First Three Conference Games | The Boneyard

First Three Conference Games

Reaction Score
People want to talk about a path to the tournament for this team. While I think it unlikely we get an at large bid as of today, the path for me starts with these first 3 conference games. @USF, and then home to UCF and SMU. This team is fragile as we have seen for the last 2 years, and then in spurts this year. It was so evident in the 2nd half against Nova. This team needs to get off to a fast start to have any chance. They need to build some confidence. And they need to defend their home court. Think about how much different people would feel if we had beaten Arizona at home.

As a matter of fact, it took me by surprise to see that UConn has not started 3-0 in conference play SINCE the 2003-2004 championship season.

Lets start with @USF. First true road game of the season, but at least it shouldn't be in a hostile environment. There may even be a good handful of UConn fans there. USF is much improved this year with a record of 9-2, with a home game against Fairleigh Dickinson tomorrow. They have certainly been better than expected, including an OT loss to Georgetown on a neutral court where they led by 3 in the waning seconds. They actually are ranked #90th in the NET, two spots above us. #171 in KenPom. That being said, their OOC schedule is ranked 350 out of 352 teams. Outside of Georgetown who isn't great this year anyway, they have played NO ONE. I know we have played our share of cupcakes as well, but consider out SOS is 196. I expect this game to be closer than we want because of our layoff, but I think the lack of competition will hurt USF, and we walk away with a much needed win to start conference play. With the way the NET works, beating a Top 100 team on the road will help the profile.

Next is UCF. Picked to win the league. Currently #46 in the NET, #40 in the KenPom. Another team that didn't play a great OOC schedule (ranked 282 in the country) and has a bad loss at home to Florida Atlantic on their resume. Aubrey Dawkins has played better lately, but they again like to grind you out and make you beat their half court defense. If we can get the game to speed up a bit, it takes Taco Fall out of the game. He is only averaging 23 minutes a game this year. This game is a toss up, but these are the types of games at home we have to win in our league this year to make a run. We have had success against UCF, even the last two years when we have struggled. I hope this continues.

Finally, SMU at home. #130 in the NET. #83 in KenPom. Hard team to figure out. They went 8-4 OOC, while playing another weak OOC schedule (#320). But their best player, Jarrey Foster, missed a good chunk of time recovering from an ACL injury, and they have looked better since his return, including a road win at Georgetown. They have a very balanced attack, and have a good big in Ethan Chargois. Again, a team you have to beat at home to have any chance.

Reaction Score
Yeah these are critical games for sure. Would love to get a good start to conference play. I'm sure Hurley knows how important this is going to be for our post-season outlook.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
3-0 or season is over as far as even a faint tourney bubble sniff. (forget conference tourney, LOL we arent beating Houston and Cinci in that back to back and we will probably have to to win it)

Just as likely we go 0-3 as 3-0.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't disagree with anything anyone said, but let's be honest - After the mess Ollie left in his wake, did ANYONE really think that in his first year as HC...
  1. with no players he recruited...
  2. implementing not only new offense and defense, but a new philosophy for the team...
  3. working with guys who were taught the kind of offense/defense that Hurley runs...
Did anyone really think we'd be a NCAA team this season? I figured NIT, and even that was not guaranteed. Was hoping we'd end the season with about 16-17 wins.

I get that it would be disappointing to lose 1 or more of our 1st 3 conference games, but the fact that we are even discussing sniffing an at large bid feels like a big win to me. We are 9-4 with beatdowns from Iowa and Villanova, but the Arizona and FSU games were close. We are beating the teams we are supposed to beat, unlike the past several seasons.

I'm hopeful and optimistic, but also realistic in that the NCAA may not be in the cards this season, and if we don't make it there, I'm ok with that (disappointed of course, but ok with it)...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
To be honest if we lose at USF we don’t deserve to get an at-large bid. USF is a game we should win. I don’t care if it’s at home, on the road, or on the moon.

At home vs. UCF - we’ll get a good crowd at XL and it’ll be rocking. I think this is a very winnable game.

SMU could be a trap game.

Reaction Score
Remember the name Alexis Yetna on USF. Putnam Science kid who is going to be a force on the boards from them over the next four years. Already had a handful of double doubles this year. I’m honestly worried about his rebounding abilities vs us for the game next week.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Remember the name Alexis Yetna on USF. Putnam Science kid who is going to be a force on the boards from them over the next four years. Already had a handful of double doubles this year. I’m honestly worried about his rebounding abilities vs us for the game next week.
USF is actually pretty good this year. By no means is this going to be an easy win for us.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Don't disagree with anything anyone said, but let's be honest - After the mess Ollie left in his wake, did ANYONE really think that in his first year as HC..
Did anyone really think we'd be a NCAA team this season? I figured NIT, and even that was not guaranteed. Was hoping we'd end the season with about 16-17 wins.

You completely underestimate the capacity of this board for grand delusion.

Reaction Score
After seeing us against decent competition the same things are apparent as they were last year at this time, we lack talent and skill. Against lesser competition it is often hidden.

C

Chief00

USF is actually pretty good this year. By no means is this going to be an easy win for us.

Outside of the already played cupcakes all games we need to play our best to win.

Reaction Score
It would be sad for us to go 0-3, losing to USF after we have like 15 days of rest, then losing back to back home games. Only way I see it is with continues sloppy play, terrible shot selections and bad turnovers. Keep the ball, play good D and we should be fine.

Reaction Score
After seeing us against decent competition the same things are apparent as they were last year at this time, we lack talent and skill. Against lesser competition it is often hidden.
And one of the knocks on Ollie was that he never was able to develop his teams where they improve over the course of the season. Lets see what this staff can do. There is a lot of basketball left to be played. I would say they are capable of going 3-0 in our first few conference games, but I think the Villanova game absolutely set our expectations back a little. Our next two games after that is at Cincinatti and at Tulsa, so that will be a good test of where we are at. We probably have already played the toughest teams we will face all season though. I want to see this team improve over the next two months and I still think a 11-7 conference record is a reasonable expectation.

Reaction Score
Outside of the already played cupcakes all games we need to play our best to win.
Agreed. Hurley has managed to get them playing better, but there is a limit to what can be done with limited talent. I’d much prefer to see Jalen sit and start moving towards better distribution and more team play. There are a few guys who will step up a level without the JA pacifier on the floor over penetrating and turning the ball over or taking crap shots at the top of the key with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
USF looks absolutely terrible so far vs. Fairly Ridiculous. Less than 10 minutes to go and they're trailing at home.

Reaction Score
Don’t forget the FSU game. Close game against a top 10 team. Should’ve been closer, and I thought we could’ve won. Needless to say, we know we can compete with every team in this conference. After watching the USF game today I feel very confident we will win that. As we go further into the season as long as we play cleaner basketball, not committing tons of turnovers, we have a good shot at winning it.

Reaction Score
Really worried about this 10 day holiday break. I hate not having a game between Christmas and New Year's.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
USF lost to The Citadel at home... the god damn Citadel. Not just Citadel, it’s THE Citadel.

Reaction Score
0-5 start to conference play is legitimately possible omg

Reaction Score
0-5 start to conference play is legitimately possible omg

Very likely to lose 6 straight after ECU game in February. Well, we'll probably steal 1, maybe 2.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom