OT: - Fishing Season | The Boneyard

OT: Fishing Season

Reaction Score
My friend stock over 5000 trout last 2 weeks. Personally I don't like catching stocked fish but his story lit a fire in my belly. Wife and I drove by my fishing spots last weekend which poured gas on my fire.

All this to say I'm going out soon also. My fishing buddy is my mentor in his 80s, a professional so to speak. I wonder if we can still go together, should I have him wear a mask in my truck (for his protection)? We don't fish near each other (he would throw a rock at me) so our time together would be essentially in my truck. I have a sunroof and could crack windows.

I am truly uncertain if this is acceptable, or should I solo it?

Reaction Score
had no idea.. Sat. morning will wet a line to celebrate.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My friend stock over 5000 trout last 2 weeks. Personally I don't like catching stocked fish but his story lit a fire in my belly. Wife and I drove by my fishing spots last weekend which poured gas on my fire.

All this to say I'm going out soon also. My fishing buddy is my mentor in his 80s, a professional so to speak. I wonder if we can still go together, should I have him wear a mask in my truck (for his protection)? We don't fish near each other (he would throw a rock at me) so our time together would be essentially in my truck. I have a sunroof and could crack windows.

As a statistical matter, unless either of you have had exposure in the last two weeks, no. Of course, you have no way of knowing.

As someone you seem to care about, it sounds like a horrible idea. This is the definition of non-essential contact.

I also don't think a mask would do much. The inside of a car is among the dirtiest places going.

If I were to go. I'd travel separately and keep your distance.

A friend made a very appropriate comment on the subject. Don't isolate to avoid being infected. Assume you are infected and isolate to avoid transmitting to others.

Reaction Score
As long as everybody is in their own boat, finally something we can do during the pandemic!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

I fish all year long. The only thing that's opening early is trout season, because waters not stocked with trout are essentially open all year long. I've taken to fishing alone the last couple weeks, even at my age and diminished physical capacity. But even if I was fishing with a buddy, we wouldn't ride to the ramp together. It's one thing to be 6 to 12 feet apart in the open air. Another thing entirely to be 3 feet apart in the front seat of a vehicle.
Heck, even on the water I avoid getting close enough for conversation.
20200324_111357 (1).jpg

Reaction Score
I fish all year long. The only thing that's opening early is trout season, because waters not stocked with trout are essentially open all year long. I've taken to fishing alone the last couple weeks, even at my age and diminished physical capacity. But even if I was fishing with a buddy, we wouldn't ride to the ramp together. It's one thing to be 6 to 12 feet apart in the open air. Another thing entirely to be 3 feet apart in the front seat of a vehicle.
Heck, even on the water I avoid getting close enough for conversation.
View attachment 52304
Well you shouldn't go with me either, even in separate boats. I often throw big ones back, which you would happily catch later. Those then could be contaminated, know what I mean?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Well you shouldn't go with me either, even in separate boats. I often throw big ones back, which you would happily catch later. Those then could be contaminated, know what I mean?
I don't breath on them. I generally fish barbless so I can shake them off at the boat.<G>

Reaction Score
Would anyone be able to help with catching colorful sunnies for a fish tank? I'll drive to pick up the fish. White perch or smallmouth bass would also be cool.

Reaction Score
Would anyone be able to help with catching colorful sunnies for a fish tank? I'll drive to pick up the fish. White perch or smallmouth bass would also be cool.

Most states it's not legal to do that - it's not the crime of the century, but still in many places illegal.

Moving fish from one water body to another is frowned upon. I know it's just going into your tank, but when the fish is out of the water in the back of a pick-up and alive clearly to be transported someplace. The possum cop will say "WTF is that live fish doing in the water in the back of the truck". They'll either get warned or issued a summons depends on how big of a richard the person wants to be.

How do I know - I coached a lot of guys who are now environmental cops or fisheries biologists.

Reaction Score
Most states it's not legal to do that - it's not the crime of the century, but still in many places illegal.

Moving fish from one water body to another is frowned upon. I know it's just going into your tank, but when the fish is out of the water in the back of a pick-up and alive clearly to be transported someplace. The possum cop will say " is that live fish doing in the water in the back of the truck". They'll either get warned or issued a summons depends on how big of a richard the person wants to be.

How do I know - I coached a lot of guys who are now environmental cops or fisheries biologists.
I don't have a pickup, have an SUV-like car. No one will see it. People can buy native fish online but would prefer something from our waters here.

I treat my fish very well. I can understand it being frowned upon. I do have a giant gourami and it is still a wild animal. But prefer fish as pets than other animals.

Reaction Score
I don't have a pickup, have an SUV-like car. No one will see it. People can buy native fish online but would prefer something from our waters here.

I treat my fish very well. I can understand it being frowned upon. I do have a giant gourami and it is still a wild animal. But prefer fish as pets than other animals.

I'm not saying you have a pick-up - good god - Are your fobs giving off fumes today?

Let me put it in terms you might understand.

If someone comes into your house and takes your belonging and nobody sees them is it illegal?

Hint, it's still illegal.

Even if they left you a note that said "I'm going to put these fobs in a nice case and your TV is going to be right over my fireplace".

The fish are essentially owned by the state acting as stewards for the people. The license and the terms of it as defined by the fisheries rules specify how you can use or take the state's property. What you're doing is probably illegal in CT and as I said previously it's hardly the crime of the century and the chances of getting caught are essentially zero.

I'm more familiar with the environmental conservation laws in NYS and those are arcane and complex. I'm betting CT's laws aren't that different. If I remember correctly its not having them that's the issue, it's the transportation of live fish that is illegal. Certain bait fish are able to be transported and salable fish are able to be transported with a license to do so.

The fact that you said that "you have a giant gourami" and felt it necessary to point out that "it is still a wild animal" has given me the laugh of the day and for that I thank you. We're you expecting to turn it into Shamu?

Just by them from a licensed provider - why the hell bother how much can a sunfish or bass cost?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a Field Stream Dick Sporting goods special, but it does the job has a downrigger on it for trolling

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Every year for opening day I would drive up from Jersey to fish with my brother. I would have multiple poles, worms, salmon eggs, lures out the arse and my brother would appear with a can of corn niblets and his ugly stick. By noon he had caught his limit and I was struggling with my first. Whats with the corn I'd ask? What do you think they feed em growin up? Love you and miss you Bubs.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying you have a pick-up - good god - Are your fobs giving off fumes today?

Let me put it in terms you might understand.

If someone comes into your house and takes your belonging and nobody sees them is it illegal?

Hint, it's still illegal.

Even if they left you a note that said "I'm going to put these fobs in a nice case and your TV is going to be right over my fireplace".

The fish are essentially owned by the state acting as stewards for the people. The license and the terms of it as defined by the fisheries rules specify how you can use or take the state's property. What you're doing is probably illegal in CT and as I said previously it's hardly the crime of the century and the chances of getting caught are essentially zero.

I'm more familiar with the environmental conservation laws in NYS and those are arcane and complex. I'm betting CT's laws aren't that different. If I remember correctly its not having them that's the issue, it's the transportation of live fish that is illegal. Certain bait fish are able to be transported and salable fish are able to be transported with a license to do so.

The fact that you said that "you have a giant gourami" and felt it necessary to point out that "it is still a wild animal" has given me the laugh of the day and for that I thank you. We're you expecting to turn it into Shamu?

Just by them from a licensed provider - why the hell bother how much can a sunfish or bass cost?
You're flipping out. #1, fobs are gone. #2, me pointing out I have a giant gourami was because you mentioned keeping native fish are frowned upon. I was insinuating I can understand since giant gouramis are wild. #3, I only pointed out what kind of car I have calmly. And here you go, taking things to a whole new level. If anything, what the hell you sniffing?

Costs at least 35 for a small young bass shipped. Would prefer some age. I had no idea the freaking government thinks it owns all wildlife now. Please forgive me.

Reaction Score
A bucket with their habitat water would suffice if it's a short distance. I wouldn't go far for fish.

Reaction Score
Every year for opening day I would drive up from Jersey to fish with my brother. I would have multiple poles, worms, salmon eggs, lures out the arse and my brother would appear with a can of corn niblets and his ugly stick. By noon he had caught his limit and I was struggling with my first. Whats with the corn I'd ask? What do you think they feed em growin up? Love you and miss you Bubs.
Corn looks similar to the pellets used as a source of food in their diet at the trout farms. They are too ignorant to distinguish that its bait and that in the wild there are no pellets to feed on. I do hear that corn is always attractive bait throughout their years or until they realize that its not nature's source (e.g. fly's, worm, minnows, etc.). I will say nothing sweeter than catching a Trout on a minnow, it won't be small.

That is primarily why I don't like fishing for stocked trout, it just doesn't seem fair or natural. But that's me.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Corn looks similar to the pellets used as a source of food in their diet at the trout farms. They are too ignorant to distinguish that its bait and that in the wild there are no pellets to feed on. I do hear that corn is always attractive bait throughout the years or until they realize that its not nature's source (e.g. fly's, worm, minnows, etc.). I will say nothing sweeter than catching a Trout on a minnow, it won't be small.

That is primarily why I don't like fishing for stocked trout, it just doesn't seem fair or natural. But that's me.
I agree 100%
Catching stocked trout the week of opening day is no sport at all - its bobbing for apples
Getting on a nice deep lake with a large shiner on your gear and watching a huge lake trout take it down and out for endless yards - ain't nothing better
Of course putting on the boots and fly fishing in a great stream is up there too

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom