First Music Thread of the Off Season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

First Music Thread of the Off Season

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Another Van Zandt song. Never mind Dylan, or John Prine, or anybody else, he just might be the greatest American songwriter ever. This one being sung by Nanci Griffith (no slouch as a songwriter herself).

Reaction Score
Fire and Rain by James Taylor
“Taylor wrote Fire and Rain in 1968. The song has three verses. One is about a friend who committed suicide, another is about Taylor's addiction to heroin, the third refers to a mental hospital and a band Taylor started called The Flying Machine. ”

Reaction Score
Ed Bruce was a helluva storyteller as well. A bunch of his songs were made famous by others and I thought he should have been better recognized as an artist. YMMV

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Short song from Collin Raye. Just 2 verses, the chorus is the same but the context totally changes from the first time to the second time. Try not getting choked up listening to this one.

Reaction Score
Maria McKee had enough energy to front 3 or 4 bands at the same time...sometimes made it hard to understand her lyrics.
(the lyrics are posted in the sidebar on YT)
Nobody could rock a granny dress and cowboy boots like she could, either.

Reaction Score
I know I said I was done but I really enjoy these music threads and get introduced to a lot of new music, really hard to back away from the keyboard once I get started.
Thanks to all the posters that expand my music enjoyment.

Yet another in the Emmylou theme... whoever came up with the idea to tour with Mark Knopfler, thank you. GREAT CD & DVD from this collaboration.

Story of a struggling race car driver. A lot of really solid musicianship on display here.

Reaction Score
A Cajun story:

Thanks for this, I think I have most everything they published and there are no clunkers. Was gonna link 'You Don't Get Much', but was waffling on the 'ballad' aspect of the OP. Great stuff from them, the 'Joe Dirt Car' live set is gold.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
On September 27, 1903, arguably the most famous train wreck in U.S. history, the wreck of the old 97, occurred in Danville, Va. The mail train was in route to Spencer in Rowan County.

Late leaving and under company orders to get back on schedule, engineer Joseph A., “Steve” Broady had the steam engine rolling at about 90 miles an hour, way too fast for safety.

Nine people of the 18 railroad and post office employees on board, including Broady, were killed immediately when the train left the Stillhouse Trestle and crashed into a ravine. Three others died later of their injuries.

Old97Wreck.jpg

There are several versions of this song, including Johnny Cash. I like this version by The Seekers

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom