OT: - Fixing a golf slice? | The Boneyard

OT: Fixing a golf slice?

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I line up my drive and the contact feels great. Good initial aim and then...into the rough/trees/fairway of the hole on the right. I slice nearly every time I drive the ball. There's myriad resources online for fixing this problem but everyone seems to have their own miracle fix. Just wondering if any Yarders(@mauconnfan?) have any tried and true methods they use to get a straight drive. I'm too much of a casual golfer to hire a swing coach or spend money trying to fix it. For now I'm relegated to hitting irons off the tee because then at least I hit the fairway I'm aiming for. I realize without seeing my swing it's hard to diagnose what I'm doing wrong but any help is appreciated. FORE!(> 1)

Reaction Score
When you think you've hit the driver square and are slicing it, one of two things has happened. Either your clubface isn't square at contact, but is open, so you swing through the ball but are spinning it so it will go right (assuming you are right handed), or, as you swing through the ball, your clubface is not going fully back to forward but you're swinging outside in, so that your clubface has horizontal motion that imparts a spin on it that eventually takes the ball right.

If it's the former (open club face) you fix it by either closing your grip a little more or focusing on turning your right hand over your left hand as you're finishing the swing. If it's the latter, your swing thought should be as if you were taking a baseball to right center, making sure that the club face doesn't get outside the ball before contact where it has to work it's way back inside.

That is the product of way too many lessons.

Reaction Score
When you think you've hit the driver square and are slicing it, one of two things has happened. Either your clubface isn't square at contact, but is open, so you swing through the ball but are spinning it so it will go right (assuming you are right handed), or, as you swing through the ball, your clubface is not going fully back to forward but you're swinging outside in, so that your clubface has horizontal motion that imparts a spin on it that eventually takes the ball right.

If it's the former (open club face) you fix it by either closing your grip a little more or focusing on turning your right hand over your left hand as you're finishing the swing. If it's the latter, your swing thought should be as if you were taking a baseball to right center, making sure that the club face doesn't get outside the ball before contact where it has to work it's way back inside.

If I had to guess, I'd go with option number two. Once someone gets in their head about slicing it, you start trying to swing towards the left, which exacerbates the issue even more.

It's honestly hard to give any advice without video of the swing. All I can suggest is spend a day at the range doing nothing but quarter and half swings and being really conscious of swing path and club face. Or throw a video up here and let us all pick apart your swing!

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
If I had to guess, I'd go with option number two. Once someone gets in their head about slicing it, you start trying to swing towards the left, which exacerbates the issue even more.

It's honestly hard to give any advice without video of the swing. All I can suggest is spend a day at the range doing nothing but quarter and half swings and being really conscious of swing path and club face. Or throw a video up here and let us all pick apart your swing!

I think next time I hit the range I am going to try the towel trick. Where you keep a towel tucked to your body with your right elbow and keep it there for the life of the swing. I think that's what business lawyer was suggesting with his latter recommendation. Thanks!

Reaction Score
I think next time I hit the range I am going to try the towel trick. Where you keep a towel tucked to your body with your right elbow and keep it there for the life of the swing. I think that's what business lawyer was suggesting with his latter recommendation. Thanks!

Never even heard of that, and am sure I couldn't do it.

I've you've ever played baseball, think of trying to line the ball to right center. To do that, the part of the bat that you hit the ball with can't get outside of where you'll eventually make contact, and then work it's way back. You have to hold back the contact part of the back/club, and feel like you're going inside out rather than outside in.

Obviously everyone's swing is different, and your problem could be different, but I'd start by going to the range and focus on taking the ball up the middle or to right center.

Reaction Score

you made that sound way too easy..:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
LOL. Golf is incredibly difficult to do well if you don't have good fine motor skills. My problem is not, however, being able to listen to and understand conceptually what a golf pro tells me. My problem is using that knowledge to actually fix my swing.
I think video is the most important tool in any sport instruction....I still remember when I first saw myself running a slalom course years before cell phones....My first reaction was who's that guy with crappy form wearing my ski jacket. ;)

IMO It really helps with a golf swing so you can see where you club is going and hand position.

Reaction Score
Whatever you do, don't immediately do it at full speed. That was one of the biggest takeaways from my lessons (used to have a pretty nasty slice, now play a baby draw). The other helpful analogy he gave me was to think about the swing like if you were tossing water out of a bucket. The motion you would make to throw the water straight down the target line will result in a draw and if you were to try to throw the water to the left of the target line, it will result in a fade.

Reaction Score
Get your fundamentals correct. Make sure your body (shoulders, hips knees, feet) are parallel to your target.

Try to hit huge sweeping hooks

Without seeing a swing, There’s a chance you’re standing too close to the ball resulting in your hands coming over the top.

Get your swing on video

Reaction Score
Could be a myriad of things - grip, alignment, sway, takeaway problems, early extension (goat humping), coming over the top,

I'd check your grip and alignment first. The things you do to compensate for a bad grip and alignment will haunt you in the long run.

But the best way, go see your local PGA tour pro when you are able. Most will allow video submissions.

Or you can take your chances with people here on the BY. They'll end up telling you to go back to school to work on your game anyways.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Take a firm grip with your right hand (if you are right handed). Turn your hand to the left so you can see a couple of knuckles. Then swing that racket and hit the tennis ball as hard as you can.

Reaction Score
I line up my drive and the contact feels great. Good initial aim and then...into the rough/trees/fairway of the hole on the right. I slice nearly every time I drive the ball. There's myriad resources online for fixing this problem but everyone seems to have their own miracle fix. Just wondering if any Yarders(@mauconnfan?) have any tried and true methods they use to get a straight drive. I'm too much of a casual golfer to hire a swing coach or spend money trying to fix it. For now I'm relegated to hitting irons off the tee because then at least I hit the fairway I'm aiming for. I realize without seeing my swing it's hard to diagnose what I'm doing wrong but any help is appreciated. FORE!(> 1)
If your slice shows up primarily with your driver and/or woods. Many of the club manufacturers now have products that will influence shot shape and "straighten out" the shape. As an example --Ping has a driver --It's most recent iteration for slicers being the G 425 SFT. SFT=Straight Flight Technology..

It will compensate for the side spin put on the ball from an outside to in swing path which creates the spin on the ball for a slice off of the tee. Ping also has SFT products in their fairway woods. Products like these make the game more fun but eventually it's always preferable to get lessons and correct your swing path.

Another approach frequently used by instructors for slicers is teaching them how to hit hooks on demand and eventually -through practice and hard work-learn how to adjust your swing path to hit a better ball.

Will be taking my Ping SFT driver out this year for the first time on Wed. for 18.. It allowed me to take the right side of the fairway out of play for most of last year. Try before you buy.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I took lessons last year for the first time in over 25 years. I couldn't hit driver to save my life. No issues with any other clubs including 3-wood which was same brand/model/ shaft. I went almost a full year without even putting the driver in my bag.

I tried a bunch of the training aids with towels and everything else and I could barely even hit the ball. I'm also not a big video guy because I know my swing is jacked up and I don't need a visual to see how bad it is.

Golf pro was great. He had me just take about a dozen swings of clubs of my choice to loosen up and for him to get a feel for my overall swing. We pulled out the big stick and fortunately it was a mess. He watched me take a few swings and gave me two pointers. He put the driver squared up with the ball and had me grip it with my lead arm and told me to make sure my arm is in line from my shoulder through my hands down to the club face. Mission accomplished. I had and wasn't getting the forward press I needed. Secondly I was the classic getting over the top at the top of my swing. We worked that a few times and it started working great. I went back two more times for some touch ups and get the muscle memory right. I also went to the same teacher for work on my wedges and that didn't go as well. I kept my swing for my wedges.

I played Saturday afternoon. First time I had touched my sticks since Christmas-New Year's week. Warmed up on the range and hit a duck hook on #1. Got a friendly bounce off a tree to keep it from going over fence and OB in to the maint shed. After that driver was spot on. Out of the remaining 13 fairways, I hit 8 and 3 others were in the rough with a good line to the green. Really only had one more dud the whole round. Ball was going about 240-255 consistently which is plenty enough for regular men's tees at courses I play.

Reaction Score
Check your hand placement. Probably too open with your lead hand and too closed with your back hand. That can lead to coming way too much over the top. Make sure you can “whip” the club through the zone.

Edit: granted, it could be 100 different things. But hand placement on the club and distance from ball are usually the 2 biggest issues

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I do not know how to golf.

But I do not slice the ball. The way someone taught me was to bring the club head back as if you’re handing it to a baseball catcher behind you.

I just remember that and the ball either goes straight or draws a bit in the other direction.

Reaction Score
I took lessons last year for the first time in over 25 years. I couldn't hit driver to save my life. No issues with any other clubs including 3-wood which was same brand/model/ shaft. I went almost a full year without even putting the driver in my bag.

I tried a bunch of the training aids with towels and everything else and I could barely even hit the ball. I'm also not a big video guy because I know my swing is jacked up and I don't need a visual to see how bad it is.

Golf pro was great. He had me just take about a dozen swings of clubs of my choice to loosen up and for him to get a feel for my overall swing. We pulled out the big stick and fortunately it was a mess. He watched me take a few swings and gave me two pointers. He put the driver squared up with the ball and had me grip it with my lead arm and told me to make sure my arm is in line from my shoulder through my hands down to the club face. Mission accomplished. I had and wasn't getting the forward press I needed. Secondly I was the classic getting over the top at the top of my swing. We worked that a few times and it started working great. I went back two more times for some touch ups and get the muscle memory right. I also went to the same teacher for work on my wedges and that didn't go as well. I kept my swing for my wedges.

I played Saturday afternoon. First time I had touched my sticks since Christmas-New Year's week. Warmed up on the range and hit a duck hook on #1. Got a friendly bounce off a tree to keep it from going over fence and OB in to the maint shed. After that driver was spot on. Out of the remaining 13 fairways, I hit 8 and 3 others were in the rough with a good line to the green. Really only had one more dud the whole round. Ball was going about 240-255 consistently which is plenty enough for regular men's tees at courses I play.
Sounds like a great day's work for the first time out.

As they say.. Only three results possible after you hit a golf shot. Great or Good or Good enough. No place for negativity! LOL

Reaction Score
I do not know how to golf.

But I do not slice the ball. The way someone taught me was to bring the club head back as if you’re handing it to a baseball catcher behind you.

I just remember that and the ball either goes straight or draws a bit in the other direction.
Consider yourself lucky. Keeping it simple definitely has its value in golf.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Slice your left Achilles with an exacto. It will balance you out. You’ll hit shorter , but straight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom