First Night: Recruits | The Boneyard

First Night: Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So we heard about the players, but can anyone who attended the event share any news about the recruits, specifically McDaniel? How was their behavior (i.e., enjoying themselves)?

Reaction Score
So we heard about the players, but can anyone who attended the event share any news about the recruits, specifically McDaniel? How was their behavior (i.e., enjoying themselves)?

They had to be impressed with the function. Did it influence them? Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Behavior isn't always the best indicator. Last year, Breanna Stewart looked very subdued (sometimes almost bored) at the Duke game she came to. And we all know how that turned out! ;)

Reaction Score

Per Jim Fuller: "Recruits Morgan Tuck, Xylina McDaniel and Taya Reimer were sitting with their families surrounded by plenty of UConn staff members just in case any fans or media members decided to try to get a little too close. They are all expected to be at tomorrow's practice (the recruits and not the fans and/or media)."

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Per Jim Fuller: "Recruits Morgan Tuck, Xylina McDaniel and Taya Reimer were sitting with their families surrounded by plenty of UConn staff members just in case any fans or media members decided to try to get a little too close. They are all expected to be at tomorrow's practice (the recruits and not the fans and/or media)."
Coincidentally, they all play the same position, more or less. Just like Swin, Asjha and Tamika about 6 NC's ago.

Let's just hope none of them was as obviously unhappy as Langhorne was more recently.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Looks like Rutgers scored a recruit this weekend!

#69 Precious Person 6'1 G

Congrats to them!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is a precious person.

The Rutgers recruit really is a Precious Person.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
What is that supposed to mean?
When she visited UConn on the big recruiting weekend that year, with several other recruits, everyone except her was having a great time, but she made it very obvious she did not want to be there. Probably never smiled the entire weekend, and a number of pictures documented her displeasure.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
When she visited UConn on the big recruiting weekend that year, with several other recruits, everyone except her was having a great time, but she made it very obvious she did not want to be there. Probably never smiled the entire weekend, and a number of pictures documented her displeasure.

Ohhhhhh yeah....

I remember that now!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and all the recruits since Langhorne were all smiles?

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
NOPE!

I remember Malina Howard not smiling on her visit either...

and she too ended up at Maryland!:confused:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
why was she singled out...thats my point!

Im guessing you really wanted her at UConn and was watching her very closely?

How was Bria Holmes at First Night last season?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Langhorne singled herself out because she made it very obvious she did not want to be there. Very possibly deliberate on her part, although I have no idea way. I've never seen anything like it.

And I was actually ambivalent about her because I had watched her play AAU ball and could not figure out what all the hype was about (She could not defend then and she still can't play defense, all these years later). And after her behavior during that visit I was fine with her decision ..... Harper on the other hand, I really wanted... very bummed we lost her.

Bria Holmes was fine, unlike Langhorne.... she's apparently pretty shy so she was not all bubbly like most recruits, but it seemed clear to me she was enjoying herself in her own way.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
ok... gotcha but why show up if you dont want to be there, maybe parents or AAU coach encouraged her to attend.

BTW when was that 2004/o5 or so?

Reaction Score

She SINGLED HERSELF OUT by her actions.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
ok... gotcha but why show up if you dont want to be there, maybe parents or AAU coach encouraged her to attend.

Her first year at Maryland was 2004-5 so she would have visited UConn in 2003.

Why was she there? Good question... maybe she was forced to attend as you suggest.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
welp... so its no surprise she didnt attend UConn

do you recall when Chelsey Lee attend?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Many reasons including things like pressure from parents, coaches (AAU and high school), friends and teammates, etc.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Xylina visits Providence next week. Correct?

If so, do not look for any news this week. I think X will announce in 3-4 weeks.

Taya, on the other hand, ... :)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Sheer speculation. Recruits have I think 4 or 5 official visits. We don't know the circumstance for her benign affect that day, it would be incorrect to identify it as anything really. She could have been unwell, had an argument with someone, we don't know. We don't know. That she went elsewhere could be totally unrelated.

Reaction Score
Per Jim Fuller: "Recruits Morgan Tuck, Xylina McDaniel and Taya Reimer were sitting with their families surrounded by plenty of UConn staff members just in case any fans or media members decided to try to get a little too close..."

Jim Fuller left out the not minor detail that, like the Miranda Warning in criminal law, UConn staff has implemented the Kibitzer Warning for all future First Night extravaganzas. Of course, the Kibitzer Warning has not been challenged all the way to the Supreme Court as of yet, so it may someday be overturned.

I understand that it is being tested right now in a lower court in Tennessee. The ACLU is reportedly taking up the fight on behalf of Kibitzer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom