OT: - Fishing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fishing

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I give Tom eight minutes before he gets tired of fly fishing and starts pitching sticks of dynamite into the drink.

Without going into detail ... I'm told you get a greater bang for your entertainment buck using explosives, and a small, open propane tank while ice fishing.

You don't do it for the fish, but it's a beautiful sight, I'm told. And there's a good chance you'd be immortalized as a Darwin Award winner.

Last edited:

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Without going into detail ... I'm told you get a greater bang for your entertainment buck using explosives, and a small, open propane tank while ice fishing.

You don't do it for the fish, but it's a beautiful site, I'm told. And there's a good chance you'd be immortalized as a Darwin Award winner.

I've been fishing that way for years

images

arch

Reaction Score
Just wanted to second Up Country as a resource. Grady (the owner) is always helpful and their classes. are great. Side benefit is the shop is located a couple of miles from the "Boneyard Pool", a very popular fishing spot within the very generous catch and release area of the Farminton River. Up Country's site also provides frequent river condition updates. As mentioned above, lots of second hand, first class rod offerings.
I spent many years fishing a couple hundred yards up-stream from the Boneyard and seldom failed to hook up and no, I wasn't a skilled fisherman.
I'd recommend a three weight outfit. Light enough to offer great feel and heavy enough to reach most spots and not over stress your catch.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Just an update: I spent $2 grand on rod, reel, waders ... everything. Put it in my shed and never used it, not even once.

A few nights ago I was sleep in a lazy-y-boy chair next to an open window. At 3 am I heard someone cough, then sneeze from about 20 feet away. I said God bless you, chuckled, and went back to sleep.

Next day I saw my shed door was open and didn't think much of it.

Today I checked the shed - because that's what you do a few days after you should have known you were being robbed.

Everything is gone.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just an update: I spent $2 grand on rod, reel, waders ... everything. Put it in my shed and never used it, not even once.

A few nights ago I was sleep in a lazy-y-boy chair next to an open window. At 3 am I heard someone cough, then sneeze from about 20 feet away. I said God bless you, chuckled, and went back to sleep.

Today I checked the shed - because that's what you do a few days after you should have known you were being robbed.

Everything is gone.
Did they get the dynamite too?

Sorry to hear it Tom. File a police report. It should be covered by insurance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Everything is gone.
I'd suspect @RichZ , but he's been laid up lately.

Seriously, sorry to hear it. File a police report and ask your insurance agent whether it's worth filing a claim on your homeowner's policy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Look at the bright side, all that gear will now be used by someone, even if it goes through 3-4 fences. And you'll be helping to feed people, both through the ill-gotten profits and the fish being caught!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I'd suspect @RichZ , but he's been laid up lately.

Seriously, sorry to hear it. File a police report and ask your insurance agent whether it's worth filing a claim on your homeowner's policy.

Losing the gear, meh. I just can't get over that someone was robbing my shed, sneezed, and I said god bless you, and went back to sleep. Who doesn't add things up and figure out something is wrong.

I feel like a freakin' moron (no comments needed)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Everything is gone.

Sorry about your stuff, but that's hilarious.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Losing the gear, meh. I just can't get over that someone was robbing my shed, sneezed, and I said god bless you, and went back to sleep. Who doesn't add things up and figure out something is wrong.

I feel like a freakin' moron (no comments needed)
So the thief was just checking things out but when you blessed him he figured you wanted him to have everything.

You do realize that when you blessed him the thief probably thought a bullet was coming next. Probably needed the waders to cover the crap he made in his pants.

Anyways sorry for your loss. Install one of those lights that come on when there is movement. Add a recording that says “Make my day”! Be Kevin in “Home Alone” and add a Tommy Gun sound track for further discouragement.

Reaction Score
You can get overnight delivery of fresh salmon form Seattle. eg, Ivar's.

Also consider, if you fish at night, you got a really good chance of being abducted by a UFO.

Reaction Score
Did they get the dynamite too?

Sorry to hear it Tom. File a police report. It should be covered by insurance.
Make sure your top-of-the-line stuff gets on that list.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I haven't been fishing since just after law school. But this is the idea that tempts me. I finding standing on the edge of a pond to be boring. I'd love to do some ocean fishing, have never really tried that. Might be a little concerned in a kayak in Cape waters.

CL82

Reaction Score
I haven't been fishing since just after law school. But this is the idea that tempts me. I finding standing on the edge of a pond to be boring. I'd love to do some ocean fishing, have never really tried that. Might be a little concerned in a kayak in Cape waters.
I tried an early version of a peddle kayak (probably a Hobie) and it was disappointing. Speed and maneuverability is much better with a paddle. Of course that is tough to do while you are holding a rod.

CL82

Reaction Score
Nice! I'm guessing the mechanics are improved as well. The one that I try the linkage wasn't all that smooth. I like paddling a kayak and am very comfortable maneuvering in tight spots but that rock cove turn was impressive.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I used to go fishing with a neighbor all the time. It pissed me off to no end that we used the same gear, same bait, same everything, but he'd catch far more than I ever did.
You feel the same way when you play poker with your neighbor?

Reaction Score
Ah! A come-to-life fishing thread...cool! Interesting take for some of the kayaks. I myself have an Old Town hybrid kayak/canoe. Got it in Maine new for $1,000 bucks about eight years ago. Perfect for one person, only weighs 53 lbs. with a great seat and plenty of room. I'm 6'4" and I'm quite comfortable. Lots of small lakes in Eastern CT, where I live are 75-100 acres, which is perfect for me. I just prowl the edges throwing weightless Senko's, Texas-rigged, around any trees, stumps, boulders and lily pads. I throw in a few top- water poppers, and will always pick off 5 or 6 bass in 3 hours or so with some nice ones thrown in. Went yesterday morning, on the water @ 4:30, and pop, pop, pop, had 3 nice ones by 5:15. A quick picture and catch-and-release. When I'm out on the water fishing, I'm totally tuned in and think of nothing else. It's damn good for my mental health! Tight lines!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
There are some amazing videos of guys catching everything from kayaks including this one (300 lb Marling that towed him 11 miles down the beach). I can see why your concerned though since the Cape is not known for marlins but rather Great Whites.

Reaction Score
Kayak for fishing are, ok.

I’d much rather be in a self bailing raft like a Sotar or a low side Clacka drift boat.

But I’m not a still water or salt person. My father does have a shallow draft 21’ parker stripped down for fly fishing. Its a great boat to fish out of

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom