• Jalen Adams

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Omar Calhoun

Votes: 5 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Its going to be DHam or Sterling. Sterling has proven himself as a highly efficient shooter, and he did it with very high usage, on a team with low talent, playing against very good competition. DHam showed an ability to get to his spot that I never see with freshman. His shot selection will improve, and he front rimmed and rimmed out even more shots that looked good than I can remember. With a more balanced offense, I expect him to shoot over 43% from the field.

If @Fishy and others are right and that Rodney takes a leap to becoming our leading scorer, we will be a monster this year. After watching Jalen in HS, I think he could be the best 6th man in the country. Can't this season begin now?

Beat Navy.

Reaction Score
Based on previous KO teams it will be whoever is handling the ball

Reaction Score
Based on previous KO teams it will be whoever is handling the ball

Your statement is based on historical precedent, and I obviously agree to a point based upon my earlier post, but I really think we are going to see a great distribution of points this year. There will be upwards of 4 players on the 4 with good passing ability and we will have at least 2 plus shooters on the floor ready for kick outs, I really expect to see a developed offense and if we don't, it will either be on KO, or chemistry.

Reaction Score
Your statement is based on historical precedent, and I obviously agree to a point based upon my earlier post, but I really think we are going to see a great distribution of points this year. There will be upwards of 4 players on the 4 with good passing ability and we will have at least 2 plus shooters on the floor ready for kick outs, I really expect to see a developed offense and if we don't, it will either be on KO, or chemistry.
Makes sense, but both could happen. The offense could be more rounded and the primary scorer could be the ball handler. Maybe that's what you mean when you agree to a point.

Reaction Score
Makes sense, but both could happen. The offense could be more rounded and the primary scorer could be the ball handler. Maybe that's what you mean when you agree to a point.

Well, my previous post to yours suggested that Gibbs or Hamilton will be the leading the scorer. And I expect them to be the primary facilitators. Thats why I agree to a point. But I expect a balanced offense. I think we agree.

Reaction Score
The way our roster is composed for the 2015-2016 season is eerily similar to our Final Four squad in 2009. And, like that team, I believe this year's team is so versatile and talented that we don't need a "go-to scorer" like we've grown accustomed to over the past handful of years. We have so many weapons and so much depth that we can really hurt teams in a number of different ways.

Continuing with the 2009-2016 comparison:
MmaLtJR.png

Some of those comparisons aren't perfect matches - namely Stix and DHam - but in terms of player archetypes, there are a lot of similarities here.

On that 2009 team, our top four scorers were separated by just 1.5 points per game. That team didn't have a "first scoring option" as much as they used their depth of talent to exploit mismatches. I foresee much of the same for our 2016 squad.

caw

Reaction Score
The way our roster is composed for the 2015-2016 season is eerily similar to our Final Four squad in 2009. And, like that team, I believe this year's team is so versatile and talented that we don't need a "go-to scorer" like we've grown accustomed to over the past handful of years. We have so many weapons and so much depth that we can really hurt teams in a number of different ways.

MmaLtJR.png

Some of those comparisons aren't perfect matches - namely Stix and DHam - but in terms of player archetypes, there are a lot of similarities here.

On that 2009 team, our top four scorers were separated by just 1.5 points per game. That team didn't have a "first scoring option" as much as they used their depth of talent to exploit mismatches. I foresee much of the same for our 2016 squad.

I agree, they are very similarly built teams even by age.

Fifth year PG who can shoot.
Fourth year SG who is better on the break and slashing.
Fifth year/Senior PF who is a good rebounder and defender.
Junior shot blocking center with limited post game.
Freshman superstar PG

Even the 7-11 positions are similar.
Calhoun is a better Harrelson
Cassell is a not as good (maybe he will prove me wrong) Austrie
Nolan is probably a worse Edwards offensively but may be slightly better defensively
Enoch will likely be a better player than Okuandu was in '09

Also the practice only players:
Larrier > Mandeldove (even if he played, I don't count him as anything above practice fodder)
Nothing > Miles (obviously Miles was a better player than Nothing but he was a distraction, so he loses).

Robinson/Hamilton is probably the worst comparison between the two rosters but they are both 3/4 hybrids who can shoot some and rebound well. Robinson was more of a finisher (duh) and Hamilton a better dribbler/distributor (duh) but they aren't completely incomparable.

The biggest difference is that Robinson and Dyson did not play many games together, whereas we are hopeful this team is intact the entire season.

I think the starting 5 could all be above 10 per game but I doubt anyone is above 15. Adams would have a great year to be at 8 per game. Calhoun I'd guess gets about 6.

Reaction Score
DHam with Gibbs and Purvis as options 2 and 3, or 3 and 2. I hope Miller gets plenty of touches as well.

Reaction Score
MmaLtJR.png

The player to player comparison is a good one and the similarities, if not perfect, are obvious. However, the one major difference is that the 2009 team, with the exception of Kemba, played together for a number of years. This years team has 2 completely new pieces in Miller and Gibbs and DH and RP have only had a single season playing together with the veterans. Teamwork and chemistry is the one outstanding element that we don't know about. If we get that chemistry, we will be really good. If we don't, well lets not go there. KO's challenge is to ensure that team chemistry is in place and everybody buys into it 100%.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nothing but smiles. I look at this and I can do nothing buy smile. :):):):)

Legit scorers 6-7 deep (counting Brimah's dunks and ally oops). Every position on the court has a scorer and there is depth. This team is going to be so hard to defend.

Reaction Score
While there's no way he'll be the "first option", I can easily see games where Shonn Miller is the leading scorer. With so many offensive weapons the scoring will be spread pretty evenly. If Miller can get open when the defense collapses on Brimah, and his rebounding should net him a few putbacks; I can see games with 4 or 5 guys in the 9 - 12pt range and Shonn leading the way with 13 or 14.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

MmaLtJR.png

2009's team was a lot like our other great teams -- they could get out and run, and in the half-court they were all competent with the ball in their hands and could make the good pass that put one of their teammates in a great position to score. The 2009 team blew out the #1 overall seed in the NCAAs Louisville in their own building without making a 3. That speaks to how balanced they were offensively.

Stylistically, we match up with 2009 well. I will say that Brimah is miles behind where Thabeet was as a Junior; even if he takes a leap and can stay on the court, he's not as good defensively, and not even close on the offensive end. If this team can gel, the rest of the pieces have the talent to be as good as their counterparts in 2009 (or better). Of course, that 2009 team when healthy was at worst the 2nd best team in the country, so we don't have to be that good for this year to be successful.

Reaction Score
MmaLtJR.png

A very interesting comp... I think the 2009 group though is superior at every spot except SF. Jury is still out on the Kemba/Jalen comp. And, the 09 team was a veteran group that had played together, as starters, for three years. The 16 group is kind of a hodge/podge of transfers, a soph, and a guy who is still very raw.

It will be interesting to see how Amida improves. HT was a beast his junior year and while not a great low post guy, he was good enough to catch and finish consistently. People forget that he was 13.6/10.8/4.2 on a really balanced team. Not sure Amida gets close to the pts/reb numbers.

Reaction Score

MmaLtJR.png

I started a whole thread on this back in early June and while some people agreed with me, some people crushed me saying that the 2009 team was night and day better, etc. But this is the exact point I was making - the structure of the teams are extremely similar.

Reaction Score
DHam is a potent weapon for us. He takes it inside the arc and either dishes for a dunk, or takes the shot himself.
Always keeping the opponents D guessing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A very interesting comp... I think the 2009 group though is superior at every spot except SF. Jury is still out on the Kemba/Jalen comp. And, the 09 team was a veteran group that had played together, as starters, for three years. The 16 group is kind of a hodge/podge of transfers, a soph, and a guy who is still very raw.

It will be interesting to see how Amida improves. HT was a beast his junior year and while not a great low post guy, he was good enough to catch and finish consistently. People forget that he was 13.6/10.8/4.2 on a really balanced team. Not sure Amida gets close to the pts/reb numbers.

Thabeet was certainly better than Brimah projects to be. But I think it's reasonable to consider Gibbs and Price about a wash. I think DHam is better than Stanley, and that it would take very little for Purvis to be better than Dyson (if he plays as he did to close out last year he will be). Miller vs. Adrien unknown...really can't project that, but I'd lean to Adrien.

It doesn't matter really. On paper I think this team is potentially dynamite.

Reaction Score
I think we are going to see a ton of DHam posted at foul line. Either one dribble drive, 15 foot step back, or drive/lob to Brimah.

If he takes a step forward as he did later in the year with his ball-handling/strength, he could average Caron-type numbers: 18pts, 6 reb, 6 assists, 2 st

Reaction Score
Gibbs is the best scorer we have, and he's going to have the ball in his hands more than anyone. He's a great shooter, and he can create his own shot. I'd be very surprised if he weren't the leading scorer.

Reaction Score
Only 3 votes for Omar is a little shocking, he's going to average over 20 ppg this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom