First UConn Game Ever Tonight | The Boneyard

First UConn Game Ever Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not usually one for sentimental stuff but tonight I'm sitting down with my 7 month-old son to watch his first UConn game (for about 10 mins before its his bedtime). I need to make sure I get out of work early enough so we can sit down and have a very serious conversation about the joy, heartbreak, and absolute blast it is being a fan of the best basketball program of all time. While he'll never get to see the architect pacing the sidelines, it'll be pretty cool to say his first season was the next great UConn Coach's first season as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Having successfully indoctrinated my two kids, I suggest that you have plenty of snacks on hand. It's like training a dog. You them to associate UConn with something pleasurable. At that age it is eating or pooing. Teach him a cheer even if it's only throwing up his hands while you spell out UConn. Be sure to talk it up ahead of time and when he gets bored let him do whatever else he wants to do in the room while you watch. Most importantly when needs to changed, remind him that you care with this key phrase "Honey, the baby needs to be changed." Repeat it loudly until he's got a fresh diaper.

Reaction Score
In 2004, my daughters (ages 13 and 11) and I settled in to watch Uconn vs. Duke in the first game of the Final Four. I told them that if they created some pro-UConn signage-type stuff it would increase the Mojo. Behold the result. I have no doubt this is why we won that game (well, plus we had Emeka Okafor.)
mojo.JPG

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Not usually one for sentimental stuff but tonight I'm sitting down with my 7 month-old son to watch his first UConn game (for about 10 mins before its his bedtime). I need to make sure I get out of work early enough so we can sit down and have a very serious conversation about the joy, heartbreak, and absolute blast it is being a fan of the best basketball program of all time. While he'll never get to see the architect pacing the sidelines, it'll be pretty cool to say his first season was the next great UConn Coach's first season as well.

That's awesome man.

Hopefully your son will see his new favorite team provide him with so many glorious moments, like multiple national championships to enjoy, just like the prior generation was so blessed with.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

It's a shame he won't be old enough to remember seeing Jim Calhoun, or the first five national championships in our history.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nothing like parents who know how to guide their kids the right way. Have him repeat after you: In 20 minutes, Hilton Armstrong, Wings and Rolling Rock.........

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Forgo bedtime stories in favor of haikus.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Please god, may your kid turn out to be 7'0" and run the floor like a gazelle.
Somebody on this board is bound to have a son with D1 size and talent eventually right?

I hope it's me.

Reaction Score
Will it be the first time he experiences a thimble full of Rolling Rock and a chicken wing?

What is this chicken wing you speak of? I only know buffalo wings!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

That's really awesome. I'm 26 and still send messages with my old man during every single UConn football and basketball game.

Reaction Score
I can see the 'pooing' part. How many of you have shet your shorts over an unbelievable play???

Reaction Score

Great times and they go by fast so enjoy.........the son I enjoyed NC's at the age of 4, 9 and 15 is now 17 and a Sr hoops player in HS.......and watching the game with him now is not as much as when he knew very little and didn't talk much......(LOL).......now he knows everything, more than the players and the refs!!! No it's still a treat to have him around sitting with dad........but I hope you enjoyed his 1st!!!

Reaction Score
thanks everyone for the comments and advice (haha). he only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was still cool nonetheless!

its going to be a fun year with this team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
thanks everyone for the comments and advice (haha). he only lasted about 10 minutes, but it was still cool nonetheless!

its going to be a fun year with this team.
Stay at it. He'll be sucked into HuskyNation before you know it. I enjoy watching the games with my kids and taking him to the first one will be a great experience for both of you. Establish a line of credit at the food service areas - it's easier.

In a few years, consider signing him up for the junior husky club. The kids get a shirt, plus a few other things like player pictures. You also get discounted tickets and other special kid events. My kids enjoyed getting the package in the mail. It's just another way to get them exited about UConn.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I remember my first game, 1993 vs. Yale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom