First Night will be October 18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

First Night will be October 18

Reaction Score
I miss those blue white scrimmages of midnight madness.

But I enjoyed watching the players being announced and hearing their fellow students cheer them.

There’s a kindred spirit between the men’s and women’s players and coaches. It’s hokey and a waste for many of us but this is about students having a fun experience. These are potential future supporters of basketball. Besides AK takes the 3 pt shooting contest very seriously. He was bummed that Ross/Zeibell won.

Rather than complain just stop watching. If the students stop going they’ll either change the format or eliminate First Night. My hope is the kids have a lot of fun at these events.
the days of competitive scrimmages at these things are long done. should have more skills challenges with m paired with w.

Reaction Score
Regarding these first night thingies... They are different everywhere, and are changed every once in awhile based on coach's decisions, etc.

For example, I was at St. Mary's "Blue & White" scrimmage a few days ago, and they played two 16-minute halves, three refs, very close to all-out. Score was kept, but reset at the half. Quite entertaining...

Back in the 80's/90's, I was lucky enough to latch onto the Jason Kidd train, saw him play some 70 times in high school, maybe 10 more at Cal. The reason I bring this up was the Midnight Madness events they would have. Both Jason years, they started full-speed (Jason's ONLY speed!) But after Jason took a hard charge about 10 minutes in, bodies falling everywhere, a time out was QUICKLY called and they took it pretty easy the rest of the way.

Enough Jason stories; I could fill this place up if I didn't stop myself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore
Top Bottom