OT: - Fixing a golf slice? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fixing a golf slice?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We don’t call it a slice around here. It’s a power fade :cool:

Slices leave the fairway and end up in the rough or worse.

Fades end up in the fairway.

Same goes for a hook and a draw.

Reaction Score
As you can see, too much advice only confuses the situation. There is no one answer for solving a slice and so much depends on your body type, flexibility, shaft, swing speed,... If you have stiff shafts and a slow swing speed, the ball will slice. Go to a pro and work with the pro to fix your slice. Lessons that are focused on one thing are productive, especially if you have a couple follow up lessons with the same pro. And, have your driver fitted for your swing.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I think next time I hit the range I am going to try the towel trick. Where you keep a towel tucked to your body with your right elbow and keep it there for the life of the swing. I think that's what business lawyer was suggesting with his latter recommendation. Thanks!
This is how I learned to hit wedges, not my driver. I am dialed in from 100 yards and in.

Reaction Score
Slices leave the fairway and end up in the rough or worse.

Fades end up in the fairway.

Same goes for a hook and a draw.
Christopher Reeve Meme GIF

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I had an extreme slice. For years I just lined up way left to compensate for it. Finally got fed up and decided to fix it. Rebuilt my grip and stance. Slowed my swing down and focused on being smooth instead of worrying about club speed (the slice was super short) and I would also focus on squeezing my tits together with my arms. That would keep my arms and torso working together and maintain an inside path.

My driving became consistent and much longer, even with a less aggressive swing. I t allowed me t start playing around with shaping shots by opening or closing the face and exaggerating inside out or outside in to spin the ball in the direction I want. it was definitely worth it to rebuild the swing.

Then I started playing disc golf and have just gotten to the point where I completely rebuilt my driving technique. Added about 33% more distance last week.

Reaction Score
I have the same problem, so my make shift solution is to point my club face in a little when I’m lining up the shot. That way when I swing and come back around the club face will be flat on the ball. Works like 30% of the time.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL. Golf is incredibly difficult to do well if you don't have good fine motor skills. My problem is not, however, being able to listen to and understand conceptually what a golf pro tells me. My problem is using that knowledge to actually fix my swing.

This is the reality for many of us I imagine. When young I didn’t think much about my swing and had a nice natural draw. Now I get up there and can think my way into a slice or snap hook by trying to implement the advice I know. Overcorrect my slice and it can be a hook. Sometimes the best way out of that is just to Happy Gilmore it.

Reaction Score
I never could hit a driver straight. I ended up taking it out of the bag and finding a 3 wood I could hit with a slight draw. I ended up carrying 2 different 3 woods. One with an oversized head to hit off the tee and one (which was older than Methuselah) with a small head for hitting off of the fairway.

Reaction Score
Lots of good stuff here Jake not much I can add. The one thing that seems consistent with most that slice is where they start the takeaway. Be sure not to be too steep when taking the driver back it will cause you to bring the club pretty much outside in and create that slice affect. Steep Is when you bring the club up immediately on the take back. Think about keeping the club on the ground as you begin the take away as long as you can, or as long as you can keep that towel under your arm.

Another key point that I’ve found to work is have a pre-round cocktail and a couple a side to relax the mind. Lol...good luck!!

Reaction Score
Seriously, hands and/or club face open or cutting across bar creatiing spin. One thing for sure you have to have confidence in your swing. When I don't it becomes worse.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is helpful for me. When I say “Happy Gilmore” it, this is closer to my result. If I don’t stand over the ball thinking I tend to swing flatter like this, more like a baseball swing. When I was better I spent almost no time at address. Never took practice swings. Step up and hit it. I need to get back to that. My driver is mostly good. My irons are way too steep. I did that for accuracy but lost yardage. I swing hybrids much flatter, hit them better.

Time to hit the range.

Reaction Score
Close your stance and move the ball towards the middle of your stance. It will force you to swing more inside to out.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I would also focus on squeezing my tits together with my arms.
Pics or it didn't happen...

I actually focused on the same thing to fix my God awful slice. Slowed down my swing and focused on not popping up rather than just swinging out of my shoes. Tough habit to break after years of baseball/slow-pitch softball. I'm still not great in general but at least I can get out there and only lose 1-2 balls per round. The towel technique mentioned has also been helpful for me 120 yards and in.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Never even heard of that, and am sure I couldn't do it.

I've you've ever played baseball, think of trying to line the ball to right center. To do that, the part of the bat that you hit the ball with can't get outside of where you'll eventually make contact, and then work it's way back. You have to hold back the contact part of the back/club, and feel like you're going inside out rather than outside in.

Obviously everyone's swing is different, and your problem could be different, but I'd start by going to the range and focus on taking the ball up the middle or to right center.
It's an old-school method for correcting an outside-in (aka over-the-top) swing, which is usually the cause for consistent slices among casual golfers.

My advice would be to go to a pro shop and have his swing filmed so he can actually see whether an outside-in swing is the problem, as it's not that hard to fix once you know specifically what you're doing wrong.

I used to have a Vijay Singh high fade that deteriorated into a slice as I aged and gained weight and tried to power up to get the same distance I used to. Once I saw film, it was an easy fix to eliminate the slice. Not that I'm all that good, but I can now often finish a round with the same number of balls as I started with.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lots of good stuff here Jake not much I can add. The one thing that seems consistent with most that slice is where they start the takeaway. Be sure not to be too steep when taking the driver back it will cause you to bring the club pretty much outside in and create that slice affect. Steep Is when you bring the club up immediately on the take back. Think about keeping the club on the ground as you begin the take away as long as you can, or as long as you can keep that towel under your arm.

Another key point that I’ve found to work is have a pre-round cocktail and a couple a side to relax the mind. Lol...good luck!!

Things I've learned over time. A pre-round screwdrivers does wonders for loosening up before the first tee. I have learned to stay away from caffeine and from hard liquor once the round starts. Macro light beers during the round.

Reaction Score
Didnt read through the thread but my advice (what works for me), is playing the ball up further in your stance and strengthen your grip. I would recommend going on YouTube- much easier to see someone do it

Reaction Score
Things I've learned over time. A pre-round screwdrivers does wonders for loosening up before the first tee. I have learned to stay away from caffeine and from hard liquor once the round starts. Macro light beers during the round.

A quick puff on a vape loaded with super silver haze has the same effect for me.

Reaction Score
I line up my drive and the contact feels great. Good initial aim and then...into the rough/trees/fairway of the hole on the right. I slice nearly every time I drive the ball. There's myriad resources online for fixing this problem but everyone seems to have their own miracle fix. Just wondering if any Yarders(@mauconnfan?) have any tried and true methods they use to get a straight drive. I'm too much of a casual golfer to hire a swing coach or spend money trying to fix it. For now I'm relegated to hitting irons off the tee because then at least I hit the fairway I'm aiming for. I realize without seeing my swing it's hard to diagnose what I'm doing wrong but any help is appreciated. FORE!(> 1)

I recommend that you just hit a draw. ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A quick puff on a vape loaded with super silver haze has the same effect for me.

Last time I puffed up on the course I ended up in a military recruiters office on the ride home afterwards and was in boot camp a month later. I'm a hard pass on risking another decision like that again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom