First Snub: Nick Johnson over Shabazz | The Boneyard

First Snub: Nick Johnson over Shabazz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...-parker?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Decourcy has Nick Johnson on First Team and Shabazz second.

Decourcy hasn't watched Napier play much all season, a fact he admitted to a couple weeks ago when another reporter called him out (forgot who it was, may have been Dauster). Decourcy didn't have Napier on his 10 player long Wooden List until just recently, so this is an upgrade for Napier in Decourcy's eyes. If this were mid February, Napier doesn't make Decourcy's 2nd team.

Nnocu

Poplar Poster
Reaction Score
Meh. I've never liked Nick Johnson. I've heard he is terrible person, too. But good for him.

Reaction Score
Dammit. Sporting News' team is one of the four teams used to determine Consensus All Americans, so this snub sucks. But like it's been said, DeCourcy has ignored Bazz for most of the year, so I don't think we'll see the same result with the other 3 teams- AP, NABC, & USBWA.

Reaction Score
I think Bazz should be a first teamer but I don't think it's a big snub if he is not named first team. This is not D Ham being left off the McD roster. There are a lot of really good players who I haven't heard being mentioned in the race for 1st team.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Bazz is 2nd team at best, in my opinion.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
No one can fault you for being consistent. Consistently negative, but at least you're consistent.
Well to defend my position, I think a 1st team All-American should be on a top team.

Reaction Score
Don't know when the voting is over but maybe a big conference tourney and NCAA puts him on first team. It's time for him to stop deferring and basically try to take over these games from the opening bell. Lately I have seen very little mid range driving and pulling up shooting from him and that would also help open the perimeter for others. Time to be selfish.

Reaction Score
I wish they gave these awards out after the postseason. I still can't believe Kemba didn't win NPOY in 2011 after one of the best seasons ever. Shabazz is deserving of the 1st team but there are a lot of other players that can make a case. Nick Johnson is the best player on the #4 team in the country.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
So, no Doug McDermott either? No Jimmer Fredette? No Kemba Walker? No Jameer Nelson? No Blake Griffin? No Kevin Durant? No David West?

You just eliminated 7 of the top candidates for POY in the last 10 years.
Let me explain. By top team, essentially I meant a team that sat comfortably in the Top 25 all year long. Now, McDermott's is an exception, but they have been firm in the polls since early Feb. But McDermott is an exception because he was an AA last year and arguably is having a better season. Kemba was an exception because he was so great and put up ridiculous numbers the entire season.

Regardless, my 1st team AA would be: McDermott, Melvin Ejim, Russ Smith, Sean Kirkpatrick, and Jabari Parker. Napier would be second team. I would take Kirkpatrick and Smith because UL and Cincy have been more successful than UConn this season.

Reaction Score
Let me explain. By top team, essentially I meant a team that sat comfortably in the Top 25 all year long. Now, McDermott's is an exception, but they have been firm in the polls since early Feb. But McDermott is an exception because he was an AA last year and arguably is having a better season. Kemba was an exception because he was so great and put up ridiculous numbers the entire season.

Regardless, my 1st team AA would be: McDermott, Melvin Ejim, Russ Smith, Sean Kirkpatrick, and Jabari Parker. Napier would be second team. I would take Kirkpatrick and Smith because UL and Cincy have been more successful than UConn this season.

Maybe if Cincy had scheduled an OOC worth a damn, they would have been less successful. Kirkpatrick shot 4 for 16 with 7 turnovers against UConn.

Reaction Score
Well to defend my position, I think a 1st team All-American should be on a top team.
You said he was 2nd team at best, you cannot name 10 better players then Bazz. You just cannot. But I understand complimenting this team or a member of it would be very very difficult for you.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Just like polls, it probably is about timing. Everyone was all abuzz about Kirkpatrick this week because he saved Cincinnati late against Rutgers. What they conveniently ignore is that they needed saving against Rutgers.
The last game of the season is a bad time for your worst day, like Napier had.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's not going to be first team - Louisville and Cincy are over UConn in the standings and that will push Kilpatrick and Smith ahead of Napier.

That said, Nick Johnson?!

Napier outscores him, outrebounds him, doubles his assists and is significantly better from 3FG and the FT line.

PS - Bryce Cotton better get some mentions - his numbers are terrific.

Reaction Score
Johnson over Bazz makes no sense. TJ Warren may have a case but I would still take Shabazz because we are a ranked team and anyone who watches college hoops knows we would probably be below 500 without Napier

Reaction Score
I agree with Bazz over Johnson, but also over Russ Smith. Smith scored three points and Louisville was able to win by 30. How often would UConn and Cincinnati win with Bazz and Kilpatrick scoring three points? Never?

Reaction Score

Why? It's for All American PLAYERS, not teams. Teams have other awards they win, like championships, etc. The best player in the world is still the best player in the world if he/she is on a bad team.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Why? It's for All American PLAYERS, not teams. Teams have other awards they win, like championships, etc. The best player in the world is still the best player in the world if he/she is on a bad team.
I agree its on the players, but that's like saying Antoine Mason, Patrick Miller, Shawn Glover, Bryce Cotton, and Doug McDermott should be 1st team AA because their stats are the best.

Reaction Score
No exceptions!!! This guy is a Wuss.

Let's Hang HIM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members