First Night Streaming | Page 5 | The Boneyard

First Night Streaming

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Camara's still having knee issues. Can't imagine she will be a starter.

One of the freshmen is going to be forced to start.
I don't think knee soreness will keep her from the starting lineup. Pheesa played an entire year with hip soreness. Shin splints didn't keep Crystal from starting and of course, Lou's ankle didn't keep her from starting. Yes, they missed games. But they started when they suited up. Liv may see time, but not initially as a starter. Unless of course she sets practices on fire, and I don't see that happening.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the freshmen is going to be forced to start.

You rang?

r227963_600x600_1-1.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't think knee soreness will keep her from the starting lineup. Pheesa played an entire year with hip soreness. Shin splints didn't keep Crystal from starting and of course, Lou's ankle didn't keep her from starting. Yes, they missed games. But they started when they suited up. Liv may see time, but not initially as a starter. Unless of course she sets practices on fire, and I don't see that happening.

Camara was hindered all year by that injury, one that according to reports nearly needed surgery. It's still bothering her to the point she's wearing a brace and feeling soreness. I don't think that can be dismissed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Camara was hindered all year by that injury, one that according to reports nearly needed surgery. It's still bothering her to the point she's wearing a brace and feeling soreness. I don't think that can be dismissed.

It won't be dismissed. I was under the impression that Camara DID have surgery on that knee back in April. If rest and therapy over the spring and summer did not solve the problem, now what? Can she play through the pain? Will the medical staff clear her to play? Surgery now will cost her another season unless she can get a medical redshirt. The staff was/is counting on her to make significant contributions to the team this year, possibly becoming a starter. We'll know the answer to this question by the end of November (the 2 exhibitions + 6 games). She'll either be good to go, or they'll shut her down.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You rang?

r227963_600x600_1-1.jpg

I hope not. If so, what does that say about the returning reserves? :eek: If Geno does start a freshman, I think it will be Christyn. Don't get me wrong. I'm going to root and cheer for whoever Geno starts. I have no preference.

He's going to start the 5 players on his roster that give him the best chance to win games, one game at a time.
I expect Christyn and Mikayla Coombs to get a significant amount of meaningful playing time this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Batouly looks very healthy .. she will be really good this year.
That was one of preseason questions. I think she is a key for us this year. Add to that a healthy Lou and Crystal, and Napheesa and Megan's hard work over the summer and there's a lot to like. Not to mention that Megan is a sophomore now. Looking forward to that soph jump.

That said, we're still doomed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And that is why they have their record and the women have a stratosphere record....
Absolutely, it definitely wasn't the coaching....:rolleyes:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It won't be dismissed. I was under the impression that Camara DID have surgery on that knee back in April.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe she ever had surgery. A search only brings up a shoulder operation she had at Kentucky.

I'm not certain Camara was looked at as a starter; perhaps, but had Stevens returned, which I think the staff expected, Camara could've been a valuable sub at the 4/5 if healthy. I just don't think you can count on her for anything at the moment.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I would rather see more effort put on winning, not dunking! Save the dunk for the last basket in the Final NCAA Tourney(AFTER a victory is assured).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It won't be dismissed. I was under the impression that Camara DID have surgery on that knee back in April. If rest and therapy over the spring and summer did not solve the problem, now what? Can she play through the pain? Will the medical staff clear her to play? Surgery now will cost her another season unless she can get a medical redshirt. The staff was/is counting on her to make significant contributions to the team this year, possibly becoming a starter. We'll know the answer to this question by the end of November (the 2 exhibitions + 6 games). She'll either be good to go, or they'll shut her down.
The thing is after surgery some soreness is expected and that's exactly what she's feeling now. I'm not dismissing her knee soreness, I'm just saying it won't be a factor that keeps her from starting. Someone else stepping up would be a far bigger factor.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The thing is after surgery some soreness is expected and that's exactly what she's feeling now. I'm not dismissing her knee soreness, I'm just saying it won't be a factor that keeps her from starting. Someone else stepping up would be a far bigger factor.

I'm on record as saying that if I had to guess (right now today) who that 5th starter will be, my guess is Camara.....sore knee and all. If for no other reason than she has starting experience (15 games during her freshman year at Kentucky - more than anyone else on the bench), and a personal opinion that no one else on the bench right now, would do a better job playing the post position than she would. I agree with you, right now, she's the front runner. ONO and Irwin would be the other two candidates, one of which would have to overtake her in practice for that spot.

This may change during the course of the season. It may change between now and Nov 4 (1st exhibition game vs Vanguard). I'm talking about RIGHT NOW. But what do I know? Last year I was willing to bet the farm that Stevens would be the 5th starter (I was not alone). Sadly I wuz wrong. :(

College athletes are expected to play with pain. Several UConn players played through pain the entire season last year. Minor knee pain (constantly and properly diagnosed, monitored and treated by the medical staff) should not keep Camara on the bench this season.

You know the medical staff will do everything they can between now and the Ohio State game (Nov 11) to get and keep her upright and ready to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

When was she wearing a brace on her right knee? She wears patella straps on each knee and was wearing a minimal sleeve on her left knee in the picture taken at practice, but nothing on the right knee that she injured last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

She did not have surgery.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
When was she wearing a brace on her right knee? She wears patella straps on each knee and was wearing a minimal sleeve on her left knee in the picture taken at practice, but nothing on the right knee that she injured last year.

I believe it was on her other knee, now that you mention it. She might just have chronically bad knees.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I hope not. If so, what does that say about the returning reserves? :eek: If Geno does start a freshman, I think it will be Christyn. Don't get me wrong. I'm going to root and cheer for whoever Geno starts. I have no preference.

He's going to start the 5 players on his roster that give him the best chance to win games, one game at a time.
I expect Christyn and Mikayla Coombs to get a significant amount of meaningful playing time this year.
Don't be surprised if Gordon comes into her own before the season is over. I can also see Bent and Irwin being much more effective before the end of the season. UConn has more talent than many on here believe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

All I'm saying is that Christyn is not a normal freshman. We saw the reserves, and they still have something to prove. Indications from last night suggest they are better, which pleases me, but Christyn was the consensus NPOY and impressed me in the All-American games and U-18 tourney.

Carnac

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is that Christyn is not a normal freshman. We saw the reserves, and they still have something to prove. Indications from last night suggest they are better, which pleases me, but Christyn was the consensus NPOY and impressed me in the All-American games and U-18 tourney.

I completely agree that Christyn is not a normal freshman. She may very well play herself into the staring lineup like Lou did her freshman year. I believe it was mid to late January when Lou was promoted to the starting lineup.
It may come down to: is Christyn more valuable to the team starting or coming off the bench? We'll see Nov 4. I think the 5 that start THAT "exhibition" game (Vanguard) also starts the Ohio St. game Nov 11.

Reaction Score
don't forget that UConn has to replace 39.4 points per game due to graduation............KLS and NC may pick up a few of those points but it's vital that Walker, CD and the two freshmen pick up the majority of that slack.......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
don't forget that UConn has to replace 39.4 points per game due to graduation..KLS and NC may pick up a few of those points but it's vital that Walker, CD and the two freshmen pick up the majority of that slack..

Think you can forget about scoring 88 PPG again.

Reaction Score
Think you can forget about scoring 88 PPG again.

certainly against the better teams but hopefully CW will get major minutes and average 12-14 ppg, MW should be around 14-16 ppg, ONO and Camara if healthy might combine for 12-14 ppg..............

Reaction Score
I completely agree that Christyn is not a normal freshman. She may very well play herself into the staring lineup like Lou did her freshman year. I believe it was mid to late January when Lou was promoted to the starting lineup.
It may come down to: is Christyn more valuable to the team starting or coming off the bench? We'll see Nov 4. I think the 5 that start THAT "exhibition" game (Vanguard) also starts the Ohio St. game Nov 11.
I think it will come down to if she can defend and keep her player in front of her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Being NPOY and doing well in the other games you mentioned does not come close to what she will see at UConn practices and games against the better teams UConn will play this season. I believe some of the expectations some on this board have for Williams are much too high. I believe her defense is going to need a lot of work and will hinder her from getting a lot of playing time initially.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom