everybody on board we can win the BET.

The next step is the NCAAs. I would think if healthy we will be back looking like we did early in the season. The NCAAs begin March 15. That gives us over 2 weeks to regroup. BTW those first 2 games are at Gampel. We have plenty of time to work on fundamentals. It shouldn't take to long. We've struggled to score 70 pts a game. Our defense has kept us in games. We will have Caroline and Azzi back and that should help us with our scoring. These next few days gives us time to clear our minds, reset, rest and work on what we haven't been able to work on due to all the travel.

I remember playing sports and my coaches always said when things aren't going right take a few days off and to fishing or a movie just get your mind off the game. Then go back and start working on the fundamentals and it will come back. Your mind and body know what to do they just need you to get away from it for a while. You know what? It always did. We now have time to regroup and get back to basics and I am confident that we will look like UConn again.
Tony my man. If Geno was not just motivating, irritating, and energizing with his post game presser, but was really serious, the issue is the players not listening to the coaches and not executing. That is not fixable except by a mental metamorphosis.

Reaction Score
A player that shoots 34% form 3 is equivalent to a player that shoots 51% from 2. Shooting 51% is below average?

Reaction Score
CD should be the game day coach Everyone will play and the game won't be lost due to a boneheaded bottle throwing technical foul. And UCONN will win by 25+ points.
And will everyone get a participation trophy like in a Saturday morning rec league?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is ranked number 1 in the BET and many feel they havent played great. Think about this. UConn will have Caroline and Azzi coming off the bench and how that will change how opponents play them. Caroline has looked better each game she has played. I would hope Azzi would do the same. Teams have to have some fear seeing Caroline and Azzi coming into a game. I would hope wish and pray to see Caroline Azzi and Lou on the floor at the same time even for a few minutes. The potential would be through the roof even with them coming back from injuries. I would think the two of them coming into a game would make everybody else relax and play with more confidence. I remember when LVille beat Baylor(Griner) when they couldnt miss. Well wouldnt that be somethin for UConn.

Reaction Score
Our bigs don't suck in the double and then pass it out like you are supposed to and when they do it is Nika or Aubrey who are open on the arc and they don't want to shoot usually. Lou is still face guarded at that point. We are an easy team to defend. Shut Lou down and double the bigs.
I’d also add that whoever’s on the perimeter ends up trying to force a pass in to a doubled post player and it gets picked off or sails out of bounds.

Reaction Score
I’d also add that whoever’s on the perimeter ends up trying to force a pass in to a doubled post player and it gets picked off or sails out of bounds.
With great regularity. How about coming up for a high post pick and roll? Only problem is that the only one before who would shoot a pull up J after getting the pick was Lou and she was usually being handcuffed. If you aren't a threat for the jumper there, the pick and roll is meaningless immediately. It only works after a guard is now on a big after the roll to the basket.

Reaction Score
Typical comment from a person who is totally clueless. What does Caroline's failure on a couple of shots in the post have to do with her 3 pt. percentage? And why do you feel it appropriate to kick a dog when it's down? Every player of this game has made errant passes, missed easy bunnies, committed stupid turnovers, and in general numerous bonehead mistakes. It's all part of the game. Have you ever played this game with all the nagging injuries Caroline has this season? Can't you see how far out of shape she is? Don't bother answering, we already know the answers to those questions! Few, if any, among us have and certainly not at the highest level of D1 college basketball. Criticizing a player when they are 80-100% healthy is one thing, doing so when they are far less is inexcusable!
It was one factual observation, not a critique; not sure it merited an essay for a rebuttal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom