OT: - Fishing Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fishing Season

Reaction Score
I agree 100%
Catching stocked trout the week of opening day is no sport at all - its bobbing for apples
Getting on a nice deep lake with a large shiner on your gear and watching a huge lake trout take it down and out for endless yards - ain't nothing better
Of course putting on the boots and fly fishing in a great stream is up there too
Notice you didn't mention which lake. I thought we were all brothers. :confused:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Notice you didn't mention which lake. I thought we were all brothers. :confused:
East Twin Lake in Salisbury for brownies and some lakes is the best early in the season

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm lucky to live about 45 minutes from the San Juan River (NM) tailwaters, and was planning to hit it this weekend. But we just got the "lockdown" order from the state of CO, so i guess i'd be violating the law, unless i was crossing the state line to buy groceries.

Reaction Score
I'm lucky to live about 45 minutes from the San Juan River (NM) tailwaters, and was planning to hit it this weekend. But we just got the "lockdown" order from the state of CO, so i guess i'd be violating the law, unless i was crossing the state line to buy groceries.

The San Juan is great and so close to Durango with the Animas, Florida and Pine. All great rivers with a fly rod.

WaterDawg

Lurker Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I’m a saltwater kayak fisherman myself, on a Hobie Revolution. Can’t wait for the water temps to warm up for spring stripers and the opening of fluke season in May.

Reaction Score
Fishing is the preferred social distancing of much of the country. Good luck.

sort of..

1585234780802.png

Reaction Score
I'm living quarantine life on a lake. I fished a fair amount as a kid, but haven't done it much in about 25 years. My fifth cast and first catch here the other day was an 18" lake trout. It swallowed the hook deep and there was a lot of blood. I released it but it still went belly up. Of course, my wife gave me the barbaric speech. I've heard the whole "fish don't feel pain". Is this still the prevailing thought? Can anyone convince me to go back out there?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm living quarantine life on a lake. I fished a fair amount as a kid, but haven't done it much in about 25 years. My fifth cast and first catch here the other day was an 18" lake trout. It swallowed the hook deep and there was a lot of blood. I released it but it still went belly up. Of course, my wife gave me the barbaric speech. I've heard the whole "fish don't feel pain". Is this still the prevailing thought? Can anyone convince me to go back out there?

Yes, go back there. I am sure fish can feel pain. It's okay vegetables feel pain too.
My feeling is do what you can humanely and eat your catch.
Mrs Diesel and I were invited out on a friend's boat yesterday. 30 miles out in Gulf of Mexico. Amberjack season opened on May 1st. All our jack's were too big or too small to keep. No issues releasing them.
The round the year mingo/beeliner/vermilion snapper were biting all day. It's getting divided up between three families and will make a couple of good dinners.

IMG_20200502_190247501~2.jpg

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I did some angling yesterday here in CT. Weather was prefect and all I caught was a sunburn.

My buddy and I got skunked! Only fished for like 3 hours in 2 different spots though. We threw everything out there too - meal worms, night crawlers, power bait, and lures. Nada!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
They are fish. Go catch them. And then tell your wife you are going hunting. lol. My wife wouldn't go hunting, but she will fish.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My buddy from Waterbury caught 18 trout last Saturday(kept two released the rest). He went back to the same spot the next day and didn't get a nibble. He's a good fisherman who fishes close to 100 days a year but he has his good days and bad days like everyone else.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not saying you have a pick-up - good god - Are your fobs giving off fumes today?

Let me put it in terms you might understand.

If someone comes into your house and takes your belonging and nobody sees them is it illegal?

Hint, it's still illegal.

Just by them from a licensed provider - why the hell bother how much can a sunfish or bass cost?

I don’t think it’s illegal in Connecticut to keep a native fish.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s illegal in Connecticut to keep a native fish.

Not sure. Different states have different regs. Regardless if you could, why would you.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure. Different states have different regs. Regardless if you could, why would you.

He said he wanted to put them in a fish tank.

Not sure it was that controversial a use case for a fish - he can always eat it later if he tires of its company.

Reaction Score
My friend stock over 5000 trout last 2 weeks. Personally I don't like catching stocked fish but his story lit a fire in my belly. Wife and I drove by my fishing spots last weekend which poured gas on my fire.

All this to say I'm going out soon also. My fishing buddy is my mentor in his 80s, a professional so to speak. I wonder if we can still go together, should I have him wear a mask in my truck (for his protection)? We don't fish near each other (he would throw a rock at me) so our time together would be essentially in my truck. I have a sunroof and could crack windows.

I am truly uncertain if this is acceptable, or should I solo it?
Let him drive, and tie you on the roof.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I've got a couple quick questions if anyone could answer. I fished a lot a decade ago. Spin casting for trout. I had always used 4lb test and a Palomar knot without ever breaking off. But so far this year I have lost two big fish along with the lures. I bought a more expensive fluorocarbon line (also 4lb.) Should I move up to 6lb. and start using a different knot?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom