First Things First | The Boneyard

First Things First

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I believe Kevin Ollie is a good coach and of course he can improve as we all can. He has become upset to where he's a little "at wits end" in appearance to this viewer. Here's some points I'd like to make as an observer:

1. First and foremost, when I see the coach on the bench, my wife and I see "whiney face". Im so sorry I have to say it, really. Look in the mirror KO and work on it, your a great guy, great teamate and care a bunch. Uconn is blessed to have you. Show them why. Many players have developed the same "face". Attitude is everything to a team.

2. Bench em even if the walk-ons need to play when they are playing without full effort. I MEAN IT. Other guys are itching to play. You'll see, people will step up. Comunicate with other coaches. It works for Geno, he's successful in what he does. Why not get his take, it couldnt hurt. How does he deal with "attutude"?

3. Teach the post, with a "post players coach", please, please, please, oh please. YoU are Anemic when it comes to passing into the post. To Enoch especially. Teach Facey how to move the ball with his hands to avoid a block. Hes good, just needs coaching. He has serious natural ability. There is a WELL of offense not being tapped.... Allow the other teams to get their BIG MEN IN FOUL TROUBLE.

4. Four or five guys on the offensive end are looking at a long jump shot going up, like its an airplane, UFO or something, standing in this huge semi-circle. We are taught better than that in jr high. Sorry for being rude. Ive seen it so much, its very dissapointing. Tell em to go to the hoop when it goes up, look for a man to box out...do something. It looks bad for sure. Maybe they watch too much tv or something...

5. Miller is jogging down court so often. Ive seen many shots go up and hes nowhere near half court. And its not like it was a fast break shot attempt either. You see the film.

5. Understand that there are other people watching film and seeing Hamliton spin, Gibbs always go left on the right side, Miller never turning baseline to the hoop, Rodney.....and much more. Enlarge their "game" for them. Other coaches are finding ways to stop what they see on film.

6. Always remember, they are still young.

7. EVERYBODY KEEP YOUR HANDS UP. Gee whiz.

8. Jalen, you will not dominate here like in high school. Attack smartley, and stop whining and wagging your head, its time to be a man. Sorry dude, i was there once myself as a player. It never, EVER helps you or the team. Tough love.

9. For whom it may concern; Its not about YOU psuedo-teamate. You know who you are. You probably think this blog is about you, dont you....

10. There are good things, but its not the topic for today.

Reaction Score
1) Agree not a fan of the consistency of the whiny face. Needs to have less whine and more anger in it.
2) I'm all in here too. No way DHam stays in that game when he didn't give up his body and dive.
3) Overrated, we have crappy post players. Better yet, recruit guys who understand the post and then anyone can teach them to be better. You don't need a post coach for AB and KF you need a magician.
4) Bingo, finally Omar did it once and guess what, a put back. Amazing huh? No one goes to the boards, disappointing.
5) Miller is not our problem.
5b) So does the other team and we can't stop them. 2 lefties last night went left all night, baseline etc - just guard them. Just score the ball.
6) They aren't, 2 of their best are 5th yr seniors and DHam has played 2,000 games in his life and Rodney is basically a senior. Next year they may be young, this year in basketball terms they are not.
7) They deflect very few passes, this is a good point also.
8) He's a passionate kid, he is young and it will take time. But we do need him now. Not his fault he didn't get the minutes he deserved last night.
9) Ok
10) Agree, not a good day

Good post

Reaction Score
3. We don't really have a post player with AB out, and we were sketchy inside even when we had him. We just have to survive this stretch and it's gonna be tough.

Reaction Score
3. Enoch is presenting himself well many times and is avoided. Given some passes he will will surprise many people.

Reaction Score
I dont really agree with calling this team young, but at the same time I think they play like a young team. Does that make any sense? Like mauconnfan just pointed out, the core of this team is two 5th year Seniors, Purvis who is a Jr but is spending his 4th season in a Division 1 program, Brimah who is a Jr and played on a National Championship team, and Hamilton, who is arguably our most talented player as a Sophomore.

One huge difference compared to other great UConn teams of the past ( 95, 96, 99, 04, 06, 09, 14) is that they developed a chemistry already from the core group of guys playing together in years leading up to that. This current team is a veteran team but they have only played 16 actual games with each other including the two exhibitions. Theh simply have not had a chance to "gel". This could be a reason for why the results have been so inconsistent so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom