First Night Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

First Night Thread

Reaction Score
I was there last night. As a 60 year old fart, I thought the music sucked and could not wait for it to end. I also miss the days when they played a semi serious 5 on 5 game. I cringe when I watch the dunk contest hoping no one gets hurt.

However, I go every year to see the freshman and to hear the squeaking sneakers on the Gampel floor just to get the juices flowing.

I am super excited for this season to begin.

Agree the music blaring is plain awful as well as the choices but it's not for us anymore. The days of bringing the kids to Southington HS for a Blue-White scrimmage are over. If they wanted the actual basketball fan they might have more people attend if the identified the night as a practice/drills then a 20 minute half of serious 5 on 5 basketball without music, without the womens team now that I would go to see in a split second still. My son and his buddies enjoyed this style event 10 years ago in their low teens as thats what it is now.

Reaction Score
Something that really dissapoints me is the lack of ex player support at this event. At the very least they could get a couple of them to show up. Would be cool to see. In 2014 Ray Allen and others showed up and got a huge ovation.
It's Selvie`s fault for their lack of attendance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Rarely post here, lurk a lot. I was in the crowd at First Day/Night whatever they called it back then when Ray announced to all of us that he was going to be the MAN. Dunk contest 1993. Wish there was video, maybe there is, couldn't find anything. Despite how I feel about how I think now about it, I'll never joke on anything related to first night because of that.

World class user name tho

We talkin about the beer? Or the player? Or the coach?

I was assuming the beer.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Eh. I think these first night events have played themselves out to that degree. The impact of a Ray being there or not being there doesn’t really result in a recruit committing. It’s a fun free event. Not much more.

It's mostly for kids. Which is fine. Hook em young.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Something that really dissapoints me is the lack of ex player support at this event. At the very least they could get a couple of them to show up. Would be cool to see. In 2014 Ray Allen and others showed up and got a huge ovation.

They come for the JC charity game in the summer. That's more important imo.

Reaction Score
I was at that scrimmage in Southington.

Yes I agree. It is not about the attendance so much but as a way to energize the students.

Going to the dairy bar for some moose tracks followed with a trip through the coop before First Night is a tradition for me. However, nothing beats the year at First Night after a national championship the year before.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
8AA13051-21C6-4D4C-B7BD-D4945226CFDA.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member