First Night Streaming | Page 4 | The Boneyard

First Night Streaming

Reaction Score
She will make the dunk this year. I am pretty sure since she was almost there.

1539399709491.png

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I didn't get to see any of First Night so I appreciate the analysis and feedback...most of which was quite positive. With Lou, Pheesa and Crystal sure things and Megan "probable" by most accounts, any clues regarding who will join that quartet in the opening game starting lineup?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Not sure what to make of this.

Auriemma described how he took a less hands-on approach this offseason, giving the players more freedom than he had in the past. For instance, he allowed players to set their own schedules concerning practices, academics and just about everything else. His hope is that by taking more responsibility, certain players will naturally gravitate toward leadership roles both on and off the court.

“I think in the general sense, you’re finding that it’s less and less prevalent that kids come out ready to lead,” Auriemma said. “It just is. I’ve noticed that over the years. It’s a little more of a difficult task, first of all, to identify kids who want to lead. When you say you want to lead, you’re putting yourself out there. That’s not really what the world is all about today. They put themselves out there, but not in a way that we’re asking them to put themselves out there. This isn’t about, ‘Hey put on Instagram that you’re a leader.’ It’s like actually doing it. And when you don’t do it, here’s the circumstances.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Liv missed all 3 attempts. Back rim on the first 2, then front rim. I think she elevates better when running than when dribbling.

She took off too far from the basket. She didn’t have enough “lift” to take off as far away as she did.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I didn't get to see any of First Night so I appreciate the analysis and feedback...most of which was quite positive. With Lou, Pheesa and Crystal sure things and Megan "probable" by most accounts, any clues regarding who will join that quartet in the opening game starting lineup?

Walker for sure. Right now it’s anybody’s guess who the other starter will be. Over the next 3 weeks, you can bet somebody is going to separate themselves from the crowd during practice. That will probably be your 5th starter.

I’ll be surprised if Coombs and Camara are not in the regular rotation somehow. They both should be ready to go this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Lou has positive vibes coming her way from Europe. Sister Karlie is now wearing Lou's #33. By the way, in the picture can any of you name who #22 is(front row center). Dont look it up, try and guess. View attachment 35166

There’s so many young looking baby faces on this team, they look like a high school squad.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Batouly looks very healthy .. she will be really good this year.

She could very well be the 5th starter. Don’t forget she started 15 games at Kentucky her freshman year. She’s 2 years older, stronger and smarter now, she’s chomping at the bit ready to go!!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“We need to find two new starters and to develop depth,” Auriemma said. “We’ve got 11 players. That’s OK if they’re the right 11.”

Samuelson is still working her way back form left ankle surgery in April.

“She’s dealing with a little soreness, which will happen coming off surgery,” Auriemma said. “She had two good practices.”

Sophomore guard Mikayla Coombs is going 100 percent after missing the NCAA Tournament in March. Junior forward Batouly Camara is still dealing with some soreness in her knee. Sophomore guard Lexi Gordon, who has had a good preseason for the Huskies, tweaked a hamstring during Wednesday’s opening practice.
“It’s going to be a season-long thing for us. We have to do our best to keep everyone healthy and everyone available,” Auriemma said.

Geno on the lookout for 2 more starters

Reaction Score
“We need to find two new starters and to develop depth,” Auriemma said. “We’ve got 11 players. That’s OK if they’re the right 11.”

“It’s going to be a season-long thing for us. We have to do our best to keep everyone healthy and everyone available,” Auriemma said.

maybe Geno won't play his starters up 35 points in the fourth quarter against Houston this year............

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good news and bad news from First Night:

The only "bad" news I saw was that Liv missed all 3 dunk attempts. I thought she would nail at least one.

Three recruits were there, though maybe not everyone that some Boneyarders wanted.

Lou shot the ball like ... well, like Lou. Or Allie Quigley. Or Sue Bird. Or Diana. We have Lou and no one else does.

Crystal looked really good. Her shooting range is near half court.

Batouly had no knee brace.

Lexi looked much better than last year.

Michaela played in the half-court and full-court games, so she has been fully cleared.

Megan looked solid. Like an oak tree.

I guess I hallucinated on Liv's dunking. Thought she made the first.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some positivity

“I like the energy they have and it’s a good group,” Auriemma said Friday. “The fact that we’re young and not deep in a lot of places means we’re going to have to work really hard, and that’s good.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She took off too far from the basket. She didn’t have enough “lift” to take off as far away as she did.

I think she wanted it too much in front of the fans. Watching those dunk attempts got the desire of seeing her dunk knocked out of me. I was worried on every attempt that she could land awkwardly. Stay grounded. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score

“She’s dealing with a little soreness, which will happen coming off surgery,” Auriemma said. “She had two good practices.”

Sophomore guard Mikayla Coombs is going 100 percent after missing the NCAA Tournament in March. Junior forward Batouly Camara is still dealing with some soreness in her knee. Sophomore guard Lexi Gordon, who has had a good preseason for the Huskies, tweaked a hamstring during Wednesday’s opening practice.

This is exactly the type of report we need on a regular basis to be and stay informed on the latest team news and individual player progress. I’d like to read a report of this nature at least twice a week.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think she wanted it too much in front of the fans. Watching those dunk attempts got the desire of seeing her dunk knocked out of me. I was worried on every attempt that she could land awkwardly. Stay grounded. :rolleyes:

We know she’s been dunking for some time now. She will dunk in several games this year. I totally agree with you that for the moment, she should stay grounded to avoid injury. It’s going to be a long season.

We need Liv healthy and available for every game this year. If Camara continues to have complications from her last surgery, that’s going to put pressure on her and Irwin to be available and to make plays on both ends of the court when they’re on the floor.

All things in time. Let’s put winning games first on the “to do” list. If they do that, everything else will take care of itself. I am pumped and ready to start the season.

Winners don’t quit, settle or concede. Go hard in practice and leave no one behind. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score

I have a feeling that Samuelson is going to struggle a little bit the first half of this year. She is coming off surgery, missed a lot of time, will be asked to do more, and I think she will press a little bit. We can probably expect to see the freshman struggle early in the season as well. As tough as UConn's schedule is, I can see this team losing 3-4 games in the first half of the season. However, I can also see them coming together and playing lights out from say February 1st on and making a solid run at a NC as well. One thing I have learned is that you never count an Auriemma coached team out come tournament time.

Reaction Score
They will play 35+ minutes in the handful of competitive out-of-conference games. I don't expect them to go past 28 or so against most AAC opponents.
Don't forget that most UConn women's practices are more difficult that 90% of the games. Having a deep bench pays off in many ways.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that they will return to 20 ppg each.
I hope not. Meaning....Lou has a history of foot/ankle injuries and would love to see some bench depth emerge. Lou and other starters playing 25 minutes or less in most games not a bad thing.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So tell me again which recruits showed up for first night?
We know that Hannah Gusters was there--and got an offer. Natalija Marshall and Caroline Ducharme were expected to be there. I haven't seen confirmation that they were there.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The real problem with Lou coming back from her surgery is her strength and conditioning since she wasn't able to do either, nonetheless work on improving her basketball skills. She'll also need to work on her timing along with learning to trust her ankle to do cut, stops and starts, pivoting and other things. Let's remember also that last year Lou got into the habit of jumping and landing mostly on her left foot, which is a bad habit to shake. Don't expect Lou to hit the ground running. It may take a few.

ONO on the other had, along with learning the UConn way needs to work initially on her strength and conditioning. During the FIBA's I noted her winded on more than a few occasions. For her it's going to be a longer process. I don't expect much for the first 4 or 5 games. I hope she proves me wrong.

Lastly as I've been saying since the end of last season, Meg will start this year probably along with "Touly.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Lastly as I've been saying since the end of last season, Meg will start this year probably along with "Touly.

Camara's still having knee issues. Can't imagine she will be a starter.

One of the freshmen is going to be forced to start.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom