First post...questions about Geno and the Olympics | The Boneyard

First post...questions about Geno and the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
This is my first post. I am a middle school boys basketball coach in Ohio. I am struck by the purity of UConn women's basketball, the relationship between Geno and CD, Geno's sense of humor and the brilliance of his coaching.

Now my questions for what I perceive as a very knowledgable board.

How does Geno share the workload of the Olympics and UConn? Does his staff take care of UConn? I know he has separate assistants for the Olympics. Will his staff go with him to Brazil? Was there any noticeable difference in Geno, the other times he coached the USA?

Thanks

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know Chris Daily, the Associate Head Coach, was unofficially attached to the staff at the London Olympics.

920x920.jpg

Reaction Score
I am struck by the purity of UConn women's basketball, the relationship between Geno and CD, Geno's sense of humor and the brilliance of his coaching.
Welcome and you sure got that right!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Welcome - you know that Geno is happy to have coaches attend practices - he likes to pass on his knowledge, so if you ever are in the area during the basketball year, you can contact the athletic department and see if you can mesh your schedule. You are obviously a very perceptive person both about the uconn coaching staff and about the qualities exhibited by the posters on this forum!!! :cool:

To your questions:
The college schedule has a lot of gaps in contact periods, so there is not that much overlap of commitments. Because of the USA commitments, they have over the last 7+ years condensed some of the recruiting activity into periods where Geno is available - pushing for recruits to visit earlier or later, scheduling home visits, and viewing around the USA activities. The USA gig carries a certain cachet and exposure (as if Geno needed that!) so there is probably a pretty even balance between pluses and minuses - nothing like saying to a recruit 'I really am sorry I can't watch your AAU performance, but maybe you can catch some of the Olympic team game that evening and watch me instead!'

The staff has been given the option of being involved in various aspects of the National Team trials, practices, and competitions and have generally jumped at the chances. CD and Jen (Hartford HC and a former Uconn great) have both functioned as court coaches and advanced scouts and Shea and Marisa have done court coaching and leg work as well. It is I think seen as a great privilege by all of them to be involved and it is a benefit to the USA team. Not sure of what beyond expenses are involved in terms of compensation, but all expenses paid trips to the Olympics or WCs can't be bad! I suspect that they will all be in Rio, but would not be surprised if either Shea or Marisa or both remained in the USA depending on specific schedules and responsibilities regarding the Uconn program.

Because the players for the NT have such limited availability, the scheduling of NT duties is much less burdensome than it was pre professional options. Tara took a year off from Stanford for her gig, because that team was formed and training for 12 months prior to the games - they played 30 or something exhibitions and friendlies during that year. But there was no WNBA and very few US players played overseas in 1995-6.

Reaction Score
Actually it's as easy Geno asking CD to remind all the former UConn greats on the NT what's expected. Then they tell the team members. Then they win gold again.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Thanks ucMiami to your responses to both of my posts. I would absolutely love to watch a Geno practice. I appreciate your insight to the personnel and the staff issues.

Reaction Score
I know Chris Daily, the Associate Head Coach, was unofficially attached to the staff at the London Olympics.

920x920.jpg
# 6 : "CD, I'm telling you it was all Dee's idea. I told her I didn't want a tattoo ! But she dragged in me in there !! And that big kid with the purple hair who's always dancing said you said that tats were allowed now-a-days. "

# 12 : "That's not true Chris ! I only mentioned it cuz Becca said one of her kids wanted one. Once we got there I told Sue no. That we'd get in trouble. And that's why we didn't do it."

CD thinking : "They're in their 30s for heaven's sake ! Does it ever end ?"

Reaction Score
I'd prefer to think it was about basketball than about tats. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom