First day of practice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First day of practice

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
We will all see how this team looks next month.
I wouldn’t worry too much. I think they will be just fine. Harper has some good talent and they will have a good team. My question is replacing Davis. She had some monstrous 2nd half and 4th quarters to secure a win.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t worry too much. I think they will be just fine. Harper has some good talent and they will have a good team. My question is replacing Davis. She had some monstrous 2nd half and 4th quarters to secure a win.
Yes Davis did play big at times. Dye had some big moments last year also. See what she did against Texas A&M. I understand a couple of the freshman Wynn and Miles have speed.

Reaction Score
I think part of that is because Pat's health. It's not easy replacing a legend. UCLA men have one national title since Wooden left.
Replacing a legend is tough, BUT not sure that applies to Tennessee here. ANY coaching change is a challenge. Pat left after the 2012 season. In the following 4 years....Tennessee went to the Elite 8 ...3 times and the Sweet 16...1 time. SO...they pretty much held serve with what was going on in the 4 years PRIOR to Pat stepping down. To ME...that's not dropping off. AND...the talent was there. So I don't think it was about Pat's health...rest her soul. I'm being objective here. Tennessee fans were upset when Evina left and trashed her on the way out the door. She only said what others weren't willing to say. They just left and the list is LONG and not that far in the past (Destiny Salary, Zay Greene, Massengill, Mimi Collins) You don't start bleeding players *before the transfer portal craze" if there isn't some issue(s). I don't know who or what is to blame, BUT there was clearly a problem beyond Xs and Os. Harper has to stabilize that first before Tennessee gets back in the hunt. NOW TN has been a National Champion after dropping TEN games during a season, but the likelihood that happens again is slim.

Reaction Score
It's good to be optimistic. I am every year, mostly because I have to be lol. But I am also realistic. 3 of the FF has been written already. And there are many teams better that Tennessee for that 4th spot. Especially this year when many very good teams top seniors opted to stay the extra year and added excellent depth through the GIANT PORTAL of transfers lol

Reaction Score
It's good to be optimistic. I am every year, mostly because I have to be lol. But I am also realistic. 3 of the FF has been written already. And there are many teams better that Tennessee for that 4th spot. Especially this year when many very good teams top seniors opted to stay the extra year and added excellent depth through the GIANT PORTAL of transfers lol
So are you saying the FF is an impossible dream?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Replacing a legend is tough, BUT not sure that applies to Tennessee here. ANY coaching change is a challenge. Pat left after the 2012 season. In the following 4 years....Tennessee went to the Elite 8 ...3 times and the Sweet 16...1 time. SO...they pretty much held serve with what was going on in the 4 years PRIOR to Pat stepping down. To ME...that's not dropping off. AND...the talent was there. So I don't think it was about Pat's health...rest her soul. I'm being objective here. Tennessee fans were upset when Evina left and trashed her on the way out the door. She only said what others weren't willing to say. They just left and the list is LONG and not that far in the past (Destiny Salary, Zay Greene, Massengill, Mimi Collins) You don't start bleeding players *before the transfer portal craze" if there isn't some issue(s). I don't know who or what is to blame, BUT there was clearly a problem beyond Xs and Os. Harper has to stabilize that first before Tennessee gets back in the hunt. NOW TN has been a National Champion after dropping TEN games during a season, but the likelihood that happens again is slim.
I think Harper has stabilized a lot of what happened before she came. I have seen growth with in the program. There were no losses to unranked teams last year.

Reaction Score
lol Yes, for Tennessee this particular season along with a whole lot of other very good(top 25)teams. There are far too many variables to predict who that 4th team will be but there's enough information to know many teams who WONT be.

Reaction Score
Define big.
25 wins overall. Make the E8 or FF.

Coach Harper has been as far as the Sweet 16 ONCE, and it wasn't with either of the P5 teams she's coached. That's in 17 years as a HC. Final 4 this year? Chances are between slim and none.

I'll believe it when I see it. Also Tennessee hasn't been to the Final 4 since 2008, and they've had plenty of teams loaded with talent.

I think Tennessee has the potential be really good this year but I don't see a final four in the cards for this season. A sweet 16 run seams reasonable. This season will likely be a huge one for Harper and her legacy/longevity at Tennessee will depend on how it turns out in my opinion.

And they lost to a Michigan team, which on paper, shouldn't have been a loss. Putting them onto a Final Four radar in pre-season is a reach.

I agree that I believe they'll be better this year, especially thanks to the 2021 class coming in. I'm also rooting for Horston to have a strong season. I think both she and Burrell can work really well together when they've on the court at the same time.

Lol Volnation believe they will win the SEC, make the final four and Burrell will be SEC POY… they sure can dream can’t they?

Damn, y'all spin narrative and cherry-pick context that would make the reddest pro-trumper conservative GREEN with envy. Do any of you - while you're slavering over the gleeful prospect of attacking a Lady Vols fan - not even realize that even if you're all RIGHT, it doesn't make stwainfan WRONG??

While I feel the Final Four will be a tough row to hoe for the Vols, the Elite Eight is more tenable a prospect. But the team will have to improve in several areas......

Reaction Score
Damn, y'all spin narrative and cherry-pick context that would make the reddest pro-trumper conservative GREEN with envy. Do any of you - while you're slavering over the gleeful prospect of attacking a Lady Vols fan - not even realize that even if you're all RIGHT, it doesn't make stwainfan WRONG??

While I feel the Final Four will be a tough row to hoe for the Vols, the Elite Eight is more tenable a prospect. But the team will have to improve in several areas......
How am I cherry picking when I say a Final Four prediction in the pre-season is a reach? And what narrative are you spinning thinking my response was an attack?

I watch a lot of Vols games and have hope for them to do better this year. I'm also realistic and expressed my thoughts based on what I watched last year and the roster they have this year.

Reaction Score
Thinking the FF is very unlikely for LVs but who here had AZ as a preseason FF and/or finals team last year?

Reaction Score
I look at Tennessee being a strong sweet 16 team. Possibly can slip in the elite 8. If they're in the right region.

Their floor can definitely be another second round exit though.

But.... They're gonna have to get over UK, A&M, LSU, Georgia, and Arkansas...even Mississippi State.... SC is the clear cut best team. But Tennessee gonna have to show they are #2 to get the proper seeding to advance. The inconsistencies gonna have to go away.

Reaction Score
Thinking the FF is very unlikely for LVs but who here had AZ as a preseason FF and/or finals team last year?
Not me and I have a rooting bias because Pellington is on the team. I thought Final Four was a reach for them last year during pre-season.

Reaction Score
How am I cherry picking when I say a Final Four prediction in the pre-season is a reach? And what narrative are you spinning thinking my response was an attack?

I watch a lot of Vols games and have hope for them to do better this year. I'm also realistic and expressed my thoughts based on what I watched last year and the roster they have this year.

stwainfan gave TWO options - not just you, but EVERYONE since his/her post focused on only ONE of those two options, totally ignoring the other one.

That is the Webster's dictionary definition of cherry picking. They would've served themselves better had they disagreed with BOTH of those predictions, but no one did. Plus, he/she was only responding to another poster who specifically requested he/she to "reach" with a prediction. Choosing that moment to tag-team him/her for it was pretty convenient for you.......

Reaction Score
stwainfan gave TWO options - not just you, but EVERYONE since his/her post focused on only ONE of those two options, totally ignoring the other one.

That is the Webster's dictionary definition of cherry picking. They would've served themselves better had they disagreed with BOTH of those predictions, but no one did. Plus, he/she was only responding to another poster who specifically requested he/she to "reach" with a prediction. Choosing that moment to tag-team him/her for it was pretty convenient for you.......
Tag team? From what I've noticed people reply in this manner on BY all the time. How that's interpreted as a tag team approach, I don't understand.

Regarding that it's better to disagree with both, I'll disagree with you there. I don't see how that is any better in comparison to agreeing with one opinion while disagreeing with another. I didn't disagree with Elite 8 as I think that's feasible.

Reaction Score
I was cherry-picking the FF comment but I also said it was NOT only Tennessee but many other very good teams who would not make it to that level so you took my comments out of context.
We all are just having some fun poking at each other on here so I don't think anyone was being malicious. I(and probably many others on here)first became a fame of WBB by way of Tennessee and/or UConn.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Good grief! Shut up!!!! You are so annoying lol
Actually, I think BOTH you and @Zanzman had moments of questionable responses.
MDoggie asked a question of our logical Tenn LV fan (as opposed the kooks on the VolNation board) and they gave their opinion- MDoggie then “mocked” the opinion- so YES that was wrong.
Zanzman properly pointed that out but unfortunately added the word “classless” which was a bit aggressive

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I disagreed with both. I posted that the S16 was this team's ceiling.

Ridiculous post, btw.

Reaction Score
I disagreed with both. I posted that the S16 was this team's ceiling.

Ridiculous post, btw.

Who cares what you said? My post didn't respond to you. Trying to take a post that doesn't respond to you, as a post that is responding to you, is a ridiculous post......

Reaction Score
Tag team? From what I've noticed people reply in this manner on BY all the time. How that's interpreted as a tag team approach, I don't understand.

Regarding that it's better to disagree with both, I'll disagree with you there. I don't see how that is any better in comparison to agreeing with one opinion while disagreeing with another. I didn't disagree with Elite 8 as I think that's feasible.

Tag-teaming a poster is drawing a poster into discussion - like asking direct questions - and then attacking said poster for that discussion they were drawn into having - like giving answers to those questions.

Your argument even supports MY position: you say you agree with his/her projection as a EE team as one of his/her options, but you made NO statement to that fact. Instead, you ONLY criticize the FF projection as a reach. Why? In essence, you admit NOW that you actually AGREED with stwainfan's projection: that Tennessee would reach EITHER the Elite Eight OR the Final Four. But you didn't SAY that, until now. Why?

Because you cherry picked.....

Reaction Score
I was cherry-picking the FF comment but I also said it was NOT only Tennessee but many other very good teams who would not make it to that level so you took my comments out of context.
We all are just having some fun poking at each other on here so I don't think anyone was being malicious. I(and probably many others on here)first became a fame of WBB by way of Tennessee and/or UConn.

Thank you for admitting that you actually cherry picked. It seems one cannot "poke fun" at other posters without many taking it seriously, as if their family reputation was impugned.

I was not claiming posters here were being malicious. I was just claiming that they were cherry picking, tag-teaming stwainfan, and attacking only ONE of the TWO possible projections for his/her team that he/she gave at the direction of one of those same posters, without even bothering to address the OTHER option.

I even provided in my initial post - the last sentence I post - the CORRECT form of debating stwainfan's projection, but no one even seems to have noticed that. They just focused on the initial paragraph.

They all cherry picked MY post, too...... :eek: :D

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Who cares what you said? My post didn't respond to you. Trying to take a post that doesn't respond to you, as a post that is responding to you, is a ridiculous post......
But you said this: "stwainfan gave TWO options - not just you, but EVERYONE since his/her post focused on only ONE of those two options, totally ignoring the other one."

The EVERYONE claim is demonstrably false.

No biggie. Still silly.

Reaction Score
Tag-teaming a poster is drawing a poster into discussion - like asking direct questions - and then attacking said poster for that discussion they were drawn into having - like giving answers to those questions.

Your argument even supports MY position: you say you agree with his/her projection as a EE team as one of his/her options, but you made NO statement to that fact. Instead, you ONLY criticize the FF projection as a reach. Why? In essence, you admit NOW that you actually AGREED with stwainfan's projection: that Tennessee would reach EITHER the Elite Eight OR the Final Four. But you didn't SAY that, until now. Why?

Because you cherry picked.....
That's your interpretation and again, that's the first I've ever seen that term used in any of the threads I've participated in. Many have done the same back to me and I've never taken it that way.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom