First Night Streaming | Page 6 | The Boneyard

First Night Streaming

Reaction Score
don't forget that UConn has to replace 39.4 points per game due to graduation..KLS and NC may pick up a few of those points but it's vital that Walker, CD and the two freshmen pick up the majority of that slack..
Not gonna happen. Against good teams they’ll do well to average 75-80.

Reaction Score
certainly against the better teams but hopefully CW will get major minutes and average 12-14 ppg, MW should be around 14-16 ppg, ONO and Camara if healthy might combine for 12-14 ppg....
For a change you’re being very optimistic.;)

Reaction Score
For a change you’re being very optimistic.;)

hopefully more realistic then optimistic...............those numbers should not be that challenging for the quality of those players..............optimistically they could do even better

Reaction Score
hopefully more realistic then optimistic.....those numbers should not be that challenging for the quality of those players....optimistically they could do even better
Walker maybe. I just believe you’re overrating the other three based on no track record. Camara is injury prone and both she and Ono will be foul prone and they’ll do well to just stay on the floor for any extended minutes. As for CW, other than possibly Stewart, when was the last time a UConn freshman averaged 14 a game? With the majority of the minutes and shots going to KS, NC, and CD, I don’t see her getting enough of either to create 14 a game. She’ll get opportunities because Auriemma knows he can’t afford to play hardass with the freshmen this year but I see it taking most of the season for her to get anywhere near the consistency to get even close to double figures. I hope they surprise me.

Reaction Score
certainly against the better teams but hopefully CW will get major minutes and average 12-14 ppg, MW should be around 14-16 ppg, ONO and Camara if healthy might combine for 12-14 ppg....

I think you are being a little too optimistic. I can see CW in the 10ppg range and Walker in the 12ppg range.

Reaction Score
Walker maybe. I just believe you’re overrating the other three based on no track record. Camara is injury prone and both she and Ono will be foul prone and they’ll do well to just stay on the floor for any extended minutes. As for CW, other than possibly Stewart, when was the last time a UConn freshman averaged 14 a game? With the majority of the minutes and shots going to KS, NC, and CD, I don’t see her getting enough of either to create 14 a game. She’ll get opportunities because Auriemma knows he can’t afford to play hardass with the freshmen this year but I see it taking most of the season for her to get anywhere near the consistency to get even close to double figures. I hope they surprise me.

I've been calling CW the left handed assassin for several years now...............when she's on she's really on plus she's incredibly adept at getting to the basket for easy layups.............if she gets the minutes she will score................the same for MW as many of her points should come from layups and put backs so scoring in the mid teens shouldn't be a big issue if she plays 25-30 minutes per game...........regarding ONO and Camara...........you're right they are both question marks but at least one of them better make an impact at both ends of the floor or UConn will be in trouble against the better teams..........

Reaction Score
I can see this team scoring over 80ppg, also. You won’t have Kia or Katie Lou cherry picking this year because you don’t have Gabby back there rebounding and throwing touchdowns to them but they are making an effort to shoot early & often. Our lack of size creates opportunities for us to run. Our “5” (Pheesa) will be a 3 or stretch 4 in the W and she runs like a deer in the open court. Crystal, Lou, Chrystn & Megan with her would be a scary fast break!

Reaction Score
I hope not. If so, what does that say about the returning reserves? :eek: If Geno does start a freshman, I think it will be Christyn. Don't get me wrong. I'm going to root and cheer for whoever Geno starts. I have no preference.

He's going to start the 5 players on his roster that give him the best chance to win games, one game at a time.
I expect Christyn and Mikayla Coombs to get a significant amount of meaningful playing time this year.
So little written about Coombs I had almost forgotten her. While I was not impressed by her frosh year, some show huge development between year 1-2. While I feel there is little/no chance she will start, anyone have thoughts on her ability to contribute?

Reaction Score
Agree with MOST of your thoughts other than Geno and playing hardass. Based on many years of history, when has Geno ever been concerned about changing his coaching philosophy?

Reaction Score
Agree with MOST of your thoughts other than Geno and playing hardass. Based on many years of history, when has Geno ever been concerned about changing his coaching philosophy?
Doesn't have to change philosophy, especially in practice. I just don't believe you'll see him hanging these two freshmen out to dry in public like last year's fiasco. Most years he doesn't need big contributions from freshmen but he knows he can't afford to possibly screw up these two this year. He needs them.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
After watching "First Night", I had joy down in my soul. All I am going to say is, teams will be in for a rude awakening. I seen a possible 8 man roster instead of the 6/7 man roster. Just because Azura, Gabby and Kia has graduated don't mean anything. They are still UConn, Geno Auriemma is still the Head Coach, and Chris Dailey is right by his side.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
After watching "First Night", I had joy down in my soul. All I am going to say is, teams will be in for a rude awakening. I seen a possible 8 man roster instead of the 6/7 man roster. Just because Azura, Gabby and Kia has graduated don't mean anything. They are still UConn, Geno Auriemma is still the Head Coach, and Chris Dailey is right by his side.
Well stated. We had lamented the struggles of last year’s freshmen, but it’s very possible that we may now be looking at not one, but three sophomore leaps.

Reaction Score
So little written about Coombs I had almost forgotten her. While I was not impressed by her frosh year, some show huge development between year 1-2. While I feel there is little/no chance she will start, anyone have thoughts on her ability to contribute?

Coombs is a fantastic athlete................not the greatest outside shooter but she has the ability to help the team at both ends of the court...............hopefully she'll start to show why she was thought of so highly coming out of high school.......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Coombs is a fantastic athlete......not the greatest outside shooter but she has the ability to help the team at both ends of the court.....hopefully she'll start to show why she was thought of so highly coming out of high school..
How many recruits ranked as high as Coombs and Gordon were, who stayed all four years, did not turn into above average players after being coached by the UConn staff? Those two will be very good players, imo.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coombs is a fantastic athlete......not the greatest outside shooter but she has the ability to help the team at both ends of the court.....hopefully she'll start to show why she was thought of so highly coming out of high school..
One high school coach in Georgia said Mikayla was the most athletic player he had ever seen, and I think he saw Diamond play. She has great speed and quickness. She also has very quick hands.

Reaction Score
One high school coach in Georgia said Mikayla was the most athletic player he had ever seen, and I think he saw Diamond play. She has great speed and quickness. She also has very quick hands.

I believe she was a Georgia state champion sprinter or high hurdler.......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I believe she was a Georgia state champion sprinter or high hurdler..
Coombs was an outstanding track athlete in GA competing in the 100, 400, high jump, long jump and triple jump.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Walker for sure. Right now it’s anybody’s guess who the other starter will be. Over the next 3 weeks, you can bet somebody is going to separate themselves from the crowd during practice. That will probably be your 5th starter.

I’ll be surprised if Coombs and Camara are not in the regular rotation somehow. They both should be ready to go this year.
I would LOVE it if those two became impact players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom