OT: - Fishing | The Boneyard

OT: Fishing

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Up until around 25 years ago, I went fishing two or three times a week. I now have the time, and plan to start fishing again.

I'll be fishing in streams and small rivers initially (don't have a boat), so I'll be looking for fly fishing gear.

Any suggestions ?

Reaction Score
Up until around 25 years ago, I went fishing two or three times a week. I now have the time, and plan to start fishing again.

I'll be fishing in streams and small rivers initially (don't have a boat), so I'll be looking for fly fishing gear.

Any suggestions ?

You can get a good starter kit from LL Bean. I tried fly fishing but I find that catching stuff with a night crawler or shiner is easier and up there. Shiners bring bigger fish with ease in lots of places. I caught a few fish on a fly and then I was basically over it. You either love it or find it frustrating. The upside of fly fishing in New England is you can keep your equipment in your car and when you drive by a great looking spot or happen upon a river you've heard is good, you can pull over and go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I give Tom eight minutes before he gets tired of fly fishing and starts pitching sticks of dynamite into the drink.

And then realizes he can go to a fish market and get fished skinned and cleaned for about the same cost of all his gear and licenses.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Try ebay or craigs list (not a huge fan)
There's a lot of guys/gals who fished the fly and have passed away and their kids want nothing to do with the stuff
I'm going to start up again in the next few years once my replaced knee is 100% and that's what a guy at LL Bean and another at Orvis suggested
Another is got to tag sales in the areas where there is a lot of river/stream activity (North West CT) - my brother has had good success in getting all kinds of gear that way

Reaction Score
Try ebay or craigs list (not a huge fan)
There's a lot of guys/gals who fished the fly and have passed away and their kids want nothing to do with the stuff
I'm going to start up again in the next few years once my replaced knee is 100% and that's what a guy at LL Bean and another at Orvis suggested
Another is got to tag sales in the areas where there is a lot of river/stream activity (North West CT) - my brother has had good success in getting all kinds of gear that way

Craiglist....

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with wading, in fact I prefer it. Helps me to stay vertical as long as possible.
I really enjoy i,t one of my better decisions....I'm happy to share. If you need more info PM and I may have a rod if you are interested.

Orvis is another option for rods and reels and a step up from LLB in fly fishing.
I'd go elsewhere for other essentials.

Compleat Angler, down in "far fetched county" Darien, has everything, is another step up and very knowledgeable.
Both companies support/donate % to environmental conservation.

Perhaps the best fly shop in CT is in Litchfield County, UpCountry Sport Fishing on West Branch of the Farmington in New Hartford area.
It's excellent and ditto on conservation.
They carry a wide variety of new and used equipment for all levels and experience and they are very knowledgeable.
West Branch of the Farmington has federal designation (and protection) as "a wild and scenic river." One one of a handful of eastern rivers so designated, and the only one in CT.

Get good waders, which take a beating, buy quality like Simms. It will hurt at check out but soon you won't regret it avoiding hassles from inferior products.

Rods/reels are subjective dictated by looks, feel, function and price. The middle two are most important.
You can do very well in the used market.

In general shorter, lighter, slower/softer for CT small and often bushy streams (approx 7'3/4wt med or full flex).
Larger rivers like Farmy or Housey, longer faster and perhaps with a bit more balls. (9' 4-6wt med fast or fast) depending on the style you fish.
Of course there are specialty rods for drys, indicator or Euro nymphingEuro, streamers. Two handed spey/switch rods have migrated east.

Click & pawl reel is all you need for 95% of CT trout.
Disk drag if you intend to target larger species in the CT river or salt water.
Lots of good fishing in CT and also within a couple of hours by car.

You don't need to spend a ton AND one can easily drop a bundle. ;-)

Trout Unlimited is a great source of information and education as well as an opportunity to do something constructive for the local environment.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Perhaps the best fly shop in CT is in Litchfield County, UpCountry Sport Fishing on West Branch of the Farmington in New Hartford area.
It's excellent and ditto on conservation.
They carry a wide variety of new and used equipment for all levels and experience and they are very knowledgeable.
West Branch of the Farmington has federal designation (and protection) as "a wild and scenic river." One one of a handful of eastern rivers so designated, and the only one in CT.

@temery
Up Country is the one I was telling you about that I couldn't remember the name of. Certainly the best fly fishing shop in reasonable proximity to you.

Reaction Score
Cabela's, great starter kits with everything you need, backing, flyline and tippits, reel and rod. I've done some and definitely can be frustrating and the flys and the tippits are tiny so you need strong glasses. Gave it up and have a small boat with a 10horse merc and a Canoe much easier. Bass fishing will be heating up real soon so I only got for trout on opening day. Nature is so very cool and getting out is good exercise. Watching a bald eagle camped out at Beach pond right now. Big nest and need binoculars.

Reaction Score
I've been fly fishing for 30 years, tie my own flies and have more gear than I know what to do with. It is addicting. I typically fish the Housatonic or the Croton river right over the border in NY. I also like the Farmington, the Shepaug and some others. Connecticut has a lot of great trout streams. They are easy to find if you go to the DEEP website. Look for the Trout Management Areas. They are usually catch and release so you get bigger fish there and not just recently stocked trout.
For gear, don't go crazy buying expensive stuff. It can get nuts. My go to rod is a 9' 5 wt Orvis rod. I use an Orvis Battenkill mid arbor reel. However, St Croix makes excellent fly rods at a great price. My wife has a 9' 5 wt St Croix that feels and casts every bit as good as my Orvis rod. It was about $150. As @Catsailor stated a click and pawl reel is fine for most small stream fishing. My first reel was a Pflueger Medalist that cost about $30. It was a great reel and I still use it. I think you can still find them. A great pair of waders is key. I have a lightweight neoprene chest wader that is great. I layer under it when it is cold, or wear light pants when warm. I think I got them at Cabelas.
For flies, I am a nympher. A lot of fly fisherman like the dry flies that float on the surface but I prefer the weighted nymph patterns fished up and across and dead drifted deep. I like bead head hares ears, prince nymphs, copper johns and some of the other nymph patterns. The bead heads do really well. I sometimes fish a set of two and have great success that way. I fish a bigger, heavier nymph on the tippet and tie a dropper off of that one with a size 16 or 18 smaller flashier one. They are harder to cast without getting fouled up though unless you roll cast all the time or just flip in small streams. Some regulations call only for a single fly so you have to check that depending on where you are fishing.
Good luck and have fun!

Reaction Score

Any suggestions ?
Cabela's or Dick's. Fly rods can be reasonable or they can cost thousands. Depends on your budget. A cheaper option would be a good light tackle spinning reel with 2 or 4 pound test, for the reel, go Penn.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Somewhat related... I haven't fished since 2004 when we opened up our first cafe and I didn't have time for squat. I've got three poles, been in my garage the whole time (along with four sets of golf clubs). I've been thinking about getting back into fishing a bit. There are two light tackles and a fly. Y'all think the rods (and reels) are still in good enough shape to use?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Surprised Tom doesn't stock his pond.

hobbies-leisure-fish-fisher-fisherman-angle-angling-smb091221_low.jpg

Reaction Score
Is tga
Cabela's, great starter kits with everything you need, backing, flyline and tippits, reel and rod. I've done some and definitely can be frustrating and the flys and the tippits are tiny so you need strong glasses. Gave it up and have a small boat with a 10horse merc and a Canoe much easier. Bass fishing will be heating up real soon so I only got for trout on opening day. Nature is so very cool and getting out is good exercise. Watching a bald eagle camped out at Beach pond right now. Big nest and need binoculars.

Is that eagle over near the CT / RI border? Man they stock that pond well. Back in '14, my little brother and his friend both caught 10 lbers - one a rainbow, the other a brown.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Cabela's or Dick's. Fly rods can be reasonable or they can cost thousands. Depends on your budget. A cheaper option would be a good light tackle spinning reel with 2 or 4 pound test, for the reel, go Penn.

I get out now and then. I prefer spin casting to fly fishing. But walking up and down the river and just being out in nature is the best part to me. I think good waders are the most important part of the setup.

Reaction Score
If people say "pole" they are spin fishermen, guys that say "rod" are feather flingers.

Tom happy to be of help, but won't do chapter and verse here (shoot me a pm if you want way too much info). Can give you record on the following:

CT, NY, MA shops
Equipment - Ross, reels, waders, etc.
Rivers/Steams CT, northeast and western US (co, mt, ca, nm)
Guides - (Wertern us, Alaska, NY, FL, Belize and Mexico) I do not use guides in NE unless chasing steel on small streams
Salt water spot for bass, blues and allies in the fly in CT and MA

I literally grew up in the Farmington and had a fly rod in my hand on that river since about 7 yo. It's a great river but was better a better experience when it wasn't so highly touted and there wasn't such a huge tube/kayak/canoe hatch each day.

I've also been fortunate enough to be part of some of the well known fly fishing pro programs and have met great folks through them which is how I know some of these folks.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
And then realizes he can go to a fish market and get fished skinned and cleaned for about the same cost of all his gear and licenses.

I hate fish. Not living fish, I mean fish on a plate. Terrible.

So when I used to fish I went catch and release. The fish I did keep were injuries, and they went straight to the garden.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
But walking up and down the river and just being out in nature is the best part to me.

That's a big part of it. I've spent the last year walking 5+ miles a day along various trails.

But a week or so ago I was watching a show on the Nature Channel about predators. The crazy beasts seemed to be happiest when they were hunting and killing other animals.

So I'm thinkin', I could kill to birds with one stone - hiking and k...

Ah, never mind. I do love being out doors. Even when I went fishing years ago, the "walking up and down the river and just being out in nature" was the best part of it.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If people say "pole" they are spin fishermen, guys that say "rod" are feather flingers.

A pole doesn't have a reel on it. A rod -- spinning, baitcasting or fly -- does.

Reaction Score
A pole doesn't have a reel on it. A rod -- spinning, baitcasting or fly -- does.
I'm pretty sure a Tenkara stick is called a rod. There is no reel in Tenkara - rod, line, fly

Reaction Score
I moved right near the Farmington River a few years ago and took up fly fishing. I got the basic started kit from Orvis and some waders from a LL Bean Outlet. I think I enjoy just standing in the river enjoying nature more than the fishing.

The best think I did was take a guided lesson, Up Country in New Hartford CT. They have a list of guides that will take you out and show you the ropes. I think I actually catch a fish now and then because of this. Orvis also has classes I have been meaning to try but just haven't found the time.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Orvis also has classes I have been meaning to try but just haven't found the time.

Wife and I took Orvis classes back when we had leisure time. I was a poor student. Wife could hit a quarter under a rock from 100' out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom